MINI Cooper Forum banner

How does all the DTC \ DSC \ EDLC stuff fit together ?

27K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Fozzy 
#1 ·
I'm a bit confused about how all the electronic trickery works on my JCW .... having read the skimpy supplemental JCW manual, it doesn't quite match what I remember reading in the marketing blurb, and in some of the press reviews (hey, maybe the press got it wrong) ... I'm sure I'm just being dim and look forward to being put straight !

This is what I think the manual is telling me:

Press the DTC button to switch DTC on. This should only be used for conditions where you need extra traction - snow, slopes etc.

Press and hold DTC for 3 seconds to switch off DTC and DSC, and hence switch on EDLC.

What confused me was reading the press reviews that described the DSC as having two settings - press for one second to remove the first level of DSC, press for 3 seconds to switch off (which kind of matches the manual I guess)

Anyone understand how this actually works (and maybe has played with it ?)

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi David

Welcome to Mini2

DTC/DSC etc is always on from the time time you start the car 1 second for DTC off and then 3 seconds to turn the rest off. You get warning lamps in the speedo and rev counter and then a constant illuminated one. I hope this helps.

Regards,

WD:D

#3 ·
Yer, from my last BMW, DSC button, press it once, this will disable the complex traction control on the car so you can drive on slippy stuff. Like snow etc (even tho the minis are planted on snow lol) Press and hold it to take off the traction control completely (or so it would seem) I think it still does something lol. This is for things like handbrake turns etc. I havent done them cos I dont wanna kill my mini lol, but this is the general idea!

#4 ·
Thanks ... that's how I thought it would work ... but thats not what it says in the manual, so still confused ...

"DTC is a traction-optimised version of DSC intended for use in special circumstances, such as roads covered by deep snow. Under these circumstances, the system ensures maximum forward traction, but a certain cost in terms of stability. Consequently, you must exercise suitable caution when driving under these conditions.

In the following exceptional situations it may be best to activate DTC for a short time:

- When driving uphill on snow-covered roads, in slush or on unploughed, snow-covered roads.
- If the car has to be rocked out of or started in deep snow or on a loose surface
- If snow chains are fitted

Activating DTC. Press the button; the inidicator lights for DTC in the display elements light up"

Strange !

#5 ·
I think this is what theminiv was saying you are just using different language.
1 push for slippy surfaces (call it DTC if you like) - I cant confirm this one but it does agree with the manual..
3 sec push for all off (fun mode)

I use the 3 second mode all the time to test out my LSD and can confirm all driver aids are turned off ;P

But DSC wont stop a hand-brake turn since it cant change the laws of physics!
Just wait till its wet and choose an empty car park to try it out, DSC on, handbrake works a treat for 180's :D

#9 ·
Can I double check - is this JCW only? I have a MCS, but the "hold for 3 secs" doesn't appear to do anything. Holding for 1 sec switches off DSC (light shows up on dash pod), but nothing in addition happens if I hold down for any longer.

Please advise?

#10 ·
Can I double check - is this JCW only? I have a MCS, but the "hold for 3 secs" doesn't appear to do anything. Holding for 1 sec switches off DSC (light shows up on dash pod), but nothing in addition happens if I hold down for any longer.
I'm not sure when DTC with EDLC was available on other models besides the John Cooper Works, but I'll bet you car doesn't have the option.

#13 ·
How much snow would you say it's a must to have?
I'll be driving in the Viginia and D.C. area mostly where it might get to 2 inches at any one time. Unlike parts of Germany and England where it can easily get to more than that.

If I don't need DTC on my MCS Cabrio, I can use that money to spruce up the interior. Any thoughts??

#14 ·
To answer all the totally random questions! :D

Only the JCW gets the Electronic Diff (which uses the brakes to stop the wheels spinning) in lieu of a proper mechanical LSD as the MCS has (optional). it also combines this with DTC which lets the wheels spin a bit first, useful for snow and track days.

As of 2008 (I think) all minis come with DSC (NOT DTC) this is stability control and stops you oversteering or spinning out in the wet/ice or if you drive too fast - but can not change laws of physics. This is an excellent piece of SAFETY kit for a sporty car.

Derepente - if you dont get DSC as standard in the US and assuming you mean DSC not DTC which you cant have on an MCS - then its not a toy and if you drive spiritedly should come higher up your list of options than leather seats!

Before DSC cuts in you also have TCS - traction control which tries to limit wheel spin under acceleration.

I hope this is clear - let me know if not!

#15 ·
Hi Rocco9999, Thank you for responding.

The US spec cars do come with DSC standard. I did mean DTC (dynamic traction control) because its an option in the MINIUSA Cooper S convertible configurator. I agree it's a safety feature worth having if your a spirited driver.

But what about snow and ice.... I wonder why MINI doesn't make it standard for Cooper S cars?

#16 ·
Hi Rocco9999, Thank you for responding.

But what about snow and ice.... I wonder why MINI doesn't make it standard for Cooper S cars?
DTC isnt about safety it allows you more slip before cutting in. In normal snow driving you can still pull away without it.

Its really just for track days :)

#17 ·
Thanks Rocco...

I went for it after all. IT's only a $150 addition to the total price of the car since it's part of the "Sports Pack".

I see what you mean about track days, I hope to safely experience that. I do hope that having DTC will help for those days when the roads are slippery or iced over.

I want to be yelling out of sheer joy than yelling because my car went out of control.

#18 ·
Derepente - if you want to experience the difference these things make, maybe there is a skid-pan facility near where you are? The one here in Luxembourg is excellent, totally safe, and allows you to exoperience your car when you lose control. It's actually a mandatory course for all new drievrs in Luxembourg now. I have been there a couple of times with my different MINIs, and was very glad I did - when I lost it on a patch of road polluted by a diesel spillage, at least I knew how to react.

This training also made me realise that I am not a very good driver anyway.....:eek:

#19 ·
Cool, I would love to try that out. I don't know of a skid-pan facility nearby. Probably there is one, just haven't had the need till now to seek one out.

I'll have to look into that, as I want to know how to control the vehicle as best as possible and still have thrills doing it! :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.