MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has been asked many times.....and here's the answer:

Here's the first picture of how the Cooper S in US-spec trim will look without a front license plate. (for those of us who will skirt the law requiring a front plate -- all in the name of the aesthetics of making the car look better :) )

Looks like just two small holes and no ugly bracket. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I personally like it better without the front plates. Many ppl I know in MA and NY (both 2 plate states) are running without them and have not been ticketed. And interestingly, I noticed that most, if not all, 'Vettes that I've seen don't wear a front plate

I guess it all just depends on how attentive the patrols are in the region you are in, and a missing plate will always provide a reason for them to stop you and may lead them to be more observant of your car & driving behavior prior to being pulled over. No need for aggravation so might as well have them on.

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
I live in North Carolina and no front plate is required. I always delete the front plate bracket in favor of a cleaner look.

Nice pic. Thanks!
-Mike

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I've got a slimeline plate all ready to go for my S.....Should fit well between top of bumper and top of air intake below. Australian Plates are probably similar in size to the US...maybe a little longer.

Black background....White numbers

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Thanks for the pic Bruce! The car looks much better without the front plate......I think I will remove it even though it's required here in VA (they are trying to pass a bill now that would abolish the front plate rule).

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S2000&CooperS said:
......I think I will remove it even though it's required here in VA (they are trying to pass a bill now that would abolish the front plate rule).
Well, that's some backwards legislation - I'm all for it! :)

The picture came from auto.com site coverage of the Detroit show. I wanted to link to it but it appeared in a popup window so it wasn't possible. There are other previously-unpublished photos of US-spec Cooper S cars there.

·
Registered
261 Posts
S2000&CooperS said:
Thanks for the pic Bruce! The car looks much better without the front plate......I think I will remove it even though it's required here in VA (they are trying to pass a bill now that would abolish the front plate rule).
I love living in PA. 1 plate baby!!! I used to get in trouble in NJ for not putting front plates on my Scirocco's.
The local Police new my name.
:eek: :mad: :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm also in PA. I'd be interested in adding an unofficial british/european style plate to the front. There is a British car accessories dealer in the area that can make them "to order".

Have one on the front of my Midget (see personal gallery).

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Well, Massachusetts is a two plate state, but with my new plates that say "GOMINI" I figure I want them front and back. Only problem is that the plates will be here before the car!
Doesn't the silver S look a bit high? Seems I've seen photo's of others that were lower.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Alas, Americanization has tattered our beloved MINI! Like most European cars, you have to lower them so that they look as cool as their European counter parts. My Scirocco's were really cool, but, before I lowered them I could throw a party up in the wheel wells!
:mad:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
The revenue from Speed Cameras won't see the front plate dropped from Australian roads. It's a shame they can't come up with a microchip or something a bit more hi-tech for the front. 21st Century after all !!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spoolin' said:
Alas, Americanization has tattered our beloved MINI! Like most European cars, you have to lower them so that they look as cool as their European counter parts....
Don't forget that the Cooper S is actually taller than the standard Cooper (and has a more narrow front and rear track).

Must be something to do with the larger wheels and lower profile tires. :)

Attachments

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Re: height of Cooper S: Not that I'll be in danger of rolling my S, seeing as it wiped the Viper's a** in the slolam tests. I wouldn't doubt that a lowering kit will soon be readily available. I wonder then, if 16" wheels will be needed instead of 17's? Perhaps low profile tires would offset this but I really don't like the look of BIG wheels and very little rubber.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Plates

New Mexico is a one-plate state. And then for the back, we usually smear it with mud so no one can read it.
So who has a source for those trendy European skinny plates?:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Plates

DeniseK said:
....So who has a source for those trendy European skinny plates?:D
You can get UK-style custom ordered ones in the US at triple-c.com

But, if you are serious about getting one you should know there is a method to the madness. Plates for modern UK cars are white plastic in the front and yellow plastic in the rear (not the old-style black/silver pressed aluminum plates also available at triple-c.com - they are for pre-72 (or so?) cars in the UK). And the numbering scheme in the UK changed this past September to a new formula indicating which 6-month period of each year the plate was issued as well as in which UK location.

I'm sure someone here on the forum could help you concoct a properly-formed bogus UK registration number appropriate for the build date of your future car. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
Re: height of Cooper S: Not that I'll be in danger of rolling my S, seeing as it wiped the Viper's a** in the slolam tests. I wouldn't doubt that a lowering kit will soon be readily available. I wonder then, if 16" wheels will be needed instead of 17's? Perhaps low profile tires would offset this but I really don't like the look of BIG wheels and very little rubber.
Y'know what? If it handles real well out-out-of-the-box, I probably won't lower it. Nothing's worse than spending money on a car and ruining the handling. Form follows function! :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts