MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm finally able to take the plunge and order a new Mini and I was hoping someone around these parts (Seattle) might be able to point towards a FAQ or perhaps their own experience on the best way to do this without having to wait the 14 months+ that Northwest Mini is currently experiencing. As I see it, my options are:

1) Order from some place like Motorwerks Mini in Minneapolis (quoted 2-4 months) and drive or fly over there to pick up.
2) Order from any dealer that will ship it out to me.

Option 1 sounds ok, but then I have no idea how to handle the out-of-state purchase and subsequent taxes/registration. That and I have no idea about trading in my current ride. Do dealers use 3rd party, local appraisers to value a trade-in?

Option 2 worries me as it seems like I won't have any real way of inspecting the Mini before receiving it.

Any help is appreciated!
-t

·
MINI Groupie
105 Posts
Welcome!

I'm not from your state but since I'm only 8 hours away in Oregon that makes us neighbors. I'm from Southern Oregon and had the same dilemma you are currently in. I ordered from Kenny Tuter at Sandia MINI in New Mexico and my car is currently somewhere on it's maiden voyage across the ocean. I placed my order on 10/8/04 and hope to pickup 'er up the end of Dec.

I opted to fly down and drive the 24 hours home because I didn't want to make that major of a purchase sight unseen. Lots of people opt for having their car trucked. It's your call. I planned my purchase based on driving home and since my MCS would be coming in the winter months I avoided the snow zones. There is enough stress in buying a new vehicle without undergoing the torture of driving on rocked or sanded roads and hearing all those rocks hit your bonnet and windscreen. So I'm cruising through sunny New Mexico, Arizona and California.

All that buying out-of-state means is that all the registration/taxes are paid in your home state at the DMV. Sandia's $69 documentation charge will include a trip permit. I just show up with a check in hand, drive home and register my new baby.

The trade-in question is a good one. Call and ask the dealerships. Any chance of selling your current vehicle yourself?

Good luck and happy decision making!

·
Now motoring
55 Posts
I live in Seattle and ordered my S from Classic in Ohio. I ordered it 11/18 and it was just completed yesterday (12/8) and is either on its way to or is at the port of Southampton. I'm having it shipped out to me. No way I'd drive it across the country in the winter, might as well find the nearest gravel truck and follow it around for a couple of thousand miles. I'll post my experiences with delivery and licensing with the WA dmv. It's been 15 years since I bought an out of state car and dealt with the registration and use tax.

Ciao,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GianniB said:
I live in Seattle and ordered my S from Classic in Ohio. I ordered it 11/18 and it was just completed yesterday (12/8) and is either on its way to or is at the port of Southampton. I'm having it shipped out to me. No way I'd drive it across the country in the winter, might as well find the nearest gravel truck and follow it around for a couple of thousand miles. I'll post my experiences with delivery and licensing with the WA dmv. It's been 15 years since I bought an out of state car and dealt with the registration and use tax.
Any update on your order? Very curious to hear how it goes as I actually just placed an order yesterday with Classic. They seemed the nicest and were by far the cheapest. I'm planning to have mine shipped as well, what'd that end up costing you?
-t

·
Registered
17 Posts
GianniB said:

Ciao,
Hi GianniB. I too live in Seattle and purchased my S from Tennessee.(Paid MSRP) I am having it shipped to me. The trip from Southampton took about a week, and the trip from Charleston/VPC to Nashville took another week. The car sat at the shipper's terminal for a couple of days and is now in transit. My lender advised me that any taxes paid to the dealer in Nashville will be deducted from the taxes owed to WA.
Hope it's smooth sailing for your MCS. :cool:

·
Now motoring
55 Posts
Sorry for the lack of update, forgot about this thread. My car was completed 12/8 and sat on the docks in Southampton until the 17th. It was originally scheduled for a WW ship, but got bumped onto a KLine ship. This was a bit disconcerning for a while as the car seemed to disappear from the face of the earth. The KLine ship is due into Charleston on New Years Day. I'll update again when it makes it thru the VDC and gets to Classic. The shipping amount won't be known until the car is closer to the dealer and they can schedule with the carrier. The cost depends on what else is headed out to the NW. Julie at Classic has been *the best* to deal with.

Ciao,

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
I talked to NW MINI last January, and initially placed an order. It would have been coming in next month if I remember correctly. I ended up ordering from Salt Lake in Feb, canceled the NW order, and picked up first of Aug. I took the long way home, about 1,000 miles and some nice roads and hiking.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ordered my MCS from N orthwest Mini on January 15th.

I received my Production Number on February 23rd.

I received my build date of April 15th.

I'd deal with them again.

Rob
:red: :red: :red:

·
Now motoring
55 Posts
I took delivery of my car on the 4th of February. My timeline was:

Ordered: 11/18/04
Production number: 11/18/04
Build complete: 12/8/04
Departed Southampton: 12/17/04
Arrived Charleston, SC: 12/29/04
Arrived at dealer, Mentor, OH: 1/3/05
Loaded on truck: 1/29/04
Unloaded off truck in Seattle: 2/4/05

Julie @ Classic Mini was great to deal with, no markup or other dealer foolishness. I had one snag with the car in that in Seattle if your new car is titled on the MSO, you don't owe the *STUPID* monorail tax of 1.4% of the MSRP. If it comes in on an out of state title, Seattle considers it used and shakes you down for the tax. I asked for mine to come in on the MSO and Julie said it would be no problem, but someone in the back office of Classic messed up and titled the car in Ohio and sent me the title. Julie said, no problem, pay the tax and we will reimburse you - and they did. Cool.

Also, the company that transported my car - Concours Transport Systems was great as well. Fully enclosed, so the car was just as it was when it was in the showroom. It shared the trip with a couple other MINI's and a Ferrari.

Cheers,

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
wow Rob, that is great. I was there a year ago - but the schedule they gave me would have had me picking up the car about the day you ordered - like a Nov '04 produciton slot for a Jan '04 order. Looks like the backlog is a lot shorter. They still chargin $500 over invoice?

·
Registered
27 Posts
NW Mini, Tacoma, WA, USA

lespurgeon said:
... They still chargin $500 over invoice?
Yep! $500 over invoice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Order from Classic!

I had the same dilema when at the time of my interest in ordering (Jan '05), the wait was still 10+ months.

After a bit of searching the boards, I came across Classic Mini in Cleveland and the most amazing Motoring Advisor out there...Julie. I believe they can pretty much get you a car whenever you're ready...couple months at the most.

My wife and I are scheduled to fly out to pick up our car in late May and are driving back home cross-country. Can't think of a better way to break in a new MINI...so-o excited!

If you're not up for the long roadtrip, they have an arrangement with a shipping company.

Good luck!
Miles

·
Now motoring
55 Posts
Miles -

If you live in Seattle proper, make sure that you let Classic know that you want the car to remain on the MSO and not be titled in Ohio. Else you will be on the hook for the city Monorail tax of 1.4% of MSRP as your car will be considered used if it comes in on an out of state title - new cars on MSO are exempt from the Monorail tax for the first year of their registration. It was $278 on top of the 9% use tax on the purchase price of my Cooper S.

HTH,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts