MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After driving my MCS for a while now I've come to the conclusion that it is a difficult car to launch quickly (on a test track). Of course it could be my incompetence, but the following are my conclusions:

I think the standard ASC is pretty effective in a straight line, often lightly cutting power without illuminating so you don't know it's working at all. I've come to this conclusion as accelerating from 0-40mph in the dry with ASC switched on feels like it isn't cutting in, but switch it off, and the front wheels spin very easily even in the dry. THEREFORE IF ASC IS SWITCHED ON, YOU COULD BE LOOSING POTENTIAL POWER WITHOUT KNOWING?

Switch ASC off and I find anything above 2000rpm at launch means the car immediately hits the rev limiter, spinning the front wheels away from the line. In many cars this may be the quicker option, but I think the MCS is slower to 40mph with wheels spinning, than it is accelerating normaly with ASC switched on.

Because the car is turbocharged, if too few revs are used, say less than 1200-1300rpm I find the car bogs down, and it takes a split second for the turbo to spin up. So I think the best way is to:

• Switch the traction control off
  • Switch the sport mode on - has no effect apart from ensuring you don't use too few revs
  • Full throttle the car but lift the clutch before you hit 2000rpm

I am using runflat tyres which don't help in terms of grip, and I don't have the limited slip differential but I am not sure this would help in a straight line in 1st gear anyway. How does everyone else launch their car quickly?

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Practice makes (closer to) perfect. But learning can be just as fun. :D

Seriously though, just a matter of balancing the throttle and the clutch and just learning the limit of the tyres. And keep the traction off, otherwise you'll never learn. :)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Different kettle of fish perhaps mine being a 1st Gen S with sticky tyres and a limited slip diff, but my method is ......

- ASC off
- Select 1st
- Blip the throttle up to about 3-3.5k revs and release clutch fairly quickly
- Tyres will chirp initially for a split second, as soon as that stops, mash the throttle.

I find the biggest factor for me is tarmac. Some patches seem to have no grip whatsoever, whereas others help it stick like glue!

·
Registered
30 Posts
With TC off at 3000 rpm the wheels will spin and the car won't accelerate hard when I tried it.
Even with the ASC the wheels slip a little at the launch. You do your best in the 1st gear and you just have to make up for it in the 2nd and 3rd gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

I'm a mini newb - collecting my car next week. I'm also not used to front wheel drive as I had a WRX until recently (going for economy and practicality now).

With the Scoob launching was a case of holding the revs at 5000rpm and then side stepping the clutch :hmph:

Now I'm assuming it's going to be a lot different. How much power should I be applying and how quickly should I let the clutch out? Will I break the drivetrain if I sidestep the clutch or will it just stand still and spin the wheels?

Dumb question but I haven't a clue.

Oh, the car has the OEM LSD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts