MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Remapping

Anyone interested in remapping should try Admiral who not only provide very competitive quotes, but also increase them by only £10 for an engine remap!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Im 20 with mini cooper s, zero no claims due to an accident last year in a previous car, my renewal price was 1600. I thought that wasn't a too bad price until I saw some of the much cheaper quotes on this page lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would recommend Admiral. Always quote the cheapest (for my quotes anyway) and they have fantastic customer service and claims handling.

·
Registered
64 Posts
HOLY SH** @RikkiWhitehead

This must be a joke seriously? £6200? How much did your car cost? I wouldn't pay that much to insure a Ferrari!!

Never would I pay over £1000 for insurance, I know times have changed since I was 18 but they can't have changed that much!

I have 3 years NCB (had company car before so lost NCB from years back) driving for 11 years, no points, fully comp, business miles up to 10k for £680 per annum on an R56 06 Cooper S no mods. < I believe this to be too expensive but I know Insurance is a rip off these days (this is with Admiral)

·
Rikki
36 Posts
No Joke what so ever :( - it turns out the company offering 6200 over comparethemarket - cant insure me. i ruing them up to see if i could sweet talk them into knocking some off to the response, actually we are unable to insure you.

So now i am going for the next cheapest at 6700. This is with 0 NCM - had license since 19th december. I guess thats what i ahve to pay to get myself on the road with a mini. Thats now the cheapest option, so i have saved that for 30 days, i will have the car within 30 days. Its bloody nice the the mini im getting :) i can't wait!

After i have a 1Year NCM it should hopefully be around 3500/4000. its insurnace group 4 or something daft, it should be cheap to insure.

Realistically young drivers now have to wait to about 21 to get insurance in the UK. Its ridiculous.

EDIT : car is 4800. 04 plate 21k miles. One old lady owner.

Regards,
Rikki

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
So now i am going for the next cheapest at 6700.
You're off your head!

A lad I work with is 17, passed test a few weeks ago, only named driver on the policy, driving a new-ish fully-loaded Cooper and he's paying under £2k/year... any more than that is frankly ridiculous.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No Joke what so ever :( - it turns out the company offering 6200 over comparethemarket - cant insure me. i ruing them up to see if i could sweet talk them into knocking some off to the response, actually we are unable to insure you.

So now i am going for the next cheapest at 6700. This is with 0 NCM - had license since 19th december. I guess thats what i ahve to pay to get myself on the road with a mini. Thats now the cheapest option, so i have saved that for 30 days, i will have the car within 30 days. Its bloody nice the the mini im getting :) i can't wait!

After i have a 1Year NCM it should hopefully be around 3500/4000. its insurnace group 4 or something daft, it should be cheap to insure.

Realistically young drivers now have to wait to about 21 to get insurance in the UK. Its ridiculous.

EDIT : car is 4800. 04 plate 21k miles. One old lady owner.

Regards,
Rikki
No car is worth paying that much insurance. Try Adrian flux. I was getting 4-5k on comparethemarket.com but Adrian insured me for 1.6k. I do have 1year NCB but they insured me last year for 2k (paid in 9 months instalments, otherwise it would have been 1.5k) with 3k mileage limit.

·
Rikki
36 Posts
How has he managed that at 17 years old? ask him which insurance company he is using please! Adrian Flux have quoted 4.4k - so im probably going to take that, ill give them a call tomorrow! I would need more than 3k driving limit thought, probably around 20-25k. I travel to scotland from yorkshire quite frequently.

Regards,
Rikki

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
How has he managed that at 17 years old? ask him which insurance company he is using please! Adrian Flux have quoted 4.4k - so im probably going to take that, ill give them a call tomorrow! I would need more than 3k driving limit thought, probably around 20-25k. I travel to scotland from yorkshire quite frequently.
I'm pretty sure it's either Endsleigh or CIS Insurance ("Now The Co-operative Insurance") - I will double check next time I see him. I don't think he's on very limited mileage either - just something sensible like 10k, but probably less than you're looking at declaring. If you're getting quotes based on 25k/year, that's probably got something to do with the silly prices!

What postcode area are you in... I see you're from West Yorkshire? My mate moved from a BB postcode to a BD postcode (specifically Bradford) a couple of years and his insurance nearly tripled as a result!

·
Rikki
36 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's either Endsleigh or CIS Insurance ("Now The Co-operative Insurance") - I will double check next time I see him. I don't think he's on very limited mileage either - just something sensible like 10k, but probably less than you're looking at declaring. If you're getting quotes based on 25k/year, that's probably got something to do with the silly prices!

What postcode area are you in... I see you're from West Yorkshire? My mate moved from a BB postcode to a BD postcode (specifically Bradford) a couple of years and his insurance nearly tripled as a result!
Endsleigh is 6600 - and it is HX - prices are soaring in HX as the people in the area are crashing there cars deliberately, or trying to cause an accident so they can claim off there insurnace - if i use a HD postcode then the price drops around 600 quid. However i dont fancy fiddling addresses or anything incase i do end up having a bump. The prices havent really varied much with regards to mileage - What i could do if it does change is quote up to 10k mileage a year, and i go a bit over i guess it wont really matter? The CIS group fit a tracker to your car so they monitor all your speed, rate of acceleration, rate of cornering, g-forces, braking methods etc etc - id prefer to pay a bit more of a premium and drive more relaxed, not as if i am still in my test haha - i will keep you updated about adriun flux - im hoping to put some spotlights on the front of the mini - so when i drive in scotland i can actually see! will this affect the insurance much?

Regards,
Rikki

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
Yeah, definitely best to be honest as far as your actual address and mileage is concerned. As you say, if you have a bump, or the car is stolen, you're likely to end up in trouble! Where are you saying the car is parked overnight, and during the day - road, garage, car park etc?

You could get covered based on 10k, and if you're going to go over, you can call them and have your policy adjusted, although it'll obviously increase your premium mid-policy.

Didn't realise CIS were into the whole black box thing, but if it keeps your insurance sensible, surely it's worth it? What have the quoted? Doesn't mean you need to drive like an old woman, but you shouldn't be hooning around anyway! ;)

Spotlights shouldn't add anything to the price, but probably best to mention them as they could be deemed a modification depending on the insurer...

Keep us posted! :)

·
Rikki
36 Posts
Yeah, definitely best to be honest as far as your actual address and mileage is concerned. As you say, if you have a bump, or the car is stolen, you're likely to end up in trouble! Where are you saying the car is parked overnight, and during the day - road, garage, car park etc?

You could get covered based on 10k, and if you're going to go over, you can call them and have your policy adjusted, although it'll obviously increase your premium mid-policy.

Didn't realise CIS were into the whole black box thing, but if it keeps your insurance sensible, surely it's worth it? What have the quoted? Doesn't mean you need to drive like an old woman, but you shouldn't be hooning around anyway! ;)

Spotlights shouldn't add anything to the price, but probably best to mention them as they could be deemed a modification depending on the insurer...

Keep us posted! :)
I have noticed that they cant actually check how many miles you have done, they dont ask for the mileage on the car, however i am probably not going to lie, adrian flux have quoted 6136 for 20k miles p/a. However that is subject to joining a mini club - northernmini class as a mini club? or does mini2 premium class as a mini club? - and Co-op quoted me 9 grand haha - ouchie! however thats without the box - but sometimes theose boxes mean you cant drive at night, well thats no good for me, when i go to scotland i will be setting off tea time (after college) - 9 hour drive - so thats out of the question. I will just have to pay it, however after one year it is 1500 - i will be 19 with 1yr NCB fingers crossed.

I'll keep you posted :)

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have noticed that they cant actually check how many miles you have done, they dont ask for the mileage on the car, however i am probably not going to lie, adrian flux have quoted 6136 for 20k miles p/a. However that is subject to joining a mini club - northernmini class as a mini club? or does mini2 premium class as a mini club? - and Co-op quoted me 9 grand haha - ouchie! however thats without the box - but sometimes theose boxes mean you cant drive at night, well thats no good for me, when i go to scotland i will be setting off tea time (after college) - 9 hour drive - so thats out of the question. I will just have to pay it, however after one year it is 1500 - i will be 19 with 1yr NCB fingers crossed.

I'll keep you posted :)
NorthernMINI is classed as a club by most insurance brokers and you should get any discounts for club membership if you become a member- why not, it costs nowt and there's more to it than cheap insurance :)

·
Rikki
36 Posts
NorthernMINI is classed as a club by most insurance brokers and you should get any discounts for club membership if you become a member- why not, it costs nowt and there's more to it than cheap insurance :)
I have isnged up i am just awaiting activation on their side :) There ideally located actually as majority of their sort of meets ate nicely just up the M6 or M1, either one is the same distance along the M62 and up as i am bang in the middle :)

Regards
Rikki!

Edit: Your account has been activated but you are currently in the moderation queue to be added to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
Speaking of NorthernMINI, have you tried Chris Knott Insurance? They're affiliated with the club and had garnered some good feedback on the forum last time I checked. :)

Gotta be worth a shot before blowing £6k! :eek:

That said, I am a big fan of Adrian Flux... still, not sure I could justify £6k, but they're a good bunch in my experience. :D

·
Rikki
36 Posts
Unfortunately I don't meet the requirements. Must be 19 for TPFT or 22 for fully Comprehensive. Also must have had license for a year, which I haven't, which is a shame but hey, Adrian flux seem good, quick to answer the phone etc, 6K is a lot but hey, guess I really like minis :)

Regards,
Rikki
Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

21 - 40 of 173 Posts
About this Discussion
172 Replies
114 Participants
Jackdaniel
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing