MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you people who have aux guages for oil temp/pressure etc may be able to help with this.
I know it will vary with ambient temp, driving style and conditions but do you know an average distance for oil to reach normal operating tempereature.
I currently drive 10 miles before lighting the blue touch paper as I've got a feeling that it takes a long time.
Whaddya know. :confused:

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
in the TVR I have the full digital data logger thing so we can keep check on oil temps, pressures etc. here's my procedure for warming it.

idle for 3 to 4 minutes.

drive off and keep below 2000rpm for another 3 to 4 minutes.

slowly start working up rev limit. ie. 2500 for 3 to 4 mins, then 3000 etc etc.

after about 10 or 12 miles, the oil is around 65 degrees C. the hottest it usually gets (except if it's really warm outside and you're in traffic) is about 75.

i'd say 65 is warm enough to start booting the car. and the key thing is the oil will have had time to TOTALLY fill the oilways, cams etc.

the mini isn't quite so bad as the BMW recommended oil is supposed to work from cold. at least if it's a bit warm, it should be fine.

with the mini, i idle mine for about 30 seconds to a minute, (going to work and never up early enough!)
then drive off and try to keep below 2000rpm for the first couple of miles.
i then slowly lift my rev limit by 500rpm, every few miles.
full throttle after about 8 miles,
then full revs after about 12.

hope that helps.
the way I treat the TVR is probably as careful as you need to be when warming a car. with the mini, i'd say that's a good warm up routine.

yrs
t_t

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
tuscan_thunder
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing