MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can you tell the difference between facelift and pre-facelift MCS 6-speed gearboxes?

I have two boxes sat here, and the only difference seems to be the final drive. The one box has 85 teeth, and the other has 89 on its final drive. The number on either box dont match any part number as BMW or RealOEM.com.

So which one is the facelift box, and is there any other way to tell?

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When D & A fit the Quaife they should be able to tell you.
They think 89 is the facelift, but I was sold the other gearbox from a vendor who also said it was a facelift box, hence I am double checking as it has 85 teeth. Guess he didnt expect me to try and verify it.

·
258.3bhp and 263.1Nm
699 Posts
I thought the only technical difference WAS the final drive.
As i believe all the gears are different, as a mate of mine has a pre facelift MCS and i have a Facelift MCS, he can do 72mph in 2nd gear where i can do about 56mph. (or was it 65mph in my facelift car, i cant remember, but i know that i cant get 72 out of 2nd)

Alex

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
surel its got to be the one with the higher final drive so 89 teeth. Best thing to triple check is speek to BMW

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BMW cant say as they supply the box as a comple box, and cant give any info of the parts inside the box.

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
not very scientific but would guess more teeth = more mpg, and so later box? that would be my choice, but worth an email to getrag, or anybody doing factory tour soon, might be able to get part number from a convertible? ;)

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a feeling no one will be able to tell me with any certainty as few people take the gearbox apart, and I would imagine even fewer have counted the final drive teeth. :(

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Ok,

The old 2002 type gearbox is GS6-85BG - TBKA

the new 2005 type gearbox is GS6-85BG - TBKE

And if your really lucky and it ends in TBKL it already has a diff on it. Not sure if you can see that anywhere on the box

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Ant.

Both boxes have a sticker, one has BKD on it, and the other has BKE on it. Neither sticker has any of the part number before that.

So it looks like the BKE one is the facelift model with 89 teeth in the final drive.

Where the BKD comes into it, I dont know, but the amount of teeth is different to the BKE box.

Looks like I will have to call the vendor who told me it was a facelift box and kick up a fuss. Most annoying thing is how far I had to drive for it, and I even confirmed multiple times that it was the facelift MCS 6-speed box.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
As i believe all the gears are different, as a mate of mine has a pre facelift MCS and i have a Facelift MCS, he can do 72mph in 2nd gear where i can do about 56mph. (or was it 65mph in my facelift car, i cant remember, but i know that i cant get 72 out of 2nd)

Alex
Should be about 56 or so at the red line on the facelift :) As tested on the 30-70 thread since only the pre facelifts can do it in 2nd.....

·
MiniTorque*****
1,072 Posts
Should be about 56 or so at the red line on the facelift :) As tested on the 30-70 thread since only the pre facelifts can do it in 2nd.....
Pre-facelifts can only do it with a slightly increased rev limit as I tried it with the stock rev limit and the performance box and although the speedo says its doing more than 70mph its only really doing 69 then it just bounces off the limiter :mad:, but defo better than the facelift model.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts