MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've specced a cooper s with a full bluetooth kit, my dealer said that this was the cheapest way to get it ipod compatible as i am also going with a MFSW.

I'm just trying to figure out where abouts my ipod will connect and then live when plugged in and whether i can leave it plugged in all the time or whether it'll drain the battery of the car and/or ipod??

Thanks

Anna

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your ipod will plug into your USB socket. All your song titles appear in your speedo :D
So i can use the lead that i normally plug it into the PC with? Where abouts is the USB socket in the car? I've not got it yet, but i have been told that it is in transit! Woooo hoooo!

·
Registered
98 Posts
is under where the elec window switches are etc.
why do people use ipods and pay extra for the leads etc when can just use a usb stick ??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is under where the elec window switches are etc.
why do people use ipods and pay extra for the leads etc when can just use a usb stick ??
For me it's because i allready have an i-pod which has my entire music collection on it. Easier to shove that in, than 1. get a usb drive that is big enough for all my music and 2. put all the music onto it!

Plus, if it's the USB port that you are connecting it to (as oppose to aux) you already have the lead as i am pretty sure that it will be the same one that you connect it to the PC with. So if it's USb you don't have to pay any more for the leads etc... i hope!

Another week, bummer. I am fairly sure that mine is at the dealer now, but apparently they need 3 days with her first... i don't know why??

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
you can't use the ipod lead that normally goes to your computer - well you can, but i think it will only give basic functions. You need to buy a bmw ipod lead which is approx £40 i think from the dealer to integrate fully with the usb connection and work all the controls from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i dont know why they need 3 days, i work for a big car company and have bought loads of them new, and they can pdi a car in half day.
i agree with you that most people have their entire music collection on ipods, i only got a 8 gig ipod, but that is more then enough for me because i dont put entire albums on ipod, only the tracks that i like off the albums. so i would rather have a 8 gig usb stick put all tracks that i like on it and just leave it in the car. thats my 2 penny's worth lol . each to their won though :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont know why they need 3 days, i work for a big car company and have bought loads of them new, and they can pdi a car in half day.
i agree with you that most people have their entire music collection on ipods, i only got a 8 gig ipod, but that is more then enough for me because i dont put entire albums on ipod, only the tracks that i like off the albums. so i would rather have a 8 gig usb stick put all tracks that i like on it and just leave it in the car. thats my 2 penny's worth lol . each to their won though :D
Not a bad idea at all.... it'd save me having to disconnect it all the time, and there are those really annoying times when i realise it's still in my desk at work and i am the weekend without it then! Plus it seems like it is gonna cost me £40 for a lead... d'oh!

I reckon i can get a decent memory stick for less than £40!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can't use the ipod lead that normally goes to your computer - well you can, but i think it will only give basic functions. You need to buy a bmw ipod lead which is approx £40 i think from the dealer to integrate fully with the usb connection and work all the controls from the steering wheel.
Well there goes another £40 down the pan.... does it have to be BMW, or will the mini dealer have them do you know? Is there anywhere else that does them cheaper?

Thanks

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
You will be able to get the BMW iPod cable in your local parts department and they retail at £39.99, it's a Y cable with the iPod dock connector on one side and the other side it a 3mm audio jack and a usb. The normal iPod USB cable doesn't work at all for me. As for a USB stick, it works perfectly and you can see all of the info on the screen but if some tracks are named in iTunes as one thing and their file names are different then it only comes up with the file name which sucks a little. As for getting the cable cheaper I've searched and searched and there doesnt seem to be a cost effective way, BMW are tighter than........

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
No problemo, although I have discovered another way to do the iPod which is slightly cheaper. There is a product called the SendStation PocketDock with Line Out and USB which plugs into the iPod dock connector and gives a USB female and an Aux input allowing you to use a normal aux with a normal male to female USB cable and according to a collection of people on the North American Motoring website it works with the full Bluetooth. It can be bought online here https://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html for $29USD. But I use the USB at the moment and it works perfectly, just can't get my 100GB music collection on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problemo, although I have discovered another way to do the iPod which is slightly cheaper. There is a product called the SendStation PocketDock with Line Out and USB which plugs into the iPod dock connector and gives a USB female and an Aux input allowing you to use a normal aux with a normal male to female USB cable and according to a collection of people on the North American Motoring website it works with the full Bluetooth. It can be bought online here https://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html for $29USD. But I use the USB at the moment and it works perfectly, just can't get my 100GB music collection on it.
If only i could understand this technical language!! I think it'll be off to BMW for me.....

Thanks Troy ;)

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Lol to be honest I will probably end up doing the same thing, it's just easier. And on the plus side if they release a new cable which upgrades the features you can barter for the newer one on warranty!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have been to BMW and got myself the all illusive cable, i am ready to go - just need the car!!

Did pop into Mini after BMW and SHE'S THERE!!! She is so pretty.... i got to sit in her and everything but she is still quite wrapped in cradboard and plastic at the moment - bring on Saturday!!!

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
I know the feeling all too well, only took delivery of mine a few weeks ago!! had to wait two weeks from when it arrived at the dealership too until my bodykit was delivered and fitted!! What are your specs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, she is a cooper s in pepper white with body coloured roof and mirrors and the chilli pack.

She also has a LSD, the darker roof lining, cream interior line trim, piano balck finish, half leather seats (leather in black), chromeline interior, full bluetooth... i think that's it.... maybe there is more.... hmmmmm nope i think that's everything!

Your signature leads me to believe that yours may have slightly more??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts