MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Go to www.msauk.org

And specifically this page:
http://www.msauk.org/Go_motorsport/noviceRace.htm

And then go to www.johncooper.co.uk and join the John Cooper Challenge for next year! Andy Waterfall, a regular on here, is selling his club class car - he was second in last years' championship. Don't hassle yourself with building your own race MINI, unless you're doing a purpose-built racecar with serious power, welded-in cage, etc.

James

·
Registered
28 Posts
The annual entry fee for the JCC changes depending on the year’s format. The first year included the car. The second year included a few mods, and the third year included an engine upgrade. The second and third year entry fees were well under 10 grand including the car mods.

On top of that you have running costs (tyres, fuel, accommodation, car damage, etc). Expect 2004 to cost at least £10K all in. Some people will spend lots more, some less. I have spent under 3 grand so far this year (excluding the initial entry fee), and I couldn’t have afforded to spend any more than that.

Nick-o – there is a BMW M3-engined MINI that races in Britcar. Also John Cooper Works entered a heavily modified S in the Nurburgring 24hrs. There will lots of info and piccies if you do a good search on Google.

Cheers

James

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hmm, i dont think my local education authority (my employers) will sponser me...
Back to the drawing board. :(

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
JamesWhelan said:
Go to www.msauk.org

And specifically this page:
http://www.msauk.org/Go_motorsport/noviceRace.htm

And then go to www.johncooper.co.uk and join the John Cooper Challenge for next year! Andy Waterfall, a regular on here, is selling his club class car - he was second in last years' championship. Don't hassle yourself with building your own race MINI, unless you're doing a purpose-built racecar with serious power, welded-in cage, etc.

James
Andy has sold his club sport now - to a MINI2er I believe

It's not essential to spend the 10K area budget if youjust want to race in the UK

A club sport will happily compete with others and you can enter an average race event for around £150 - with around £200-300 for tyres petrol etc you could have a great weekend out for the £4/500 mark and maybe less

IF you have your sights set on a full championship though you have to be prepared to enter all rounds which can be between 9 and 14 and hence increase risk of damge / parts and then you are looking at £10K for the season - TO be really competitive in a MINI and win a championship - well find some sponsors because you are unlikely to do it for less than £20K

As for full race prepped Coopers - mine hopefully will be next year and I'm just waiting to see what championships pop up ready for it :)

G

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
It's pretty variable - not being in motor industry doesn't matter - motor based sponsors are normally all taken up by the big boys etc. What you do need is good contacts in your own industry and be able to sell yourself / skills well - Unfortunately if you are just starting out you have no track record (no pun intended) and hence they need to trust you and be convinced there sponsorship will get them some benefits - Bottom line is it's a numbers game really more people you approach more likely you are to succeed and good sponsorship = penny's = better car prep = go faster = more sponsorship

Importantly you'll notice that most of the JCC cars do not carry well known companies as sponsors but small local businesses rarely have the money or can see the benefits - so pitch somewhere in the middle

G

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
REally you should look to cover your seasons costs - that tends to reflect the level and coverage they will get - MOst use sposnsorship as a way to provide corporate hospitality for their clients ie Come and see our race car while we sell you something - Some do it for the love of motorsport and some to increase sales (ie THose realted to MINI parts etc.)

In general the bigger the series the bigger the costs and the more extensive the coverage = more sposnsorship money

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Absolutely - Although you get to the stage where it tends to be easier to have one main sponsors and then surround them with other smaller ones -

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
I'd say unless you have an in these are a bit large - but no harm in trying - Look at large local companies who might want to get better coverage nationally - (JArvis IM for me last year) or companies with small offices dotted across the country who would benefit from events at lots of different sites (Speedsters Dental Directory)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
Racer
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing