MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

i have just received my newman cam, please could some one help me with a step by step guide for a dummy with reguards to fitting it. I am really itching to see what sort of power i can gain from it!!!
:red:

Many Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
107 Posts
its not a hard job, but if your not mechanically minded i would advise against it. If you do not lock the timing correctly then you could bend all your valves, damage internals etc... Your better leaving this to the pros, besides it will cost you a couple of hundred to get it fitted tops.
rather than a new cylinder head + fitting...

Think....Be Safe :D

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Not a hard job really, I did mine when I swapped my cylinder head.

All steps are straight forward the only part you need to take care with is resetting the timing chain tensioner and marking up the timing chain with the mark on the sprocket/gear. You will need a tool as well for holding the gear whilst you undo the bolt which holds the gear onto the camshaft ( I made one when I got to that point).

If you buy a Bentley manual it tells you all the torque settings you will need and the sequence for removing and re-assembling the cam caps. Or I may be able to post them up if I can scan pages if I can fit the book on the scanner

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any more info or detail at all pics would be great if thats possible

Many Tnaks for all help

really want to get it sorted this week if poss!!!

cheers

Philly :p

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
surely it would be a good time to do the head. Seems a shame to rip it all off only for a cam. trust me changing the head is worth it. Kill 2 birds one stone

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would if i had the money but at the moment i am trying to build a z car for racing as well as give my cooper s some love and tweeks. From what i have herd the cam gives quite a bit of power even with out the head and so the cam it was

Phil

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would if i had the money but at the moment i am trying to build a z car for racing as well as give my cooper s some love and tweeks. From what i have herd the cam gives quite a bit of power even with out the head and so the cam it was

Phil
Get a Bentley Manual and have at it Phil!

Here's a few pics of my Ultrik cam swap from my NAM thread(see page 2 for photos).

MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - OBX ATB Diff, Clutch, and Cam

What are the base specs for the Newman camshaft?

Jeremy

·
Registered
107 Posts
your allowed to copy more than 25% of a book and its ok as long as i dont sell it?
Then my friend can i just ask, why on earth anyone buys books if you can get a copy for free...and if this was the case you would be able to download books legally....
i find it hard to believe thats all....

·
Registered
460 Posts
its for reference, your not allowed to re publish it in anyway and your only allowed 1 25% per book as a lot of books only had limited print runs etc so its the only way, to saw if Jaw photocopied the relevant pages and lent them to the OP this is allowed

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
your allowed to copy more than 25% of a book and its ok as long as i dont sell it?
Then my friend can i just ask, why on earth anyone buys books if you can get a copy for free...and if this was the case you would be able to download books legally....
It's all about helping people out here, I'll remember to avoid your thread(s) when you need help;)

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
In a lot of case you can get books for free, its called a library ;) :p

On a serious note, i was shocked about the 25% thing. Is it supposed to be less than 25% (<25%) or more than 25% (>25%) as more than is even more :eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so i thin i may have enough info to help me sort this one. I am going to try and have a bit of a go at it today if i have the time.

Will let you know how i get o as well as if i have fooobared it up lol!!

I will post up a step to step guide with problems area of dificulty etc once or if i manage to get it all sorted. Only thing is i dont have a camera at the moment to get pics but will see what i can do

cheers

Phil

·
Registered
362 Posts
So does someone with a bentley manual, fancy scanning it, and splitting it into 4 (25%)downloadable files? :p I promise ill only download one file.....:p

On other forums, not to do with MINI's this is very common.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
ok so i thin i may have enough info to help me sort this one. I am going to try and have a bit of a go at it today if i have the time.

Will let you know how i get o as well as if i have fooobared it up lol!!

I will post up a step to step guide with problems area of dificulty etc once or if i manage to get it all sorted. Only thing is i dont have a camera at the moment to get pics but will see what i can do

cheers

Phil
make sure you mark up the cam and crank positions and you cant really go too wrong. :) Hardest part is undoing and tightening the tentioner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts