MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never purchased anything from Ebay but i kno that my bf does a lot..
i wonder how it works? especially cars..
i was looking through one time and there was this auto transmission mini 2003 and in good condition.. for 16,000! is it possible? or can there be any defects to the car? the mileage was around 35,000.. so.. what do you guys think?
i donno.. i wanted to get a new car.. but then if i could save lots of money buying used mini i wouldn't mine! but in my local area there isn't much used mini though..
so.. just wondering how u guys thinking about purchasing a car through ebay!
thanks guys~ ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I sell quite a lot on bay (not cars though) and it is a pretty good way to buy and sell, but like everything else, it really depends who youa re dealing with. As long as the seller has lots of postive feedback ratings there is usually no problem. I think that many people see ebay as a point of first contact: from then on they sell the car as they normally would. Paying through Paypal is a good idea though, as it provides proof etc.
This is my first post by the way so hello :cool:

·
3 new text messages from.
96,277 Posts
I've used it many times with no problems at all so far.

Only ever bought stuff though, never needed to sell anything.

Checking for good feedback is a must i reckon though.

:)

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
i use it all the time.

sometimes having a paypal account makes it too easy though, end up buying things just for the sake of it!!

good thing is though if you decide you dont want whatever you have bought you can just sell it again for near enough the price you paid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2490395670&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT

that was my last impulse buy. bought it brand new, had hours of fun then sold it for £14 less than i paid for it!!

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
I have not had any issues! I will usually check out the seller's rating though! And I won't typically purchase a car on the bay... Cars are tough to buy because people usually do not have a large number of feedbacks to guarantee that they are good! Retailers on the other hand, get into the 5k-15k feedback range, and when they have a 99.3% rating, I do not even think twice!

I just recently picked up a Rogue CAI for my '05 MCS for $120US shipped to my door! Can't beat that!

·
MINI Groupie
105 Posts
My bf also buys off eBay and has purchased some older vehicles. Mostly successful purchases. One of the fixer uppers he bought was missing some components underneath plus the medallions clearly shown in the auction pictures were not on the vehicle when he picked it up. With another auction the seller was supposed to get the engine and drop it off but didn't. The story of what happened next with the auctions is a long one. On eBay, you can read up on what happens if fraud/misrepresentation happens. Read eBay's rules first so you know the limits that you are protected to.

In a nutshell...eBay is what you make of it. Meaning you have to remember you are buying a used car from a giant virtual yard sale. Some people will lie some people will be honest. ASK QUESTIONS before you bid. It is up to you to ask the right questions, some sellers will not volunteer information.

The two ways to buy vehicles on eBay are either from dealerships/car dealers or from private parties. Email or call and ask questions. Including...what happens if I get there and find something not represented in the listing? Can I back out of the deal? How much will you try to charge to do so? When you bid it is a contract to buy so exercise caution. If something seems too good to be true price-wise it probably is too good to be true!!

Go check out the vehicle in person before you bid!

·
Benny the Yellow Cab
347 Posts
happihana said:
I've never purchased anything from Ebay but i kno that my bf does a lot..
i wonder how it works? especially cars..
i was looking through one time and there was this auto transmission mini 2003 and in good condition.. for 16,000! is it possible? or can there be any defects to the car? the mileage was around 35,000.. so.. what do you guys think?
i donno.. i wanted to get a new car.. but then if i could save lots of money buying used mini i wouldn't mine! but in my local area there isn't much used mini though..
so.. just wondering how u guys thinking about purchasing a car through ebay!
thanks guys~ ;)
Was the $16,000 a Buy It Now price ..or the Opening Bid...was there a Reserve showing? I ask since seeing a figure of $16,000 does not mean that the car can be bought for that.

Having said that, I bought our CR-V - a 2000 model with 30,000 miles on it for $11,500...a terrific deal for a very clean car...bought it from a private seller with next to no feedback.

Peter..in Denver

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I've bought various things most expensive £40 so no real risk.

I think feedback is important but the items that you buy dont need to be viewable only the persons feedback from buyers/sellers.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I've just bought some stuff from someone with 0 feedback, but everyone had to start somewhere, when I first sold something I had nothing, now I've made 7 sales and have 7 positives... I'm just hoping I've trusted "the right guy"....

:)

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
good stuff generally, noticed now you get many more last minute bidders than before so the prices you see with a days or hours to go aint gonna be anywhere near what youll pay - probably!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check for good feedback.

I got suckered into buying a mobile phone from someone with zero auctions, paid my £142.00 for it via PayPal and didn't see either the phone, or my money ever again! :mad:

PayPal / eBay are less than helpful when it comes to trying to claim some kind of compensation from them too, as made clear in BBC's Watchdog the other week, as I have now found out for myself. :(

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
just out of interest steve, did you go to the sellers address at all (from ebay records)? I'd always thought these were checked from credit card records

·
MINI2 Regular
124 Posts
Ebay is great IMO

I've bought lots of items over the past 12 months ranging from handbags to mobile phones. I've never had a problem yet but it's always good to check prices elsewhere before you bid. The sat nav ( brand new) I bought from an online store was going for more on Ebay???? Go figure. :rolleyes:

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
my first dealing in ebay was to sell my jordan civic. it was in mint condition, and the bmw dealer i was getting my mini from gave me (IMHO) a crap trade in price for my civic, so i put it on ebay and sold it for about 1750 quid more than the dealer was going to give me. Having said all that, a car is a fairly major thing to buy from ebay, and im not at all sure i'd want to part with that amount of money...seems a bit risky to me, but guess if you get a good, honest, reliable seller, you're fine!

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
arbee said:
just out of interest steve, did you go to the sellers address at all (from ebay records)? I'd always thought these were checked from credit card records

Unfortunately there are alot of Fraudulent Credit Card numbers used on Ebay to register. :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts