MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just brought a 2004 Cooper S which I love, only thing is the rear washer isn't working and it may sound stupid but I can't find where the water should come from???

Can anyone help me??

·
Registered
18 Posts
The water comes from the wiper motor. you may find that the cover of nozzle is blocked. try removing the cover over the motor and try the washer again.

Let me know how u get on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rear washer

I have just brought a 2004 Cooper S which I love, only thing is the rear washer isn't working and it may sound stupid but I can't find where the water should come from???

Can anyone help me??
I have got the same problem, I can hear the noise from the screen washer motor, but water isn't reaching the rear window.:puzzled:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hi guys

i have had simular to what you are discribing
i have attached a picture for Dianegu if you look at the picture this is where the water comes from :) marked with the end of a cable ty

Right down to the possible cause when i first got mine my washer never worked and bmw wanted a load of cash to fix it i think £80 if i remember.
so one afternoon i started to look at it and found if you put a Stanley knife blade between the nipple which is the jet and the plastic suround of the wiper it popes out mine was full of dirt looked like someone had packed mud in it.
which i thought was strange, so i cleaned out the jet and used the washer jet system on the car to flush out the wiper housing.
it quite good i asked my mate to keep an eye out see if it was working ha ha ha o yes it was :)
anyway i have come to the conclusion that the car in bad weather attracts all the road dirt and i think that is what fills them up
this check and clean takes about 5 min and most of that was finding my stanley easy job and free good place to start

hope this helps

Attachments

·
Damned
4,518 Posts
My rear washer hadn't worked for over 3 years, so after having read some of the solutions on here, I thought i'd give it a go - after all the rear screen was getting a tad mucky by this time :eek:

Just to clarify - My car is an August 2004 Facelift MCS - some pictures may vary slightly for other years/ models

As the front washer worked fine, & no pumping whirr could be heard when activating the rear wash - I deducted that one of the relays that govern the single pumps output direction must be at fault.

To get access to the relays I first removed the panel surrounding the fuses in the passenger footwell :-

I then pulled back the rubber seal around the bottom of the door

The Trim panel can now be pulled back to reveal the relay location

The Relays can now be extracted from their mounts

The relays have a non-standard form factor - but pin configuration is normal

I prised off the protective grey covers to reveal their innards - { I know - Curiosity & Cats}
The coil resistance was checked and found to be OK - A Zero ohms reading indicates a burnt out coil

Theres another quick & easy method to check if the coils OK

OK - So strangely enough, both my relays checked out OK - & when I reinserted them into their mounts, the pump could be heard pumping at both front & rear - Must have been a bit of a dodgy connection somewhere - But although now working - NO Water is getting through to the rear jet - More investigation needed :D

The washer jet seemed blocked - not unusual as it hadnt passed anything for over 3 years

I lifted out the jet housing from its spigot tube with a pair of pliars

The hole was duly cleared - A paperclip poke, or soak in kettle anti-limescale solution should also work

And rounded off with a quick blow job

The jet can now be reinserted into its housing - Note that Jet always points vertically upwards

And there you have it - Job Done - Why did it take me 3 years to do that simple job
:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts