you got rip off

• yes

• no, do them all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently took my 2012 mini cooper to a MINI Dealership and get a full inspection done. The results have just come out and I was shocked at how many problems there are (I originally just wanted an oil change service), and now the total bill is $2600+... (also I don't know why they are recommending me to change my 2 front tires when I literally had them changed back in Fall 2018)
Here is the list of services they "recommended" me to do, but I have no idea what these mean, so if anyone could tell me what is urgent and what is not necessary (aka they just want my money) that would be great!!!! Thank you so much!
  1. REPLACE UPPER WASHER HOSE ASSEMBLY, FRONT, AND REAR WIPER BLADES, TOP OFF WASHER FLUID LEVEL. (WASHER FLUID LOW, WASHER HOSE COMING APART, WIPERS STREAKING.)
  2. REPLACE RIGHT FRONT FENDER TRIM AND LIGHT ASSEMBLY(NOTE: CORE SUPPORT IS DAMAGE, MAY NOT FIT AS WELL). (DAMAGE.)
  3. FUEL INJECTION SERVICE. (FUEL INJECTION SERVICE.)
  4. COOLANT FLUID EXCHANGE SERVICE. (COOLANT FLUID EXCHANGE SERVICE.)
  5. REPLACE BOTH LICENSE PLATE BULBS AND RECHECK SYSTEM. (LICENSE PLATE BULBS INOP.)
  6. REPLACE OIL FILTER HOUSING GASKET AND CLEAN AREAS. (COOLANT SEEPAGE LEAK, GASKET IS SPLIT, COOLANT LEVEL LOW.)
  7. Mount and balance 2 new front tires (Both front tires worn below minimum specifications)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
way to much money also reading between the lines they are seeing the car as they would a brand new one sort of level of whats not perfect is my view, vague wording as well on injection service what do they mean by that, ie what are they saying will be replaced etc, think as you only put tyres on ot not long ago and i take it they are still ok think thats your clue they are picking cars a part to make money, as for £2600+ hmm for all that big alarms bells

·
Registered
543 Posts
What a joke... What I would do in order of priority:-
Get a new garage/mechanic
Ignore the washer hose advice and top up your level yourself
Trim - ignore
Fuel injection service (not even a thing so ignore)
Drain and refill your coolant yourself for around $40
Replace bulbs from local store.
Get a socket set and torque wrench and nip up the oil filter housing bolts to see if it fixes it, also check there is actually a leak...
That stealer is an ambarassment!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm not sure what country you're in and what is required by your country law to pass any tests required, but looking at your flag Spain.

I'll give it a try

BMW/MINI dealers will charge that sort of price, not sure what hourly rate they charge in your country but find a good local garage and the price will come down even with OEM parts. At least the price won't be as much hopefully.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After relocating to a different region of the U.S. I had a dentist who recommended $30k+ worth of "essential" dental work. She wasn't able to prioritize any portions f the work, because all of it was essential. My second opinion and now dentist for several years recommended $0 work, aside for the 6 month cleaning and occasional x-rays.

So, yeah. Get yourself a second opinion. Ask your neighbors and friends who they trust.

I'm no mechanic and just barely a DIY-er on my MINI, but I do have a couple of thoughts specific to the recommendations:
1. turn your lights on and see for yourself if the plate bulbs are operable. I can't imagine they are difficult to replace. YouTube has all sorts of DIY How To videos.
2. do you have streaks on your windshield? wipe the dust/dirt off the blades, if there is any. It's easy-peasy to change the blades yourself. Consider changing just the rubber blade, not the whole apparatus, as they are specific to MINI. That being said, I no longer have the original MINI wiper arm, and I don't have any problems.

Basically, too many mechanics, especially at the dealership, bank on our blind trust. So, kudos to you for questioning the report that you received.

(I think I'm finally going to obtain a torque wrench.)

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
i've worked for garages that would play these games of theft i believe i never stay'd long nasty way of doing things,, that said what i and where i work now do is to as working on any car look for possible issues that could destroy or end up having to redo a repair again as such,, ie if have engine out and clutch is worn then customer should have the chance to fix it then ie for just the price of parts and hour of time say against not doing it but 12 months later will once again be payng for gear box or engine out again to do a job that could of been sorted in the first place,, also we find a lot of jobs on older cars with high mileages can lead in to a mine field,, bit at end of day honesty and being upfront about what ever is being repaired and what might need repairing etc,, ie give the customer the chance to make a decision based on truth,,, also on old cars the amount of plastic clips and stuff that due to age and heat that break and snap can also be a problem when quoting for jobs, very hard sometimes not to break them by touching them joys of recyclable plastics designed to break down after so many years maybe part of this reason,,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure what country you're in and what is required by your country law to pass any tests required, but looking at your flag Spain.

I'll give it a try

BMW/MINI dealers will charge that sort of price, not sure what hourly rate they charge in your country but find a good local garage and the price will come down even with OEM parts. At least the price won't be as much hopefully.
Hi, I live in California.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i've worked for garages that would play these games of theft i believe i never stay'd long nasty way of doing things,, that said what i and where i work now do is to as working on any car look for possible issues that could destroy or end up having to redo a repair again as such,, ie if have engine out and clutch is worn then customer should have the chance to fix it then ie for just the price of parts and hour of time say against not doing it but 12 months later will once again be payng for gear box or engine out again to do a job that could of been sorted in the first place,, also we find a lot of jobs on older cars with high mileages can lead in to a mine field,, bit at end of day honesty and being upfront about what ever is being repaired and what might need repairing etc,, ie give the customer the chance to make a decision based on truth,,, also on old cars the amount of plastic clips and stuff that due to age and heat that break and snap can also be a problem when quoting for jobs, very hard sometimes not to break them by touching them joys of recyclable plastics designed to break down after so many years maybe part of this reason,,
This is so true.

Hi, I live in California.
The flag threw me off, but I guess you could be on VPN or something and also $ should've gave it away.

With the dealers I always have it in my mind that we're not only paying for labour & parts but also contributing to the dealership like free tea/coffee/biscuits etc... (y).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts