MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to lop my springs today...

Out with the makita and away with 3 coils!!

Its a bit rough and the car creacks abit, and the it bottoms out easily, but it sure gets some looks!!

Im really happy with it:D

Next up, my autometer guages on the vents outside and possibly a NOS install.

Todd

Attachments

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
I really hope for your sake your having some fun with this post as lopping a few inches off the springs is really not the way to go.....

I can just see the detailed posts coming as to why this is so wrong technically:rolleyes:

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
LOL.

Todd, there's better things to do than chopping springs. Driving on chopped springs is like sucide mate...

Hang on a minute, it looked photochopped.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Good 'fochopping Todd :p

Do it for real :p Go on, you know you wanna :p haha

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe... yeah, that'd just be soooo comfortable!!

maybe when I fit my monster tacho and chromies.

Todd

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont really want to increase my unspung weight and lead to bumpsteer though:p

Todd

·
729 Posts
Red&blackS said:
I dont really want to increase my unspung weight and lead to bumpsteer though:p

Todd
so if you lower your car is there a chance of bumpsteer:p Can someone help me with this concept:rolleyes: :p

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
StuJones said:
so if you lower your car is there a chance of bumpsteer:p Can someone help me with this concept:rolleyes: :p
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Don't worry, paintshop has a full exemption from suspension 101. :rolleyes:

Just for interest, I noticed that putting "bump steer" into google gets 38500 hits, which seems to be a awful lot for something that very definately doesn't exist.. LOL :eek: :eek:

·
729 Posts
swamos said:
Just for interest, I noticed that putting "bump steer" into google gets 38500 hits, which seems to be a awful lot for something that very definately doesn't exist.. LOL :eek: :eek:
Im pretty sure it exists as a line dancing move:p

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
StuJones said:
Im pretty sure it exists as a line dancing move:p
Are you sure that isn't "Hump Steer" :p :p Actually.. maybe it's the same, only where you are related to everyone else :eek: :eek: :D

EDIT: Actually, I reckon Todd might have to start a thread about his headlights not working, as I reckon he'll wear them out from the inside with a Makita chop like that ;)

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
You Graphic designers!!!!!! heheheh far to much time on your hands... at that height.. im guessing its on the bumpstops!!!!

PS: Bumpsteer is an American Analogy! Its there inability to use the correct words Toe in and Toe out!
This is an extract from the MTAA:(Motor Traders Association Australia engineers manual)
Bump steer is the toe-in or toe-out of the front wheels as the suspension goes from normal ride height through full bump. Every car has it and does it. Lowering springs if to soft can induce severe bumpsteer as its called, its usually associated with standard cut springs.
Hence seeing young kids bouncing along in there lowered cars... they are litterally bounding off the bumpstops.( must cause horrific lower back pain) :eek:

From what i read it doesnt really occur untill you hit the bumpstops. Ive heard and seen a few people debate this and in reality unless you cut your standard springs it aint going to happen from buying a reputable brand of lowering spring! (they are not stupid enough)

Oh and to add to that Due to Bumpsteer being the Toe in and Toe out ride height will unlikely cause this untill you hit the bumpstops.. its usually caused by worn lower control arm bushes and or balljoints and tie rod ends. And the reality is that you can dial it out with the right adjustments and a good wheel alignment. As any poorly alligned car will steer the direction of its misalignment after hitting a small bump.

Sorry to add technical to a very amusing thread Todd. Good work on the lowering graphics

·
Registered
209 Posts
Makita springs !

Thats the easy way out for lowering !

If you really want maximum effects you really need to take the oxy route ! Simply heat up the springs and compress them to your desired height.

Dont bother with tempering or any thing so lame, just use the she ll be wright method !

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ooohh!! Lukey's almost at 100 posts!!

Welcome to the big time:D

Sorry Erin, the Oxy is way too elite for us poor dudes in Geelong, you gota use what yous can borrow of ya neighbour:p Makita angle grinder it is:cool:

Todd

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Red&blackS said:
ooohh!! Lukey's almost at 100 posts!!

Welcome to the big time:D
What a post whore eh! :p

·
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·