MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing for each season is no easy task, so throughout my many moons of buying and selling cars across this great country (40 years to be exact), I have discovered the following:
• Check your oil every week
• Always be aware of your road conditions
• Never trust a mechanic
• Protect your car during the winter
All these points have provided me with the insight and knowledge to be sure that my quality vehicles will stay as such. Having a car that is worth more than some people earn in a year is a huge responsibly, but it doesn’t have to be impossible. Keeping a record of fluids and mileage will go a long way, as will checking who exactly is the person doing maintenance on your vehicle. My final point (and the most important) is winterizing your vehicle; in all my years I have found that a car that will survive the winter, will survive a lifetime. The Number one protector during the wintertime is a car cover. I’m not one to acclaim but in this case, I have to mention www.carcover.com ; their covers have protected my vehicles like no other! With their durable and light materials, I can guarantee they will keep your car looking like new throughout the tough seasons.
In conclusion, being prepared for the changes your car and the world around it will be making play a massive part in keeping the integrity of your vehicle. Stay on top of maintenance, be aware of your cars needs and of course; buy a car cover.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a problem with car covers. There is an argument that they prevent the car drying and keep everything moist. This is a problem in areas where roads are heavily salted (like Scotland). I prefer mine to be regularly pressure washed and left to dry and see no problem with it being exposed to the elements, modern paint finishes are very durable so feel no need to encase the car in a 'bag'. I also trust mechanics when I am stuck but I do check their work if I have used one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
FWIW, I use a cover on my ragtop when snow is forecast. I clean and re-treat my roof with an autoglym kit every 6 months regardless of the condition of the roof - it has usually gained some minor mould - but as my car sits near a deciduous tree, it is more likely to collect dirt and detritus from the branches. So, whenever there's severe weather in the offing, I cover it with a cheap waterproof from Halfwits. As the car is now 9 years old, I'm hoping to avoid a 1500 quid replacement as far as possible and I have convinced myself that heavy snow is not going to do it any good.
If I can be bothered I use it when severe frost is expected too, just to save time scraping the glass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Austin_CS
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing