MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reasonably reliable way to estimate how many miles a Mini has covered? (Apart from the milometer :) )

I'm looking for wear on a component - say pedals, indicator, switches, seat belts - that might give a clue.

The reason I ask is that, potentially suspect history aside, I've noticed the underside of the driver's mat is heavily worn (cracked/crumbling backing) on my 2004 30,000 MCS. A friend's 15,000 2005 shows no wear at all. Seems trivial but it's the only thing that I can spot that looks worn!

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Don't just go off a car Mat, it could of been transferred from any car!
Check MOT's and service history.
Also peppering on the front Bumper and bonnet, Peppering on Windscreen to. Brake disks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
take into account on how many times someone has been in and out of the mini, and how many short trips its made
Yes, quite right. The later Mini is a shopping car - only used for short trips - which is what made me wonder about the mats. I simply don't know the type of use mine's had.

Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't just go off a car Mat, it could of been transferred from any car!
Check MOT's and service history.
Also peppering on the front Bumper and bonnet, Peppering on Windscreen to. Brake disks.
The mats were original fit to both cars - I think it's unlikely that a previous owner would have swapped out the new mat for an old one. Possible though.

Windscreen/bumper/bonnet all look good on both - but they tedn to weather well in any case I think; mine had new disks at 28,000.

I know of people who clock cars - it's just too easy, and MOT/service history isn't good enough.

Just curious about this - it seems there's no reliable way to spot a clocked Mini.

Rob

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
The mats were original fit to both cars - I think it's unlikely that a previous owner would have swapped out the new mat for an old one. Possible though.
In your post you suspect that someone has clocked the car, but can't see why that person would have replaced new mats for older ones. And how do you know thye are original fit if you haven' t had the car from new? There are reasons why older mats would get put in. Don't think mats are the way to judge the mileage. You should be looking for seat wear/sag, steering wheels wear and other signs that the car has done more miealge than recorded.

Also try here MOT Information - Introduction. This should give you the mileages each MOT provided they were recorded. It's a start, and free:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In your post you suspect that someone has clocked the car, but can't see why that person would have replaced new mats for older ones. And how do you know thye are original fit if you haven' t had the car from new? There are reasons why older mats would get put in. Don't think mats are the way to judge the mileage. You should be looking for seat wear/sag, steering wheels wear and other signs that the car has done more miealge than recorded.

Also try here MOT Information - Introduction. This should give you the mileages each MOT provided they were recorded. It's a start, and free:)
Yes - I suppose older mats could have been put in - although they were fitted from new as standard (Chili pack). The originals could have been wrecked in some way and one of the owners got a replacement from a scrap yard. It's possible. I can't see any wear on the seats etc.

I've checked the MOT records - did before I bought along with a search. Mileage - 5,000 miles in the first 18 months, 23,000 with the previous owner over 30 months. I'm trying to investigate the possibility that the car was clocked in the first 18 months.

Rob

·
MINI2 Regular
166 Posts
What makes you think it has been clocked in the first 18 months? Because it had only done 5k? I sold my mini a few weeks ago, I had it from new, it has just turned 2 years old and only had 7k on the clock. Alot of minis are geniune low mileage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What makes you think it has been clocked in the first 18 months? Because it had only done 5k? I sold my mini a few weeks ago, I had it from new, it has just turned 2 years old and only had 7k on the clock. Alot of minis are geniune low mileage.
The reason I ask is that, potentially suspect history aside, I've noticed the underside of the driver's mat is heavily worn (cracked/crumbling backing) on my 2004 30,000 MCS. A friend's 15,000 2005 shows no wear at all. Seems trivial but it's the only thing that I can spot that looks worn!

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
109 Posts
How does the car feel to drive. A high mileage car tends to feel a lot looser than a low mileage car. The difference in feel of the steering, brakes etc between our 32,000 MCS and the 90,000 mile Cooper I had as a company car is phenomenal. The high mileage cooper felt very loose and rattly compared to our MCS :)

I wouldn't base the fact a cars been clocked on a crumbly floor mat tho. I had a 16,000 mile New Beetle a few years back, in that time due to the type of shoes I wore and the way I position my feet when I drive I'd worn through the drivers floor mat. I did the same in 12k on a brand new Renault Clio I bought a few years ago!

Also where did you buy it from? The mileage would be guaranteed if it was Mini Cherished :)

On another note I had another New Beetle (I've had 3) and that was mint when I sold it, no stone chips, or wear to any interior or exterior components - I sold it with 29K on the clock - I was just extremely careful with it :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How does the car feel to drive. A high mileage car tends to feel a lot looser than a low mileage car. The difference in feel of the steering, brakes etc between our 32,000 MCS and the 90,000 mile Cooper I had as a company car is phenomenal. The high mileage cooper felt very loose and rattly compared to our MCS :)

I wouldn't base the fact a cars been clocked on a crumbly floor mat tho. I had a 16,000 mile New Beetle a few years back, in that time due to the type of shoes I wore and the way I position my feet when I drive I'd worn through the drivers floor mat. I did the same in 12k on a brand new Renault Clio I bought a few years ago!

Also where did you buy it from? The mileage would be guaranteed if it was Mini Cherished :)

On another note I had another New Beetle (I've had 3) and that was mint when I sold it, no stone chips, or wear to any interior or exterior components - I sold it with 29K on the clock - I was just extremely careful with it :)
My 2004/30k MCS rattles a fair bit more than a 2005/15k One - but the biggest source of noise is the squeaky leather seats ;-) Otherwise, tight as a drum - both cars. I bought privately - ex-company car and the MD had very little interest in it - knocked £1k off as much to save hassle as anything.

You're right of course on the mat!

An issue with newer cars is that they do hide age well. My last car was a Seat Leon - 110,000 and really, stone chips on the bonnet aside, you'd never have known.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check if mileage is genuine? Why not fone BMW which I think is in Bracknell UK, with the VIN number. I know this is possible with BMW cars.
Also any MINI dealer should be able to call up all the details on his computer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do an Hpi Check

For full peace of mind -
Yes, thanks, I have - that's how I know the recorded year-by-year mileage. I have heard that people clock their cars and - to the best of my knowledge - if it's done 'properly' (google 'mileage correction) it's impossible to detect except by mechanical inspection, hence my post.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Thanks, Rob
Maybe the previous owner wore dress shoes with sharp heels, unlike trainers with soft heels?
That would cause mats to perish quicker than normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts