MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am really interested in getting the new mini, but I live in Wisconsin and was wondering how they handle the winter weather. Could someone who has a new one or an old one, please give me some info about the mini does on ice and snow?
Thanks,
Andy

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
On 24-09-2001 19:58 andrewebel wrote:
Hi,
I am really interested in getting the new mini, but I live in Wisconsin and was wondering how they handle the winter weather. Could someone who has a new one or an old one, please give me some info about the mini does on ice and snow?
Thanks,
Andy

Well it is probably the same as any other front wheeled drive car on snow and ice that has traction control.

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 24-09-2001 19:58 andrewebel wrote:
While I\'m out tonight with my balaclava, wheel brace, trolley jack and bathroom scales measuring alloy wheel weights, I\'ll look out for some snow, but I wouldnae hold out much hope in September in England 8)7

·
Registered
26 Posts
MINI in snow? Give me until February, and I\'ll let you know... just don\'t ask me to try the first trip over the Dales with traction control off, OK? :)

·
MINI2 co-founder
653 Posts
andrewebel - hiya, off topic, but nice to see someone else from Cheeseland on here...I\'m up at the Uni in Eau Claire till December. If your ever up in the area let me know.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually,you\'ve just reminded me. I was inspired the other day...

A great publicity stunt to promote MINI2.

MINI goes skiing!!! A MINI2 adventure!!! :party:

Toyota managed to persuade the people at Milton Keynes Snowzone to allow them to bring in a 4x4 for some publicity shots. I kid you not, I was there 3 days in a row when the did this.

I\'m not sure they\'d let use bring in any old MINI straight off the road, but a new one from a local showroom might be a posibility.

How\'s about approaching them Paul? I\'m sure that French guy in charge of the Snowdome now would jump at the chance for some more publicity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think at the moment there are no experiences driving the
new MINI in the snow, are there??

Probably we here in Austria will be one of the first to make this experience.

Through the winter I usually have a front wheeled VW Golf TDI (sponsored by a producer of snowboards) with ESP and I do thousands of kilometers in the alps on mostly snow covered roads every year. My experience: front wheeled cars are much easier to handle on snow than rear wheeled cars.

I\'m sure, that ASC+T will be very helpful for traction especially on snow or even on ice!
But I don\'t know if the traction control in the MINI is really helpful in critical situations (and i mean real critical ones) on slippy roads, cause ASC+T is not similar to ESP (ESP is great on snow!!). The ESP equivalent of BMW is called DSC. ASC+T is actually a slimer version of the DSC. Its acutally only a traction control, whereas ESP or DSC are not only a traction control but also help you if the car gets out of control by automatically breaking single wheels. Last february made the experience (in a BMW Z3 2.8 with M-sport supension), that ASC+T makes such critical situations (in my case on a road coverd with ice on some parts) even worse, especially in the winter. Had to work really hard to get the car back under control!!! Even if this situation was quite extrem!!!

Hope the S will have DSC as a standard!!!

mr. wildride B)

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 25-09-2001 15:14 mrwildride wrote:
. . .whereas ESP or DSC are not only a traction control but also help you if the car gets out of control by automatically breaking single wheels.
If DSC can mean I end up with broken wheels, I\'ll be sticking with ASC-T :p

·
Registered
906 Posts
What matters most is which tyres you fit. Its no good expecting miracles from the electronics if you are driving on slick style tyres.
I will be fitting a set of Michelin Alpin 185/60 15s. Once fitted you wouldn\'t know that snow or ice was supposed to be slippery!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Perhaps someone has had a chance to go for a quick spin in the white stuff? Any East Coast owners out there?

·
Registered
96 Posts
andrewebel said:
Hi,
Thanks,
Andy
GREAT, BRILLIANT, EXCELLENT !!

Hand Brake Turns 'R' Us !!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts