MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it would make an interesting discussion :)

any cool stories?

which brand do you all seem to go for? ... just asking because I've recently heard there are small differences between pulleys... namely the Alta and AmD

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
783 Posts
I got my Alta pulley and intake at the end of April, which means I have about 5500 miles on them. Install was done by Randy Webb at a "pulley party", and I've been very happy with the results. I not only got a useful increase in power, but the cool supercharger whine through the intake, and about a 1mpg INCREASE in fuel ecomomy.
My only cool story involves some WOT test on a slighty damp road; I did a smooth start, then nailed the throttle at about 3000rpm in second gear. The car accelerated smoothly until about 6000rpm, when I felt a kind of stumble in the power delivery. I did a u-turn, and repeated the run in the other direction; same thing! This was shortly after the install, and I was affraid something was wrong, until realized the stumble was the traction control cutting in. I was breaking the tires loose at about 60mph in second gear. Fun.

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahah thats a brilliant story:D love it:)

im personally tossing up between the Alta and the AmD pulley (with ECU) .. whatever i choose im sure the power will be good:)

nice reply
thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
I got my 15% reduction pulley about 15000kms ago. I bought it from CAPA, I wanted to keep things inside the country, rather on relying on something being sent from overseas. They were more expensive than what you can get from an import, but hey, each to their own I guess.

I haven't had any problems at all, except from keeping the front wheels from breaking traction (not sure about second gear at 100kms / hr!!!!). If I'm not careful, I'll be up for another set of front wheels.

Dutchy.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I got my Alta 15% pulley at about 1500 miles; now have about 8500 miles. Love the boost in power. Got a cold air intake at the same time (also Alta).

Gas mileage is fine -- I don't exactly drive "conservatively," and I do a lot of city-driving and traffic-waiting. About 26 mpg average.

Once I "upgrade," I felt that the car finally had the power that it needed. Before, it felt "constrained" or "held back." Something was definitely missing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have 15% Alta Pulley, Alta CAI and silly grin for 22,000 miles now.

Very easy to break tires loose in 1st and 2nd. I am at the end of a second set of Yoko AVS-ES100 tires with lots of canyon runs.

Just got MTH flash and silly grin has returned, now have 7200 RPM limit - what a beautiful noise!

Best mod ever for the $$$ :D

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even when the car is stock its hard to keep traction if you give it heeps in 1st..

MAN I WANT MY PULLEY NOW!!! hahaha

Dutchy: who is CAPA?

seems like Alta is the go:p have some of you not bothered with new ECU because you think the 15% pulley alone is enough power?

·
Registered
324 Posts
bkwalker said:
Even when the car is stock its hard to keep traction if you give it heeps in 1st..

MAN I WANT MY PULLEY NOW!!! hahaha

Dutchy: who is CAPA?

seems like Alta is the go:p have some of you not bothered with new ECU because you think the 15% pulley alone is enough power?
Centrifugal Air Pumps Australia.

They have a website www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm.

They are a company based out of Berri, SA.
The kit has an interchangeable pulley and also a new pulley belt to suit.
It was $500, including delivery, so it's definitely not cheap. I was lucky that the mechanics here at work did it all for me for only a carton of beer.

Dutchy.

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

I have done 20,000km with my Hartge pulley kit

Although it is hard to estimate, I think at least 4,000k's of that has been under EXTREME load on track days, racing, rallies etc. :D :D :D

No problems with the pulley mechanism so far ;) Lots of other parts have broken, eg exhausts, headers, engine mounts etc, but that is a different story ;)

By the way, CAPA are reasonably well known for supercharging Aussie V8's, with a good reputation. I've not heard of anyone else who has had the mini tuned there.

Cheers

Robbo

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

I have done 20,000km with my Hartge pulley kit

Although it is hard to estimate, I think at least 4,000k's of that has been under EXTREME load on track days, racing, rallies etc. :D :D :D

No problems with the pulley mechanism so far ;) Lots of other parts have broken, eg exhausts, headers, engine mounts etc, but that is a different story ;)

By the way, CAPA are reasonably well known for supercharging Aussie V8's, with a good reputation. I've not heard of anyone else who has had the mini tuned there.

Cheers

Robbo
glad to hear your car is still going strong robbo :) sounds like a very expensive hobby of yours;) with other broken parts and all

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
An ECU upgrade isn't necessary with a 15% pulley, though it would tidy up your a/f ratio, which might get you another 2 or 3 bhp at the wheels?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I suspect I'll get an ECU upgrade, eventually. One of the reasons I went with the 15% pulley was its stand-alone improvement; you can get chip, exhaust, etc. later, but the pulley alone is fine (actually, I have slightly colder plugs as well, but plenty of people don't even do that). I think Webb Motorsports now has a 195hp "kit" that includes the pulley, intake, and chip (might be exhaust, too). JCW performance on the cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts