MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 friends had a lot of problems with both of theyr cars, I had to say do both are not careful with there cars, they do the usual things go to service by the book, but many problems that goes from new supercharger, to blinking light on the dashboard, seatbelt light, airbags, noises on the suspension, problems with the transimission the car kept on 6 gear, the insurance pay for all like 7,000 usd. What I try to say is that mini´s needs to take care more than a normal car, mine had been perfect since new few details, noises on the back seats, you know the usual stuff, I remember many years ago with renaults of the 70, and 80 all the people used to say that they where very good cars but you had to take care more than usual cars like VW, rabbbit, atlantics.

What do you think.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have owned my Cooper S for 10 months now and (touch wood) have not had any significant problems. I have covered 8500 miles and the only hiccup is that the cd jumps (occasionally).

I love my Cooper S!

Basil the Dog

·
Registered
507 Posts
Have done 14.000 miles until now.

Problems so far:
Left xenon headlamp unreliable => new one for warranty
Left power window defect => fixed itsself after 2 days :eek:
Rattles from the rear end of the car => hatch lock readjusted, better but not gone
Windshield cracked => changed (warranty)

@rica_roel
Renaults are still the worst ones in Europe concerning reliability statistics. I don´t like their design and philosophy approach either, but that´s a different story.

Klaus

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to say that I had been very lucky with mi mini cooper s 03 now with 17.000 kms and only the usual things, coolant deposit, warranty, back door noises, a noise on front suspension that I took to the dealer and they fixed, but that would be all. I cross my fingers the keep my luck.

I think my friends have a very bad luck and also they do not treat well there cars.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I have an '02 MCS with 21,000 miles so far. It has been very reliable with only minor warranty issues; leaky radiator overflow tank (replaced under warranty), a few assorted squeaks and rattles (covered under warranty), a minor leak around the third, upper level, break light (to be taken care of at the next service).

I am very happy with the car and would purchase another willingly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
KlausR said:
Have done 14.000 miles until now.

Problems so far:
Left xenon headlamp unreliable => new one for warranty
Left power window defect => fixed itsself after 2 days :eek:
Rattles from the rear end of the car => hatch lock readjusted, better but not gone
Windshield cracked => changed (warranty)

@rica_roel
Renaults are still the worst ones in Europe concerning reliability statistics. I don´t like their design and philosophy approach either, but that´s a different story.

Klaus
What reliability statistics would that be then ?? They don't do brilliantly in the JD Power surveys but they don't do very badly either.

Like Vic Reeves once said, 93.59% of statistics are made up on the spot.

But this statistic is not. I have driven over 150k miles in various Renaults. Not one has broken down or left me stranded. In fact, all have only required routine servicing and fuel. Admittedly, my current 25k Scenic has a dodgy LCD display on the CD player but that's hardly the end of the world.

As for styling........purely a personal thing........but I reckon they are ultra stylish, especially considering the fact that they are a high volume mainstream manufacturer. The Megane is a breath of fresh air in a world of dull, bland, me-too Euro boxes.

And their stance on car safety should be applauded. It has forced other manufacturers to up raise their game and countless numbers of lives will no doubt be saved as a result :)

Finally, value for money............little else comes close.

Doesn't stop me counting off the minutes until my MCS arrives though....... ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
My ten month old '04 MCS with 10,600 miles has been absolutely troublefree since taking delivery October 3rd, 2003. Not a single problem at all!.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
7,500 miles to date -- rattle from sunroof (I can live with), just turn up the stereo or open the roof....:)

Other than that ---- Nothing :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
31000 miles in my 02 MCS and nothing very important has gone wrong. A breather pipe needed to be replaced under warranty, but that's it!

·
Registered
507 Posts
NeilF said:
What reliability statistics would that be then ?? They don't do brilliantly in the JD Power surveys but they don't do very badly either.
Sorry that it took me so long to answer.

The ADAC (with 15 million members Germany´s biggest automobile club) breakdown statistics of 2003 saw the MINI first place out of 21 in the subcompact category. The Renault Clio made it 20th out of 21.

Renault also came out last or next to last in 3 further categories. :eek:

Klaus

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
KlausR
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing