MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what all you mini fanatics out there recommend when it comes to cleaning the black plastic bumper-like wheelarches? What is the best product out there and how do you apply it?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I always use a pressure washer on the black plastic bits. It is very important not to get polish on the plastic or it will discolour it. If you put the plastic/vinyl care product on first it will help to stop the polish contaminating the trim should you accidently catch it with the polish.

I have seen a lot of MINIs with spoilt black plastic trims caused by over liberal application of polish. Why they had to give the plastic a textured surface I do not know!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I found the BUMPER CARE the best when I was cleaning my old Fiesta :D :D :D Its best to use an old cotton T shirt to apply it with :) :) :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Another vote for Autoglym!

Fantastic stuff - sort of a green goo... Last weekend my MINI had awful looking dirty, faded trim all around the car - despite jetwash/jet-brushwash/handwash - but the Autoglym stuff has made the car look brand new again. 1 Week on and a quick wash has made it look as good as last weekend when i did it first.

10/10!

Their polish and carwash stuff is also very good...

·
Registered
39 Posts
vinylex by lexol

I have used "Black Chrome" and several other products, I find the quickest and easy way is with Vinylex by the makers of lexol, it isn't too shiny, can be applied to a small sponge then applied to the trim, last a long time and doesn't wash off with rain. You can also use it on the interior plastic and vinyl trim.

·
Registered
391 Posts
autoglym

I use either Autoglym bumper care or Mer Bumper Care. Both these products are very good, but the Mer is slighty thicker so it is easier to apply and last longer.

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
This may be considered a bit anal-retentive, but I've used the blue house-painter's masking tape (the kind that peels off without taking your fresh paint with it) to mask off the textured trim areas when waxing. Worked great - you could be as aggressive/sloppy as you wanted with the waxing, no worries about getting it on the trim.

Chip H.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ive used the autoglym stuff but I find Wonderwheels interior/exterior trim restorer to work pretty good plus I think it is cheaper...

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I use autoglym (and often get carried away with the polish and get some on the plastic bits)... Anyone know how to remove the polish from this?

Incidentally, I use Autoglym for two reasons:
A) It's rather good
B) I get it at trade price :D

Dom

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
chiph said:
This may be considered a bit anal-retentive, but I've used the blue house-painter's masking tape (the kind that peels off without taking your fresh paint with it) to mask off the textured trim areas when waxing. Worked great - you could be as aggressive/sloppy as you wanted with the waxing, no worries about getting it on the trim.

Chip H.
Chip - You Nerd!!!!!:D Bloody good idea - I'm off to Homebase in the morning to get some of that tape!

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
Chip - You Nerd!!!!!
:) :)

Actually, I wasn't sure if anyone had read it, considering the thread was about dried-polish removal, not prevention!

Something people might want to try if it's already "too late", is Lexol's Vinylex. It has some cleaning abilities (it will take several applications over time to get it all off), plus puts a shine on the plastic. Safe to use inside the car too.

Chip H.

·
Registered
984 Posts
you can buy an autoglym product fior removing polish from yuor plastic bits, i have some and it works well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
MINIALEX said:
you can buy an autoglym product fior removing polish from yuor plastic bits, i have some and it works well.
My God - you have plastic bits. Better see a doctor [email protected]%$"

No, hold that (the advice - not the bits!!) - better still offer them to that
"plasticised" body parts expo done by some whacky German
Prof thats on in london at the moment!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
chiph, I thought your idea was great ... until I spent an hour hunched over my Mini with a roll of masking tape! :)

Works great though!

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
Kether said:
chiph, I thought your idea was great ... until I spent an hour hunched over my Mini with a roll of masking tape! :)

Works great though!
That's when the nosy neighbor comes over and comments: "Y'know, that pin-striping is a little wide, if you ask me."
:rolleyes:

Glad it worked for you. :cool:

Chip H.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Any Stateside forum-watchers?

Of those on The Other Side of the Pond: Autoglym doens't seem to be available here in the U.S. Does anyone know of an equivalent product, or would someone contact me off-list if they'd be willing to ship me a bottle or two?

Just picked up my 2002 New Cooper on April 11th;
sold my first Mini (love) in 1969 (drat).

Cheers!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wot! No Autoglym!

Best advice is to sell your family and use the cash to get over the Pond to buy some here. Anything they make seems to be about the best of its kind money can buy - brilliant stuff!

On the other hand, I like egg bagels and you can't get them here like you can in Wal-Mart!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts