MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm one for original designs, so yes, I prefer the first batch, but it's all personal taste.

I've seen some spy-shots of the MINI designs for the new turbo engines, and the design is, erm, challenging. Hopefully the finished product will be nice though.

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
Looks great...

Rennie said:
I can't decide if I like the new 2005 front of the MC. I think it may have been "cuter" before (yeah, okay, I'm a girl :D ). What do you all think? Do you like the changes?
to me. Seems like if you already have a pre '05 you like your front and if you get the '05 you like it. Not really a big deal to me either way. It's the car that counts for me and although it's made up of a bunch of little things I try really hard not to sweat the small stuff. It isn't easy though. :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
I Iike the earlier front for the Cooper and One, especially with Chromeline exterior as the bumper insert has much more of the look of an original mini bumper. The MINI is suppossed to be retro and look like a Mini and I think the new front was a step away from this concept IMHO.

The Cooper S didn't have the bumper inserts so this comment doesn't apply and I reckon that the new and old fronts are just as good on the S.

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Definitely prefer the pre-'05 front end of the Cooper.
One of the things I like best about my '04 Cooper is the mean looking stainless steel mesh grille - you don't get this on the '05's.
Also like the bumper strips, you know the ones you can get in chrome. (mine are Chili Red however)
Not saying the look of the '05 is a disaster, just happy to have an '04.

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
I thought the pre 05 (I have 03) chrome inserts were just genius until I saw the 05s. The look is much more subtle on the 05 and I love it. Side by side I think the pre 05s look quite dated actually. :( I'm adding new side skirts and getting my arches painted come spring time and I think I'll be switching to 05 front/rear bumpers at the same time. I love my 03. No reason to sell it just for asthetics... but that doesn't mean I can't tweak it a bit. ;)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
The new front and rear look good, but the '04 and earlier version looks better.

It's much more in keeping with the original MINI and it looks like the person who did the re-style had possibly not even seen the original Isigonis Mini. What is most worrying is that the front of the new Cooper now has styling cues in common with all of the current BMW's.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to make the car look more "modern". If you want "modern" then there are hundreds of much more modern cars to choose from!

I prefer the new tail lights and the new surround to the grill (though not the reduction in grill slats) and whoever moved the clock needs a stiff talking to! However, overall the changes mean that I will keep the '04 Cooper until the new MINI arrives in '06-'07 and see what that looks like.

Tigger.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I like the 2005 better. The grill is less busy; it just looks cleaner. The new mini IS modern, but with a retro look, so I have no problems with the changes from the "traditional" point of view. Besides, a 2005 Mini looks much more like a 2004 Mini than a 2004 Mini looks like a 1964 Mini, if that makes sense....

·
EP3 wanna be
137 Posts
Prowse said:
I'm one for original designs, so yes, I prefer the first batch, but it's all personal taste.

I've seen some spy-shots of the MINI designs for the new turbo engines, and the design is, erm, challenging. Hopefully the finished product will be nice though.
I do hope that they dun make radical changes to the car! I mean how do you re-invent the wheel? Such a great looking car - shld just leave it as it is, esp on the outside...

As for the bumper (front and rear), just change to the bodykit and all will look the same :)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
cct1 said:
I like the 2005 better. The grill is less busy; it just looks cleaner. The new mini IS modern, but with a retro look, so I have no problems with the changes from the "traditional" point of view. Besides, a 2005 Mini looks much more like a 2004 Mini than a 2004 Mini looks like a 1964 Mini, if that makes sense....
The 2000-2004 MINI is a brilliant design because, whilst it shares little with the original, its like a brilliant characature of it. It's a bit like a cartoon of a politician where, although it may look like a rubbish drawing, the politician is immediately recognisable.

The '05 facelift has just removed one of the instantly recognisable features, ie the chrome "bumpers" and replaced them with something which is completely un-MINI.

It's a bit like drawing a cartoon of Tony Blair and leaving the sticky out ears off!

Tigger

·
Peoples Republic Of Cork
1,150 Posts
BRMCooper said:
i have a brand new cooper i like the new frount but not the rear so i got the full aero kit now it all looks the nuts :D problem solved :p
And I was all set to get the Aero Kit on my 05 MC until I saw the facelift and I really like the new bumpers so no Aero now , I think it really brings home how every MINI is something special to it's owner
Gerard

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started this thread by stating that I thought the past years of the MC front was 'cuter' than the '05. But we were just at our MINI dealer and I took a good look at both the 05's and earlier versions in person (as opposed to looking at pictures) and I changed my mind (which is a woman's prerogative ;) ). I do like the 05's better which is a good thing because I get my new '05 MC in about 3 weeks! :D

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
I prefer the new smoother chrome grille which makes the nose less fussy, however I prefer the pre-July 04 thick slabs of chrome that resemble the classic Mini bumpers.

To get the best of both '04 and '05 worlds, I shall retrofit the new grille to my '04. :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think the older bumper inserts were more functional, in case of a minor bump, whereas the new strips are just for looks. I prefer the older, but like the new ones just fine. I'd be happy with whatever I got, so long is it's a MINI and handles like one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.