MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS IS CRAZY!

My MINI is really hard to get the windows clean - the side ones and the back window - its just WEIRD!

Ive tried everything, water, window cleaner, tissues the lot...why is they all marked and sticky and smeary??? - the worst bits are the back ones - where the black is - you know? it seems impossible to clean

My old car was easy to get the windows clean I JUST DONT GET IT

Im turning into Monica from friends - all this cleaning

HELP - how do I do it so it looks showroom?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
I use the meguirs window cleaner. Spray on the window wipe in with one microfibre and rub off with another microfibre. Leaves them spotless inside and out.

On the front ones i also take the rubber off from the bottom of the window and clean it too.:D

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
I personally use Auto Glym Glass polish. I know what you mean,some of the spray's do make smeary. You have to not leave on that long otherwise you get all the polish dust everywhere.

I can only do my outsides as my insides are tinted!!!

Hope thats help

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean BLACK not back - the BLACK bits on the back windows

I cant see how its so smeary and looks worse than it did when I didnt "clean" them

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
I use the megs stuff on the black bits on the windows as well, just wipe it on then off straight away and it is fine.

I dont do the inside backs though anymore as they are tinted but before i got them done i cleaned them with the same stuff

·
I can't get no sleep
868 Posts
If they are as bad as you say try vinegar and water diluted then use news paper to rub them, if the front ones smear all the time when its wet it could be the window strip that needs replacing quite a common fault.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Front one is lovely and clean at the moment - I just hope it stays that way!

Ive just brought some Autoglym Glass Polish on ebay + delivery for a fiver which isnt bad

·
Registered
154 Posts
If they are as bad as you say try vinegar and water diluted then use news paper to rub them, if the front ones smear all the time when its wet it could be the window strip that needs replacing quite a common fault.
+1 :smile: I've always had much better luck with grimy windows when using newspaper.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
I use the Halfords Glass Cleaner stuff (OK, I've started to become a bit fanatical about car cleaning stuff, but the Halfords Glass Cleaner works, so I'm not ditching it until I've finished the bottle). Some of my windows hadn't been touched in literally years, but they came up nice and shiny.

I wouldn't recommend using the newspaper, though. That was popular 20 or 30 years ago - when the inks contained more solvents; with modern inks, you don't get the same degreasing effect (and they don't turn your fingers black, either), and the paper is harsher too (maybe because some of the paper is from recycled sources).

Glass cleaner plus microfibre cloth, and if it's really mucky do it several times over the course of 2 or 3 days.

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
glad it did the job as you expected. I have tried many of the products but always come back to auto glym.

Enjoy cleaning them, you gunna need it!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts