MINI Cooper Forum banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
I tried out the Aviva driving app which they are currently touting on TV. Drive for 200 miles and score over 7 to save up to £170. Having score 9.3 I was expecting a good saving. Instead I received just £2. Suffice to say I didn't go with it. My advice to anyone thinking of using any of these apps is get a quote before you start using it then compare it to the quote they give you afterwards.

For the record I went with Directline and got fully comp on my 2007 Mini Cooper for £175.
Can you use these apps without having their insurance? Pretty interested to see what I score as always stick to speed limits in villages towns motorways etc where the "experienced" drivers always seem to do 5-10 over the limit only drive fast on quiet lanes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you use these apps without having their insurance? Pretty interested to see what I score as always stick to speed limits in villages towns motorways etc where the "experienced" drivers always seem to do 5-10 over the limit only drive fast on quiet lanes
The Aviva one you can just download. It'll ask you a couple of basic questions then off you go. To get a rating you have to travel 200 miles. The average score is 7.

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
The Aviva one you can just download. It'll ask you a couple of basic questions then off you go. To get a rating you have to travel 200 miles. The average score is 7.
Thanks! Will give it a go.

I am guessing the reason for the measly saving offered was that your insurance was £175 anyway. For someone in this category there is probably not much savings to be made from the insurers point of view whereas with a teenager paying £1k++ the difference between a good and bad driver could be worth thousands in terms of reduced risk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! Will give it a go.

I am guessing the reason for the measly saving offered was that your insurance was £175 anyway. For someone in this category there is probably not much savings to be made from the insurers point of view whereas with a teenager paying £1k++ the difference between a good and bad driver could be worth thousands in terms of reduced risk
The original quote from Aviva was £249 before the app test and £247 after.

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
The original quote from Aviva was £249 before the app test and £247 after.
Still compare it to the thousands a teenager pays it's about a 1% saving for a 17 year old not uncommon to be quoted '3k on a Cooper S so could be £30 saving

Not taking into account the risk multiplier is higher for young drivers (a better young driver vs a bad young driver is a larger difference than a better mature driver vs bad mature driver)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Insurance companies should be paying ME to be insured by them.
The number of other peoples insurers I've saved from having to cough up is quite staggering :laugh:

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
Insurance companies should be paying ME to be insured by them.
The number of other peoples insurers I've saved from having to cough up is quite staggering :laugh:
X2 !!!!!

Bu5 Still staggered that they can judge it by age and other stuff

Then again I'm a Millennial we are meant to find most things offensive rofl:eeksurprise::big_grin:

But honestly I am a decent driver makes me so angry when I see people my age driving like ***** why should I pay more basically for them!!:( turds

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I wouldn't recommend downloading any telematic apps from insurance companies as you are basically selling your soul. If you really feel it necessary to download one then put in false details. The less these organisations/ government has on you the better!

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

Wasn't planning on using the data with the company anyway just interested to see if they think I'm a "good" driver

Although I am guessing a "good" driver for insurance purposes is someone who doesn't drive at night, does low mileage, etc, as opposed to actual discipline / ability :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

Wasn't planning on using the data with the company anyway just interested to see if they think I'm a "good" driver

Although I am guessing a "good" driver for insurance purposes is someone who doesn't drive at night, does low mileage, etc, as opposed to actual discipline / ability
You can easily become an advanced driver and that's a recognised qualification. In my last job every vehicle was fitted with telematics, most firms have them now and the second the driver had an accident the company instantly checked his speed and he was usually sacked before he got back to the garage! The company agreed not to use the system as a discipline tool but they lied about it so the union would approve it. Fuel saving was it's purpose but you can't save fuel on knackered old buses that pish coolant and oil out of their engines!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Sour Mash
1,287 Posts
You can easily become an advanced driver and that's a recognised qualification. In my last job every vehicle was fitted with telematics, most firms have them now and the second the driver had an accident the company instantly checked his speed and he was usually sacked before he got back to the garage! The company agreed not to use the system as a discipline tool but they lied about it so the union would approve it. Fuel saving was it's purpose but you can't save fuel on knackered old buses that pish coolant and oil out of their engines!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
Was very tempted to do that not particularly for the insurance saving either just sounded a good thing to do. Would you recommend the IAM or are there better ones?

161 - 173 of 173 Posts
About this Discussion
172 Replies
114 Participants
Jackdaniel
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing