MINI Cooper Forum banner

How much do you pay in insurance?

89K views 172 replies 101 participants last post by  Jackdaniel 
#1 ·
Hoping to get a 2005 Cooper S next month,around 8k. I still currently live abroad and not in the uk for a few weeks so unable to ring around. Im 37 and havent had car insurance for 4 years so I dont think my no claims bonus stands anymore. I have tried to use Go compare but the cheapest on that is over £2,000 per year fully comp. I heard that certain companies that dont advertise on these sites are generally cheaper.

Any advice on insurance companies or how much you pay roughly in insurance per year.
Another thing I heard is that for every increased insurance group number you add £30 per number until group 15 which is what the S is. I used to own a Mini One in Spain and pay £400 which I think is a group 5.

Surely a realistic figure of £700 is what I want to be looking at for insurance otherwise I may need to buy the One or the Cooper.

Thoughts?

#35 ·
Yeah, definitely best to be honest as far as your actual address and mileage is concerned. As you say, if you have a bump, or the car is stolen, you're likely to end up in trouble! Where are you saying the car is parked overnight, and during the day - road, garage, car park etc?

You could get covered based on 10k, and if you're going to go over, you can call them and have your policy adjusted, although it'll obviously increase your premium mid-policy.

Didn't realise CIS were into the whole black box thing, but if it keeps your insurance sensible, surely it's worth it? What have the quoted? Doesn't mean you need to drive like an old woman, but you shouldn't be hooning around anyway! ;)

Spotlights shouldn't add anything to the price, but probably best to mention them as they could be deemed a modification depending on the insurer...

Keep us posted! :)

#36 ·
I have noticed that they cant actually check how many miles you have done, they dont ask for the mileage on the car, however i am probably not going to lie, adrian flux have quoted 6136 for 20k miles p/a. However that is subject to joining a mini club - northernmini class as a mini club? or does mini2 premium class as a mini club? - and Co-op quoted me 9 grand haha - ouchie! however thats without the box - but sometimes theose boxes mean you cant drive at night, well thats no good for me, when i go to scotland i will be setting off tea time (after college) - 9 hour drive - so thats out of the question. I will just have to pay it, however after one year it is 1500 - i will be 19 with 1yr NCB fingers crossed.

I'll keep you posted :)

#39 ·
Speaking of NorthernMINI, have you tried Chris Knott Insurance? They're affiliated with the club and had garnered some good feedback on the forum last time I checked. :)

Gotta be worth a shot before blowing £6k! :eek:

That said, I am a big fan of Adrian Flux... still, not sure I could justify £6k, but they're a good bunch in my experience. :D

#40 ·
Unfortunately I don't meet the requirements. Must be 19 for TPFT or 22 for fully Comprehensive. Also must have had license for a year, which I haven't, which is a shame but hey, Adrian flux seem good, quick to answer the phone etc, 6K is a lot but hey, guess I really like minis :)

Regards,
Rikki
Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#43 ·
34, male, 7yrs ncb, protected, fully comp., Reading...., and my girl is a registered driver (always helps).

Compare the market best: £950
Admiral: £993.04 :D:D:D
Directline (had previous car insured there): £620 w. £450 excess (went that high as I have a small accident damage insurance with the dealership)

Still steep but I guess its down to location.

Ridiculous thing is that i had to cancel and sign up new customer as they wouldn't match their quote when changing cars. Brainless zombie f*cktards. They even sent me a letter asking for the previous NCB proof. D'oh!

#44 ·
I have been quoted £1500 with Admiral for my Mini JCW. I've got 1 years no claims. 6 points on my license. The next quote up from that was a company called Bell who quoted me £1700. The good thing about these two companies is that you can build your no claims up by insuring your car for 10months which will entitle you to gain an extra year no claims.

#48 ·
Cooper D Clubman 07, 11 NCB £224 with Kwik Fit. 15000 miles 51 years old.

It is merciless what some insurance companies are charging. Kwik Fit actually stated that premiums should fall over the next couple of years due to less uninsured drivers on the road, I won't be holding my breath but it would be good to see. :D

#49 ·
2008 MCS Insurance

The wrong side of 40, IAM Motorcycle Test pass (gives good car discount too) , South East UK. 2008 MCS Standard - Up to 20 k miles per year - £404 from Adelaide Insurance and their IAM Surety Insurance offering - based in N Ireland - Recommended Insurer , about the best I could get going through D Line, Comparison sites etc

#53 ·
Mini Free insurance deal?

I just ordered a 2012 Cooper Clubbie. The dealer was promoting Mini's special free insurance for one year deal, which I'm planning on taking up, once I get my registration number. Apparently (which I didn't realise when I ordered the car), this includes the TLC, which is an extra £249, so appears to be good value.

I'm a bit annoyed though, as the salesman added on the £249 charge for the TLC (which I'd agreed to at the time, because I wanted to have the TLC). When I told him that I read the TLC was included in the free insurance deal, and that I'd like him to deduct the charge, he refused, saying that I'd had all the discount off the car, and that he wouldn't take off any additional money.

This charge for the TLC is added 'after' any discounts are taken, and when I told him it wasn't right, he said he could take the TLC charge off, and deduct it from the car discount.

Is this a fast-talking sales shark? I didn't think Mini car salespeople had to resort to this time of tactic-- surely the cars sell themselves!

Does anyone have experience in dealing with 'Head Office' on this sort of thing? Is it worth it? Or have I been done?

#57 ·
48, more than 7 years Protected No Claims Bonus driving a 2010 Mini Cooper D Convertible and I pay a shade over £200 (the £30 a year increase when I changed edged it over the £200 but only by a couple of pounds).

Thats with Aviva on a Multicar with my daughters (only me driving though), surprised at Aviva as usually they are way off the mark, and it was only price that took me there, not those F-ing Paul Whitehouse ads.

#58 ·
Been thinking about multicar - though my insurer for my wifes car (I'm named driver) was more than just taking on a new policy!

Best quote so far (using 7 day free cover at the moment) is £500 fully comp - 36 with no NCD or points (but 7yrs NCD on one car and 3 yrs on other grrrrr)

#59 ·
I'd give Multicar a look, was with Admiral for 3 years, firstly just oldest daughter had her policy with them, added mine at my renewal and then youngest added her car when she got one.

Really did make a difference for the girls premiums and it keeps it all together. Like I say, moved to Aviva this year but would go back to Admiral again if the money was right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.