MINI Cooper Forum banner

How easy/expensive is changing your rims/tyres?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SunnyDave 
#1 ·
I'm just starting out in the car world and have just bought my first car, a 2015 Mini Cooper 5 door. I'm seriously in love with it.... but not so much the wheels. They are the standard 15" rims that come from the factory I believe.

I would love to change to some 17" rims, but how easy/expensive is this? Obviously the cost depends on the rims I choose, and then the tyres, but what about actually getting them onto the mini? Will any garage do this? Is it just as simple as buying the rims and tyres separately, and then giving them to the garage and they will put the tyres on the rims and then the whole thing on the car? Or do other things have to be adjusted for the new size? Steering etc? Is this whole process fairly straight forward and cheap?

Is Ebay a good place to look for used rims?

Sorry if this all sounds obvious. It's my first car and everyone I've asked in the real world doesn't seem to know specifics. To top it off, I live in Austria and don't speak German very well, so simply going to a garage and asking is a little intimidating without at least having some knowledge before hand.

#2 ·
Hi Blondie88,

It is a very simple process and there is a ton of information available out there to help. I am actually English but live in Germany and hence can understand your situation. However, I can confirm that all major garages will be able to help you install new rims/tyres. I actually did this at Vergoelst just the other day and have previously used ATU as well - not sure if you have them in Austria.

I have bought 2 sets of rims from Ebay and been very happy with the price and quality of the purchases. I then bought the tyres from the the garages and got them to fit them. I will often do this for getting a Winter & Summer set for a new car.

What you need to be careful of making sure that you get rims that will fit. As an example here

you can find the Rim width and bolt pattern that you need - you can then use these in Ebay to filter the offers.

As with everything in life make sure to check 2 or 3 times that you have a valid configuration before buying. I would also advise trying to buy locally as you might want to check for curb rash or other damage.

Have fun
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.