MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MINI no more
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of picking a cooperS up and then adding the JCW kit (the s/c upgrade, not the bodykit). I know they handle phenomal, that is a fact. Just a few questions:

[1] Does anyone have a the upgraded JCW seats, and how much did it cost? They look like sparcos but rewrapped, if so post pics please.

[2] How does it stack up too a 330, in terms of straight line performance? Reason why I ask, is because my brother has a zhp (330 w/ performance package), and I can take him in my 540iT. Would I be able to keep up, if not beat him? If I lose to him, I would not hear the end of it.

[3] Are there any mods the the JCW kit? I know of some that won't affect the JCW like intake, ecu. But I know the kit does replace some things like the s/c and exhaust, and some other stuff.

[4] Any long term problems with the kit? Hot/Cold temp?

Thanks.
-Pearson

·
Registered
147 Posts
2] How does it stack up too a 330, in terms of straight line performance? Reason why I ask, is because my brother has a zhp (330 w/ performance package), and I can take him in my 540iT. Would I be able to keep up, if not beat him? If I lose to him, I would not hear the end of it.
Think of another car to buy. :D

·
MINI no more
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TURB CAB said:
Think of another car to buy. :D
Well, beating my brother (again, with a different car) would be just another perk. But if I were to get the JCW cooperS, I'd use it as a secondary car. I would mostly use it on the track/autoX and for whenever I want some fun. Got to keep the kms down on the 540iT, have already 42,9xxkms on it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a 330ci and then an M3. I've also had a JCW works car for day when I was thinking of buying one. In the end I went for a std S.

330Ci is obviously a six cylinder and delivers different performance and ride quality. To be honest, I don't thinki it fair to eaither car to compare against each other. Against a similar car, yes.

The JCW will keep up with the 330 but for outright power, the 330 wins hands down, but it aint as much fun as the Mini!

The M3 will obvioulsy blow the JCW away as it will almost anything.

I have a 330 Diesel Sport at present which will also blow the JCW away in straight line performance, but not on handling 0 - 60 times for obvious reasons.

You just can't compare these cars as they are all in a different category and meant for different styles of use............

·
MINI no more
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mtuk said:
I
You just can't compare these cars as they are all in a different category and meant for different styles of use............
Yes, but I was just saying that it would be nice, but it is not the main reason I would buy he JCW/Cooper S

·
Registered
121 Posts
[2] How does it stack up too a 330, in terms of straight line performance? Reason why I ask, is because my brother has a zhp (330 w/ performance package), and I can take him in my 540iT. Would I be able to keep up, if not beat him? If I lose to him, I would not hear the end of it.

[3] Are there any mods the the JCW kit? I know of some that won't affect the JCW like intake, ecu. But I know the kit does replace some things like the s/c and exhaust, and some other stuff.

[4] Any long term problems with the kit? Hot/Cold temp?

The new kit is 210bhp. It performs quite well. The JCW would give the 330 a good run around a course. Straight line it would be tight. Around corners it would win.

There are plenty of mods such as throttle body, header, ported intake manifold...

The kit should not give you any longterm problems. It is has been discussed at great lengths by BMW and JCW that the kit will provide the same reliability as the standard car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Standard Cooper S will reach 100mph in anything from 19.5 to 21 seconds. The Mk1 JCW S would do the same increment in 16.5 seconds. I'm expecting from all I've heard thus far that the new 210bhp JCW S will be down to the 15 second mark. Given that the 330i has around 157bhp/tonne compared with the 187bhp/tonne of the 210 bhp JCW S, I would rate the JCW S chances rather better than the 330i.

I used to own a 330i Sport before owning a succession of E46 M3s and then my current list of BMWs which includes M3 CSL, X5 4.8is and Mini Cooper S. I know how the 330i performs and it would not be quicker than a JCW S in my opinion.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My BBR220 (plus further mods) pulls convincingly on every 330i I have had a friendly blast against. As it happens, my best mate has a 2004 330i manual that I can beat any day, any time, much to his displeasure ;) The beemer is a far more comfy and refined car though.

With more power in the pipeline for me, even the M3CSL won't be safe ;) At the end of the day, you could forget the JCW idea and bang on a Kompressor-Turbo kit like that being released by Helix13 Motorsport. As in anything in life, how far do you want to go?

The JCW is not really for outright speed as has been mentioned before; you can go significantly faster for less money. It is, however, a perfect blend of power and control for the chassis IMHO.

Henry

·
Yatta!!
8,313 Posts
I had a manual 330Ci for 18 months before getting the 210 JCW. IMO the JCW would win every time.
The only reason the JCW could lose would be wheelspin - the plain facts are in the UK the 330 has 231bhp vs the much lighter JCW which has 210bhp.

The MINI is also SO much more fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are asking difficult questions

When you ask to compare a JCW Cooper S with a 330...please, how can anyone do that? Look up the stats and draw your own conclusions, they are two completely different cars.

I have a 2004 Cooper S with the JCW kit and a 2001 BMW M Roadster. They are both fantastic cars, but again completely different.

I've never seen the JCW seats, I don't think they are available here in the USA, maybe they are in Canada.

Drive a Cooper S with the works kit if you can, if not jsut a Cooper S and know that perfoamrnce will only be better, a LOT better actually. O-60mph in about 6.4. Probably right around the time of a 330.

Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts