MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to gauge opinion of the standard fit audio systems....
I may install my own changer and head unit..but would like advice ..!
What is the quality like of the mutli cahnger with and without boost ?
Would my cash be better spent on a brand new system ? Are the standard fit speakers adequate ?
Just another dilemma to add to the one of colour ! Just need info/advice on experiences of the MINI audio systems !
Thanks..

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
Standard radio's are ok for most people but aftermarket units are better.

The only problem with aftermarket units are the hassle of fitting but there are many posts on this matter (use the search facility).

Standard speakers are adequate but I'm probably gonna replace mine soon. Depends how important sound quality is to you, how much you wanna spend etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had my car with Wave, intending to upgrade it to an after-market Alpine system. I was surprised by the sound quality of the basic Wave unit and its power output without distortion.

Wave can't drive a CD changer.

Boost is built to control a changer and is much more powerful than Wave - also has lots of extra functions like speed adjusted volume etc. This unit is much better quality than the average rubbish fitted to most cars, so don't rule it out. A Boost head unit can also drive amp's, so you may find it perfectly adequate for your needs.

·
MINIless MINI2 Master
883 Posts
I've listened to both Wave and Boost units, and the sound quality of the Wave unit is excellent and more than adequate for radio listening at moderate volume levels.

·
Man in the know!
3,957 Posts
But if you intend to upgrade, go for the wave unit.
If you get a boost unit as standard they are harder to upgrade as they are hard wired in to the car.
The wave unit is easily changed, all you need is the BMW 3 series adapter from Halfords.

I have got a sony single CD in now - it sounds amazing. If you do upgrade, use the search facility and look for gazzamans guide to upgrading - 'dash built like fort knox'

Stephen

·
MINIless MINI2 Master
883 Posts
Minty said:
But if you intend to upgrade, go for the wave unit.
If you get a boost unit as standard they are harder to upgrade as they are hard wired in to the car.
Though according to the thread "After market headunit and Radio Boost - All you need to know" - http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2968 - it should be easy. I suspect that the two different unit types now use the same connector, though early cars apparently had a different connector?

·
4,636 Posts
It's as easy to swap now as a Wave unit coz autoleads make the adaptor but why spend more money on a head unit if you're gonna swap it?

·
4,636 Posts
I need to find someone with a digital camera or a scanner near me first before I get any pics. I've got some nice (non digital) pics of me and Mike Cooper when I picked the car up.

Oh did I mention the plate on the head came unstuck?

There's a few other faults on it as well but not related to the conversion.

Actual driving wise it's brilliant. If you think people turn heads with a normal MINI then you should see them when I put my foot down in the Works!

·
4,636 Posts
You can't buy bits on their own. It's all or nothing.

Otherwise you'd have people running round with a couple of badges and an exhaust pretending it's a real one. You'd probably lose power with just the exhaust because the components wouldn't be matched to suit on the standard engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts