MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new at this I have no idea what to do to...

When I brought my 54 Plate MINI last week it looked amazing - it still does but its rained and a few odd scratches have appeared...

what did the dealer use to cover these up? what product? Im useless sorry!

Thanks in advance for answers

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
If they are actual little scrapes try T-cut.

If they are small scratches everywhere like swirls you could wax it and it will hide it temporarily.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Thanks

I have no swirls at all and touch wood I wont get none.

They arnt scrapes just small lines/scratches
Good stuff lol..

I had a long scratch down the driver side of the car going from the back to the front. I used t-cut on it about a month ago on the driver door and it went away and is yet to come back.

It is good stuff, hope you get it sorted ok.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Don't use T-Cut! and wax won't work very well either.

Depends how bad it is but the best products to use are Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Meguiars Scratch X. Apply with a foam applicator and wipe off using a microfibre cloth. Then end with a wax to protect the finish.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Don't use T-Cut! and wax won't work very well either.

Depends how bad it is but the best products to use are Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Meguiars Scratch X. Apply with a foam applicator and wipe off using a microfibre cloth. Then end with a wax to protect the finish.
Scratch X is excellent stuff.

i mentioned wax if he had swirls to hide them temporarily but it wont do anything for scratches I know.

I mentioned t cut because it worked for me but i also use scratch X for any other scratches now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Scratch X is excellent stuff.

i mentioned wax if he had swirls to hide them temporarily but it wont do anything for scratches I know.

I mentioned t cut because it worked for me but i also use scratch X for any other scratches now.
I don't want to offend you but wax isn't meant for covering swirls that's what polish is for. Wax is an LSP (Last Step Product) for protecting and enhancing the finish.
I said not to use T-Cut because it is very abrasive. On another forum someone used T-Cut on a black Astra VXR the results were terrible and he had to spend hours correcting the paintwork.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Yeah I know that, but if you buy wax that has alot of fillers in it it will hide the swirls temporarily. Polish is best but some waxes that arent really proper waxes have fillers.

Should have said it properly but ah well :smile:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

Yeah I have heard good things about Autoglym Super Resin Polish - just didnt know this was what to use to cover them scratches. I will buy some I think.

Already brought a lambswool mitten thingy to help prevent scratches :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I use the Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Meguiars Scratch X everytime I wash my car or should you only do it every month or something?

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
You can give every scratch a good going over with scratch X or super resin polish then a good coat of wax it will last a good while

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
First off to prevent scratches you should wash the car with 2 buckets ( 2 bucket method ) one bucket with car wash in to wash the car a panel at a time then one clean bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in, then dip it back in the soapy bucket once rinsed and repeat.

A Polish is as it says a polish (abrasive) which when used takes away microscopic layers of clearcoat when used so this should only be done every so often, on sold colour cars it may not have a clearcoat but all new MINI's do (i think)

A picture of the scratch would help alot if you can? how far down the paint work are they or is it just in the clear coat on top?

If it's to a certain degree then you are not going to remove it very well unless you have a machine polisher as with a hand an cloth its going to take ages if its deep and that may not even work at all.

Super Resin Polsih (SRP) is only a very soft polish and this will not abrade much at all but it is good for filling swirl marks which will apear on most cars when the havent been looked after correctly as it is full of fillers that do this. But this will not remove a sctratch trust me :)

Scratch X IMO is not that good of a product on some MINI paints as MINI paint is rock solid such as solid black that i have and scratch x will not touch a scratch on that paint work unless you spend hours on the same spot so one thing that will be good to no is the colour of you MINI?

To protect you car correctly you should:

1, Wash using a decent car wash solution not fairy liquid (not that you do) with 2 buckets.
2, Dry using a Micro fibre or Waffle weave drying towel, Pattng dry if you are serious about swirls.
3, Use an Abrasive polish to remove the scratch
3, Apply SRP to fill swirls
4, Apply Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection (EGP) for a final durable gloss coat
5, Apply a good wax which i will give when i no what colour you car is.

Im not saying that you will need to buy all those products a many MINI owners dont have them but that a good start to looking after it :)

Everything that i no i have learned from this place

A world for detailers...

they are the profesional at this thing and most people on there clean cars for a living and get paid a good wage to do so

Hope that helps and illhelp nore when i get more info from you :)

Scott

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info there.

I own a black mini one 54 plate. I just want it looking like it did last week - it looks amazing just the odd LIGHT scratch marks have appeared and I wondered how the dealer covered these up...if polish is abrasive then maybe I cant get that nice look all year round as its going to damage the paint....

surely there must be a product you can use all the time to cover up light scratches/marks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can certainly vouch for the wealth of info on Detailingworld.

But be careful, this detailing malarky is addictive and you may end up being an OCD....obsessive compulsive detailer:hmph:

·
T o t a l m i n i . c o m
4,467 Posts
I use colour polish on my car and it covers up all the impefections on the car, then give it a good wax afterwards and it gives it a great shine:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts