MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many litres of petrol can you get in a MINI? Can you beat 58.2l?

We all know that the official answer is 50 litres.

Also some of us are getting some very strange readings from the fuel gauge and the reserve light. The other day my reserve light came on. "Ah!", I thought, "That'll be 15 litres left or about 130 miles to go before I hit dry."

After about another 100 miles, and with the needle about 1/10 inch below nothing, I decided it would be wise to refuel. Now I had travelled about 400 miles since the last fill.

The pump clicked off with 49.5 litres. I decided to put in as much as possible and kept on going. My patience finally gave out after 58 litres!

I looked under the car expecting to see a lake of overflowing petrol, but no sign of any wastage. So what is the record fil of petrol that you have managed to fit in your MINI? Do fuel gauges that read 7/8 full really mean 7/8 full? Is it really a filling problem?

·
Registered
344 Posts
My record is 8 gallons!... 380 odd miles, and driving around with the red light on for about 5 miles.

Apial - You do know that you're supposed to put the nozzle in that round thing behind the door, don't you?... Not just drop the nozzle in through the window ;)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Johnboy said:
Apial - You do know that you're supposed to put the nozzle in that round thing behind the door, don't you?... Not just drop the nozzle in through the window ;)
That'll be where he went wrong then!!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
I managed to get 475 miles out of a £30 (full)tank during the Gaydon weekend - on the way home I went from Sheffield to Leeds (a 30 min drive) doing a steady 80mph with the needle well into the red.

On an average weekly work run it tends to do 240 miles to £20 of petrol until the light comes on.(@ 70p per litre)

I've no idea what this equates to in litres, but mine seems to vary enough for me to be very wary of letting it get close to the red line!

·
Registered
888 Posts
When my Trip Computer's range display says that I'm down to about 20 miles left, I can fit in about 45 litres of fuel - which, considering its meant to have a 50 litre tank seems about right to me. This equates to over 400 miles of careful motorway driving.

What I dont understand is Apial getting 58 litres in.... doesn't sound right at all.

Does everyone find it VERY difficult to completely fill the tank? You can keep dribbling it in for ages and ages after it clicks off...

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Oh Dear Oh Dear

If your getting 58 litres in your tank I'm preety sure its got nowt to do with your car. I'd be wary of the garage you went to. I has been known for garages to have "Fiddled" the guages or whatever on there petrol pumps. There was a garage in Preston that did this and was caught out and the garage owner was put in prison. Word of advice if you always use that garage and it keeps putting more in your tank than it supposed to be able to take I'd make a complaint or never go there again. Petrol's expensive especially if your payinf for something your not getting!

Just think if your putting in 50 litres for the price of 58 litres! And then times that by how many times you use that garage! = Expensive!

·
Registered
577 Posts
One word of caution here. If the MINI is like most other cars, the fuel pump is electric and mounted inside the fuel tank. It runs all the time to provide ample pressure for the fuel injection system. As such, the motor will get warm and is kept cool by the fuel in the tank. If you let the fuel get much below 1/3 of a tank, the fuel pump can overheat and shorten the service life. A friend found this out on his pickup. He used to run the fuel down until the tank was nearly empty before filling it and went through three fuel pumps in two years. I suggested he keep the fuel above 1/3-1/2 a tank at all times. His last fuel pump is still going strong after five years.

As to Apial getting more fuel in the tank than specified, they may be talking about the "click-off" amount. You can often get more in by rocking the car to purge an air bubble at the top of the tank, plus fill the inlet tube. But it is important not to overfill it because the fuel will expand and most fuel systems have a vapor (vapour if you prefer) recovery system as part of the anti-pollution controls. If raw fuel gets past the vapor-liquid separator, it can damage the carbon cannister.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lightbody said:

Does everyone find it VERY difficult to completely fill the tank? You can keep dribbling it in for ages and ages after it clicks off...
Thats what is happening to me. I put in 58.2 litres and still never managed to brim it. Although I have now travelled 40 miles the gauge is showing 1/2 a needles width MORE than full.

Do you think we may have a 60 litre tank and that due to airlock/vapour traps etc that we are only meant to put 50 litres in before the filling pump clicks off?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Try filling your car at a different station. Make sure they're not ripping you off.

If you're really getting more than 50 litres into your tank, I'd be suspicious as to where the extra fuel is going. It could be spilling over into the vapour recovery cannister by rising up the tank, along the fuel pipe and over. As it was mentioned before, that would be quite bad.

Typically, you are supposed to fill to the first click and then you're allowed to round off to an equal number. If you fill much beyond the second click, then you're doing something that the manufacturer did not take into consideration, like filling on an incline, filling into the airpocket, etc... If this extra fuel is somewhere it's not suppose to be, you can compromise your filler cap seal, fuel pump, or vapour recovery system.

If your MINI fills to the the first click, and displays as full, then count yourself luckier than some.

·
Registered
334 Posts
noahe said:

If your MINI fills to the the first click, and displays as full, then count yourself luckier than some.
Mine does this but drive 10 miles the gauge is showing 7/8 full. I've been advised to keep on filling up after the click, - I got an "extra" 6 litres in yesterday doing this and the gauge seems to be reading about right.

mr. bill - are you sure your friend wasn't using low quality (e.g. Maverick) petrol which did for his fuel pump?I've never heard the one about always running on 1/3 or more of a tank of fuel, but several of my friends in the States had to replace fuel pumps because of very dirty petrol....

kjs

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nope. Full-size Chevy pickup. He takes really good care of it and uses good fuel. (With my old truck, on the other hand, you have to wipe your feet before you get out, ha!) It's about eight years old now but it still looks new. His son had a similar problem with fuel pumps going out in a Toyota pickup. After he had the second one replaced, he made it a point not to let the fuel get too low and hasn't had a problem since. It can be a bigger problem on fuel injection systems because higher fuel pressure is required.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
mr.bill said:
Nope. Full-size Chevy pickup. He takes really good care of it and uses good fuel. (With my old truck, on the other hand, you have to wipe your feet before you get out, ha!) It's about eight years old now but it still looks new. His son had a similar problem with fuel pumps going out in a Toyota pickup. After he had the second one replaced, he made it a point not to let the fuel get too low and hasn't had a problem since. It can be a bigger problem on fuel injection systems because higher fuel pressure is required.
You sure its not that the the pump wasn't a very good make. I've never heard of fuel pumps failing due to the amount of fuel in the tank (unless of course people keep running the thing dry so it stalls then that might explain it). Even my Dad who's been driving for god knows how long says that he's never heard of that before, and he's a trained mechanic. Hmmmm Then again hoe bigs the tank on the thing. Maybe its a bad designed fuel tank or summat, who knows!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
55 miles and the needle is still jammed past full. Maybe the needle needs to go on the KDS machine too!

I am begining to suspect that the tank is badly designed. I bet if I had tried I could have got 60 litres in. You can't explain nearly 2 gallons more than maximum capacity just to allow for vapour canisters and recirculation pipes can you?

The garage I use never manages to give overfills on other cars that I take there, so I have no reason to suspect dodgy dealing. Anyway, Trading Standards visit all the garages around here to sample the petrol for the correct measure.They arrive unannounced, so they would have been caught by now if it was a regular thing. I will refill again at the same pump next time though.

I was told some time ago by a saleswomen from Astles in Scunthorpe that there had been a problem in getting all the fuel in. Has there been a redesign of the tank at some stage?

With this much fuel I should be able to get well past 500 miles before I have to refill. On a long run 600 miles wouldn't be totally impossible.

·
Fun on 2 & 4 wheels!
185 Posts
I always fill mine up to the 2nd click, and then run it for about 280 miles (when the red light has been on for about 10-15 miles). I guess I could let it run down for closer to 350 miles, but just after I got mine, I ran it dry and I'm very wary about doing it again. I was confused then, because it ran dry at 320 miles wheras I had managed 340 before a refill previously.
Does anyone know at what point the red light should come on?

·
Registered
577 Posts
You would think they would have fixed the fuel gauge problem by now. Didn't they already have a "new fuel tank design" to correct the inaccurate gauge? I built a 22 gallon fuel tank for my truck to replace the stock 13 gallon tank. I cut and welded the fittings from the original tank to the new tank so I could use the stock sender and hoses. I calibrated the gauge by bending the arm with the float on it. That was 20 years ago and it still reads like it is supposed to. What is the fuel gauge like on the MINI? Is it digital or LCD? My truck's gauge is a simple needle and it works. Sometimes "newer" isn't always better.

·
Registered
374 Posts
For what its worth, I filled up yesterday when the needle (Mr Bill the Mini uses an "old fashioned" needle and dial system) was exactly on empty. The tank took 45 litres. I might have got a little more in but the fuel pump was clicking off every second or so.

In my experience, most fuel guages are "pessimistic" at the bottom end - presumably a safety factor. What is different on my Mini is that the needle falls from full very quickly, while on my last car it took a while.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I suppose you've got to take into account that not all Fuel Tanks are a plane cube or cuboid shape. Not sure how to put this into words, but imagine, if you will, that the tank is a cone shape in some cars. As the guage checks the level or "Height" of fuel in the tank and not the volume, if you compare a tank thats at the 1/3 level and a tank is at 2/3 level, then 2/3 level will not hold twice the amount of fuel if you get what I mean. Now in some cars the Cone shape might be the opposit way round to other cars (i.e. thin bit at the top or thin pit at the bottom) Hence differant cars read differantly. Depends on the shape of the tank.

Hope that sounds right

·
Registered
546 Posts
mr.bill said:
I built a 22 gallon fuel tank for my truck to replace the stock 13 gallon tank. I cut and welded the fittings from the original tank to the new tank so I could use the stock sender and hoses. I calibrated the gauge by bending the arm with the float on it.
Nope, doesn't work on the MINI ...just had the tank in bits, and I can't even find that arm bit your're talking about mr.b. Now, I guess I should take care with this next stage where I weld it all back together?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My bros managed to put 60 litres in his ONE and then drove 513 miles on the same tank. Seeing as he is no slouch with his driving, that means 38.9 mpg. He says he nomally manages 41-42 mpg. If the filling station was faulty with its pump, then that would mean he was doing at least 47 mpg, which is hard to believe.

I really do think that you can fit more than 50 litres in the MINI.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts