MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yes it is that time. I have too many toys, and need to get rid of a few. However, I am not sure how one goes on to sell a brand new cooper S. it is my baby. never even seen rain. the southern CA members know me, and they know how meticulous I am.

Can you guys offer me some advise as to how I go about selling my baby?

Thanks for the help.

-Ryan

·
Registered
514 Posts
I used Cars.com to sell my 02 MC. I placed an ad Saturday morning, got my first call Sat evening and found a good home for her the next day. I had to say "sorry" to four other people who were intersted.

I think you can get a good response from advertising on-line especially if you provide good details in the ad. It seems most of the Mini's listed by dealerships don't take the time to point out the car's strong points.

Also, as a private seller you can highlight your knowledge of the car -- something most dealerships who aren't Mini dealers cannot do. An added benefit of this approach is you can pick and choose the best foster home for your baby.

I'd personally stay away from eBay. I just don't like the idea of people bidding low on the car and hoping it meets your asking price (although you can set a minimum acceptable value).

Good luck with the sales effort. :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Indimini. That is a very kind and thoughtful response. I will try it out tonight. I am not desperate to sell, so I will be picky to let it go the right buyer. Hopefully someone will come along that will take care of it like I have. :)

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Previous posts in this thread have been edited to remove specifications for the car in question.

If you would like to sell your MINI or receive feedback on it's value please become a MINI2 Privilege Member and post in the FOR SALE forum.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry MINIAC.

I haven't posted here in a while, and am not familiar with the rules. I was just asking for help on how to best sell the car.

Apologize if I broke any rules. :(

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Spy Car! How have you been! Haven't seen you in the longest.!!! Hope all is well with you.

Well Berkeley is good. Big Game was fun this year, since we are good. However, I have been really busy and haven't had much time to enjoy the school spirit.

I will be graduating Dec 11th.
Then I will be at Stanford starting january 20th for a 5 month fellowship.

Then September 05, I am starting a JD program at Yale (I just got in early App a few days ago).

With my impending east coast move, I have to get rid of many of the toys. I am sorry to see her go. But in 3 years when I am done with law, I will be back in the Mini world once again. Best Car I ever owned. Mine never did have the hesitation problems or stuble and yoyo stuff either.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
red03miniS said:
Sorry MINIAC.

I haven't posted here in a while, and am not familiar with the rules. I was just asking for help on how to best sell the car.

Apologize if I broke any rules. :(
No worries Ryan :)

There's nothing wrong with asking advice on how to sell your MINI, I just removed the specifications on your car so no one would think you were soliciting offers ;)

Good luck in selling your MINI and in Law School :D

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
red03miniS said:
Hey Spy Car! How have you been! Haven't seen you in the longest.!!! Hope all is well with you.

Well Berkeley is good. Big Game was fun this year, since we are good. However, I have been really busy and haven't had much time to enjoy the school spirit.

Then September 05, I am starting a JD program at Yale (I just got in early App a few days ago).

With my impending east coast move, I have to get rid of many of the toys. I am sorry to see her go. But in 3 years when I am done with law, I will be back in the Mini world once again. Best Car I ever owned. Mine never did have the hesitation problems or stuble and yoyo stuff either.

Best of luck in a successful future!!! ;)

However, do you have to sell your MINI?!?! Life is short and comes with no guarantees. I love driving like nothing else so I would not settle on selling. Do you absolutely have to get rid of the MINI?! :confused:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rakey
I don't want to go Ebay yet, because I feel I don't want to get into a bidding war. I posted it up in a few places, and I will see where it goes. :)

Cooper76
Thank you for the kind words. I do have to sell the mini because I have too many cars/bikes. I sold the ducati, and unloaded the LS430. THe mini will have to go as well, since the I will be renting out my house in Los Angeles. I will be in CT, and for the snow, AWD car would suffice. :) I love driving as much as the next guy, but with full time law school, I am not sure how much time I have to enjoy the Mini. Also the car is in such immaculate condition, I would hate to take it out on the snow and salty roads. I just don't have the heart for that. Had it been a daily commuter from the beginning, maybe things would be different. No worries, I will be back in a few years. :)

Miniac
Thanks for the well wishes. I will remember the new rules for next time. I am still looking for that anniversary present for my folks, the OG cooper. :)

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
red03miniS said:
Life has been great...we have a fine little boy who will be 5 months old in a week...wonderful time in my life.

red03miniS said:
Always fun to win the big game...even if we lose everything else...but this year Wow! Rose Bowl maybe, huh?

red03miniS said:
Stanford???? I think I've hear of that place...it's a college, right? ;)

Congratulations on Yale Law...fantastic!

Best of luck...look us up sometime when you get a break in the action. Well done :)

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I did more senseless driving in Grad school then I have since I've gotten a full time job. Given that New Haven is a reasonable city, I'd think the MINI would be the perfect car to keep. Put snow tires on it, and then you have a great car for whatever you need, and its easy to tuck into a garage or driveway when you're not using it.

Sure there's logic to 'babying' a car, but it doesn't really affect the value except when other cars are rusted and horrible (Like buying a 30 year old muscle car, the CA one with no rust would be worth more then one from CT with gaping holes) given that the warranty is now up to 12 year for rust, I think you'll have long graduated by the time there's any real worry of damage from winter, and thus a difference in how the car survives.

AWD isn't necessary compared to a FWD car with snow tires for somewhere that's only moderately snowy (ie southern CT)

Good luck selling the MINI if you want to, but it makes little sense to me why you're selling the car you've said in this thread is the best car you ever owned, and has been problem free. Logic would say you should sell the other toys and keep the one you like best when forced to choose.

If you get an offer for $40K for you MCS, I'd take it, but I think the market has cooled down enough that it makes sense to keep it, you can always just go buy a brand new one that hasn't seen rain or snow at a dealership - not a huge demand for someone looking for a pristene one that isn't new I would think.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spycar Congratulations on the baby! I am sure you guys are having tons of fun. :)
Yeah almost Rose Bowl, but not quite. At least Tedford will stay for a while. We will see, if the program improves to compete on a national level consistently. :)

Thank you for your kind words. You have not only been kind and generous, but a true gentleman. Real class act. Definitely keep in touch. Yeah New Haven will be a change of scenery, but that is what life is about, right?

stryder
I am actually selling all the toys. I really just want to cut all responsbilities from life, and just enjoy law school. I don't want to have to deal with parking or other stuf. I really want to stay right by school, hang out with friends, and study. I tend to be an introvert at times, and thus it will suit me well.

The Mini was a great car in the west. I used to open teh sunroof and drive the PCH aimlessly. However, I see my life going in a different direction, and I am sure the Mini will serve me well.

I put it on autotrader. I know X mas is a slow time. After the first of the year, I will put it on ebay, a nd hopefully find her a new home. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
One perk I'd mention of selling it as a private party is you aren't obligated to charge sales tax, thats a big savings imo.

Good luck selling your car and with law school!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Car is sold, and is home to new owner. In 23 months of ownership, and 6100 pampered miles, I lost $330 dollars from what I originally paid for the car.

Love the resale value. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.