MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p Thought I'd start a new post after reading a comment from Ken Shapiro in Baltimore in a "Foot catching on steering column" post in faults.

Purely in fun Ken how can the right-hand side for the steering wheel be wrong? Way before the internal combustion engine, traffic, horse, chariot you name it always past on the right.

It all stems from jousting and a man keeping a lady on his left arm so leaving his sword arm free in the event of combat.

Indeed the "new world" like the rest of the world travelled on the left of a road, until the French in a bid to confuse the English forces changed to the right during the 100 year war! Anyone going to Calais in the summer can see that it probably worked. The Americans followed suit as a sign of defiance against the English after the war of independence.

So drive on the left, pass on the right hand side, but above all remember don't pull to the side in your MINI! It's only a car but Wow what a car.:D :p

·
Registered
350 Posts
The story I heard about why we Yanks drive on the right is this: As commerce expanded westward into new territories on straight new roads, wagonbuilders ("wainwrights") built huge wagons. These were pulled by teams of 6, 8, or 10 horses or mules. The teamsters, carrying their whips in their right hands, would walk along on the right side of their teams so they could reach all the horses. Any smaller vehicles they encountered on the roads had to accomodate the big boys.

My theory about why they drive on the right on the Continent is: Yankee tank drivers during WW2.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Applejack said:
:p Thought I'd start a new post after reading a comment from Ken Shapiro in Baltimore in a "Foot catching on steering column" post in faults.

Purely in fun Ken how can the right-hand side for the steering wheel be wrong? Way before the internal combustion engine, traffic, horse, chariot you name it always past on the right.

It all stems from jousting and a man keeping a lady on his left arm so leaving his sword arm free in the event of combat.

Indeed the "new world" like the rest of the world travelled on the left of a road, until the French in a bid to confuse the English forces changed to the right during the 100 year war! Anyone going to Calais in the summer can see that it probably worked. The Americans followed suit as a sign of defiance against the English after the war of independence.

So drive on the left, pass on the right hand side, but above all remember don't pull to the side in your MINI! It's only a car but Wow what a car.:D :p
Buggers, pinched my flag (good job I keep a spare handy)......sheesh whats the world coming too. Don't park your MINI outside.....I'll nick your badge!!!;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Applejack said:

Oh come on, We English hate the french (note the lack of capital letter!), and everyone else drives on the WRONG side of the road. Simple.

:D

Ps. And don;t expect any sympathy after pinching my flag either........;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
We drive on the right, but why do we have LHD?

Clutch Cargo said:
The story I heard about why we Yanks drive on the right is this: As commerce expanded westward into new territories on straight new roads, wagonbuilders ("wainwrights") built huge wagons. These were pulled by teams of 6, 8, or 10 horses or mules. The teamsters, carrying their whips in their right hands, would walk along on the right side of their teams so they could reach all the horses. Any smaller vehicles they encountered on the roads had to accomodate the big boys....
Even though the US has a long history (pre-automobile) of traveling on the right side of the road, many early cars, from literally hundreds of different American car manufacturers in the early 1900’s, were often produced in RHD or LHD form without either one being regarded as the "proper" side for the steering wheel . After all, one benefit of RHD is that it made it very easy for the driver to get out of the car on the curb side without having to walk around the car.

However, sometime circa 1913 Henry Ford decided that all mass-produced Model T cars would only painted black and only be made in LHD form for the US. Since the Model T outsold every other car combined, it appears that this production decision -- not which side of the road we drove on -- is what helped create the lasting standard of LHD for the US. :)

---------------

I'm weird enough that I wouldn't mind a new MINI Cooper S in RHD form to match my classic 1965 Mini with RHD. :cool: If only BMW would consider making it available in this country...

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: We drive on the right, but why do we have LHD?

BruceK said:

I'm weird enough that I wouldn't mind a new MINI Cooper S in RHD form to match my classic 1965 Mini with RHD. :cool: If only BMW would consider making it available in this country...
Might be a spare one in Brisbane around Sept/Oct 2002 Bruce (What colour would you like?).

I'll enquire about postage......

:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts