MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does a stock hood wieght? Is a carbon fiber one worth it?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
From this thread

Heres a little m7 update:

"Hood will be $849 +shipping which is $125 to you..

Weight savings over stock hood is 16lbs. pm me your email address and I will send you some images..
Very simple install...remove headlights, padding, and remove wires. Unbolt stock hood, reverse
the whole process with the CF version.

Not my favorite vendor but that'll give you an idea.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Well, Obehave gave you the weight savings and cost.

Here's my 2 cents on wether it's worth it.

If you're racing the car and stripping everything possible out of the car to cut weight, then the 16 pounds savings is a must do.

But if you're not going full bore with the weight loss, go on a diet and loose 16 pounds yourself and save the bucks! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Alternatively, just put 1.5gal less gas* in it. :)

*or wiper fluid, or Big Gulps, or any fluid (it is not recommended to reduce the amount of oil or radiator fluid, however)

·
Registered
144 Posts
All that money for a 16# savings? Seems like a monumental waste of money to me... From what I've read, you can save more than 16# by changing the tires and wheels. Reducing mass of rotating parts will have a bigger effect on performance anyway.

Rawhyde

·
Registered
227 Posts
The hood, or bonnet as some call it, in the Mini does more than in most cars. It holds the headlights, and thus is a structural member. Will there be increased vibration in the lights? Is the carbon fiber hood stiffer, and more likely to crack, or more flexible and less likely to hold the headlights steady? Is that 16 lbs. without paint? Does the hood go on unpainted? Will it look like a finished product, or like you primed a hood and forgot to paint it? If painted, does paint adhere to carbon fiber well, and polish up just like painted metal?

Seems like a lot of work for 16 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts