MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 Cooper came with OEM Michelin 175/65-15 tires. I can't find many replacement tires (or at least not the ones that I want) in that size, so I'm looking at plus-sizing while staying with the original 15" wheels.

I got the diameter numbers below from the info on this site for identifying OEM wheels and tires and added data for width:

tire size overall diameter %change width difference
--------- ---------------- ------- ----- ----------
205/55-15 23.88in (606.5mm) -0.33% 8.07in +1.18in
175/65-15 23.96in (608.5mm) --N/A- 6.89in
195/60-15 24.21in (615.0mm) +1.04% 7.68in +0.79in

According to this data, either the 205/55 or 195/60 tires are very close to maintaining the original overall diameter of the 175/65 tires (i.e. staying within +/-3%.)

My question pertains to whether I'll have a problem with running a tire with either 195 or 205 width on the existing OEM wheels? I don't know much about pushing the limits of plus-sizing, but the problems I can imagine running into are 1) tire being too wide to properly fit on the OEM wheels, and/or 2) tire being too wide and rubbing on the fender, suspension, etc.

My Cooper has stock suspension and the R100 5-spoke Spooler wheels with ET45.

I've searched the FAQ and came across some data for other wheel sizes but not the 15". I'm guessing that overall width won't be a problem since other OEM wheel/tire combos are wider (unless my offset is significantly different from those.)

Thanks for your help!
David

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Welcome to MINI2 ...

All OEM wheel sizes (diameter and width) are listed in the FAQ:
15 x 5.5
16 x 6.5
17 x 7
18 x 7​
Both 195/60 and 205/55 will fit on 15" OEM wheels.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is an interesting thread as I have 15inch wheels and have often thought about wider tyres. If you went to 185 or 195 width tyres what tyre pressures would you have to use? I am sure these would be differant to the OEM ones??

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I got charged £58 for the standard 175 tyres from the dealer.
I have P3000s, so Michelins may be more or less.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
205/55-R15 88V Kumho ECSTA SPT on 15" 7-hole OEM Alloys

Both 195/60 and 205/55 will fit on 15" OEM wheels.

This is an interesting thread as I have 15inch wheels and have often thought about wider tyres. If you went to 185 or 195 width tyres what tyre pressures would you have to use? I am sure these would be differant to the OEM ones??
From a stock of 175/65-R15 84H Pirelli P300E*, I've moved on to running 205/55-R15 88V Kumho ECSTA SPT on my 15" 7-hole OEM alloys. :D When going wider, make sure you uprate the speed rating and load index on the tyre, this compensates for the fact that the side wall will be bent in ever-so-slightly to fit on your rim. ;)

Grip is amazing with the wider tyre, no more problems with wheel-spinning away when turning out onto a main road, road holding when cornering is fantastic and stopping power is phenomenal. Control and hydroplaning resistance with these tyres is a vast improvement on the stock Pirelli P3000E. Ride comfort is also increased and road noise is reduced.

For the feel of the drive, you will notice the steering fractionally heavier than with the narrower Pirellis, and you will receive more feedback of the road through the steering wheel. However, I quite appreciate having increased road feedback and don't mind the added weight to the steering - you quickly get used to it and you won't notice it after a week or so.

As for tyre pressures (sorry for this next bit, I stopped using PSI :eek:), I've been using roughly the same as stock. In bars, stock is 2.1 on all wheels when the car is empty, so I tend to run 2.15 bars to cope with occasionally having a passenger who's quite tall and heavy. When the car is full, pressure recommended is 2.4 bar - I recently did a motorway journey with my girlfriend, myself, and a reasonable amount of luggage on 2.25 bar. Tyre wear is even and I've experienced no problems - even when driving quite hard.

This tyre does reduce the rolling radius when compared to the stock fitment, but the speedometer did not need recalibration, and now slightly over-estimates... but this is within tolerances and it's better to over-estimate speed than under-estimate it. I suppose one added bonus is that it marginally improves acceleration - although I'm sure the effect is negligible, acceleration was more markedly improved by the reduction of wheel-spin from stand-still. :)

I really recommend making the move to the wider tyre. Though do be sure to declare it to your insurance company - Adrian Flux was ok with it and noted it on the policy, even though it didn't affect any premiums or excesses.

As an added bonus, the Kumho ECSTA SPT tyre is actually cheaper than the Pirelli, even though it out-performs it in absolutely EVERY category I can think of. ;) It's a great tyre and magnificent value for money - you won't regret it. :D

So... hope that helps, let me know if I've missed out anything.

All the best,
Andrew.​

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts

From a stock of 175/65-R15 84H Pirelli P300E*, I've moved on to running 205/55-R15 88V Kumho ECSTA SPT on my 15" 7-hole OEM alloys. :D When going wider, make sure you uprate the speed rating and load index on the tyre, this compensates for the fact that the side wall will be bent in ever-so-slightly to fit on your rim. ;)

Grip is amazing with the wider tyre, no more problems with wheel-spinning away when turning out onto a main road, road holding when cornering is fantastic and stopping power is phenomenal. Control and hydroplaning resistance with these tyres is a vast improvement on the stock Pirelli P3000E. Ride comfort is also increased and road noise is reduced.

For the feel of the drive, you will notice the steering fractionally heavier than with the narrower Pirellis, and you will receive more feedback of the road through the steering wheel. However, I quite appreciate having increased road feedback and don't mind the added weight to the steering - you quickly get used to it and you won't notice it after a week or so.

As for tyre pressures (sorry for this next bit, I stopped using PSI :eek:), I've been using roughly the same as stock. In bars, stock is 2.1 on all wheels when the car is empty, so I tend to run 2.15 bars to cope with occasionally having a passenger who's quite tall and heavy. When the car is full, pressure recommended is 2.4 bar - I recently did a motorway journey with my girlfriend, myself, and a reasonable amount of luggage on 2.25 bar. Tyre wear is even and I've experienced no problems - even when driving quite hard.

This tyre does reduce the rolling radius when compared to the stock fitment, but the speedometer did not need recalibration, and now slightly over-estimates... but this is within tolerances and it's better to over-estimate speed than under-estimate it. I suppose one added bonus is that it marginally improves acceleration - although I'm sure the effect is negligible, acceleration was more markedly improved by the reduction of wheel-spin from stand-still. :)

I really recommend making the move to the wider tyre. Though do be sure to declare it to your insurance company - Adrian Flux was ok with it and noted it on the policy, even though it didn't affect any premiums or excesses.

As an added bonus, the Kumho ECSTA SPT tyre is actually cheaper than the Pirelli, even though it out-performs it in absolutely EVERY category I can think of. ;) It's a great tyre and magnificent value for money - you won't regret it. :D

So... hope that helps, let me know if I've missed out anything.

All the best,
Andrew.​
I've just had new tyres, but I cannot understand how bigger tyres can fit small wheels. Does the sidewall not bend and then eventually perform badly. The main concern I have is that it may put extra wear on my PAS pump:eek:, and cost a lot at the dealer! However, as the tyres are cheaper, they may be worth looking at. How long do the Khumo tyres last - i get about 12000 miles out of my P3000s, which I don't think is too good, but considering I do very little mileage so I don't tend to worry too much! Saying that, £58 from the 'stealer' isn't too bad in my opinion.

·
8,410 Posts
I've just had new tyres, but I cannot understand how bigger tyres can fit small wheels. Does the sidewall not bend and then eventually perform badly. The main concern I have is that it may put extra wear on my PAS pump:eek:, and cost a lot at the dealer! However, as the tyres are cheaper, they may be worth looking at. How long do the Khumo tyres last - i get about 12000 miles out of my P3000s, which I don't think is too good, but considering I do very little mileage so I don't tend to worry too much! Saying that, £58 from the 'stealer' isn't too bad in my opinion.
I think I paid around £47 per tyre (fitted) for the Kumhos... can't quite remember, but it was certainly less than £50 per wheel.

As for the sidewall, it does bulge a little bit, but it's not drastic. This is one of the reasons that the European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation recommends uprating the speed index and load rating of the tyre from stock specification when fitting a wider tyre. This ensures that the sidewall is able to cope with the additional strain. With the Pirellis, I'd already uprated from speed rating T to H, but I uprated again to V for the wider Kumhos. As for load index, I uprated from 84 to 88.

This tyre, as fitted, out performs the Pirelli in every single category. No worries about aquaplaning with it being a wider tyre either, because the directional tread is just so good - it handles standing water MUCH better than the Pirelli P3000E... and we get a lot of standing water in Glasgow, believe me. :p

I was getting about 12,000 miles out of the P3000E*s as well - so far, I've done about 4,000 miles on the Kumhos them without any real sign of wear. So I'm optimistic they'll hold up well. :D

As for the power steering pump, the same pump is used in MINIs of all different wheel sizes, so should cope with the wider contact patch, much the same as it would have to for cars running 16- and 17-inch wheels. If you're worried about the Power Steering Pump, there are some routine maintenance procedures you can do to extend its life (as posted in the Power Steering Pump thread by Adam at MINIMANIAUK):

If your power steering pump should fail, then here's a guide for approaching your dealership:

Let me know if there's anything else I can advise on. :D

All the best,
Andrew.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I think I paid around £47 per tyre (fitted) for the Kumhos... can't quite remember, but it was certainly less than £50 per wheel.

As for the sidewall, it does bulge a little bit, but it's not drastic. This is one of the reasons that the European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation recommends uprating the speed index and load rating of the tyre from stock specification when fitting a wider tyre. This ensures that the sidewall is able to cope with the additional strain. With the Pirellis, I'd already uprated from speed rating T to H, but I uprated again to V for the wider Kumhos. As for load index, I uprated from 84 to 88.

This tyre, as fitted, out performs the Pirelli in every single category. No worries about aquaplaning with it being a wider tyre either, because the directional tread is just so good - it handles standing water MUCH better than the Pirelli P3000E... and we get a lot of standing water in Glasgow, believe me. :p

I was getting about 12,000 miles out of the P3000E*s as well - so far, I've done about 4,000 miles on the Kumhos them without any real sign of wear. So I'm optimistic they'll hold up well. :D

As for the power steering pump, the same pump is used in MINIs of all different wheel sizes, so should cope with the wider contact patch, much the same as it would have to for cars running 16- and 17-inch wheels. If you're worried about the Power Steering Pump, there are some routine maintenance procedures you can do to extend its life (as posted in the Power Steering Pump thread by Adam at MINIMANIAUK):
If your power steering pump should fail, then here's a guide for approaching your dealership:
Let me know if there's anything else I can advise on. :D

All the best,
Andrew.
Thanks - when I get new tyres I'll look into the option! Do the sidewalls look as though they bend out, or do they just nook 'normal'?

·
Registered
195 Posts
MOS, those P3000 are not vg, I had them before I changed to 205/50 R16 and the noise is so much lower. The Pirelli P3000 are very noisy in my opinion.

·
8,410 Posts
Thanks - when I get new tyres I'll look into the option! Do the sidewalls look as though they bend out, or do they just nook 'normal'?
I'll try to get a picture up if I remember... I'm quite bad for following up whenever I say that, particularly as now I'm running into my annual assessments at University. :rolleyes: :eek:

Just send me a PM to remind me if I don't get one up in the next week (as by then I won't have an excuse not to do it :p). ;)

All the best,
Andrew.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
I'll try to get a picture up if I remember... I'm quite bad for following up whenever I say that, particularly as now I'm running into my annual assessments at University. :rolleyes: :eek:

Just send me a PM to remind me if I don't get one up in the next week (as by then I won't have an excuse not to do it :p). ;)

All the best,
Andrew.
Thanks a lot mate, where do you get your tyres fitted? I doubt the dealer would do it would they? What did they say when you wanted to replace your 175s with 205s? Thanks for the picture anyway!:nice:

·
8,410 Posts
Thanks a lot mate, where do you get your tyres fitted? I doubt the dealer would do it would they? What did they say when you wanted to replace your 175s with 205s? Thanks for the picture anyway!:nice:
No, the dealer wouldn't fit them. Actually, the dealer wouldn't even order in any other tyre from the three 'stock' choices: Pirelli P3000E*, Dunlop Sport 01 (or something like that), and some sort of Continental tyre... a pretty poor offering, if you ask me.

When going for the Kumhos, I simply looked online for an authorised Kumho fitter, told them exactly the size, speed rating, and load index I wanted, and they fitted it for me. Simple. :)

Worth considering is if your warranty is still in effect. The dealership told me that fitting tyres through anyone other than a BMW dealer, with any sort of brand/size not BMW-approved would invalidate my warranty and TLC. Both of these had expired for me anyway, so it wasn't a factor at this time. However, earlier it had kept me on one more set of Pirellis than I would otherwise have bought. People on here have since told me the dealer was talking rubbish, but worth investigating that a little further if you've still got a warranty or TLC package active.

All the best,
Andrew.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
No, the dealer wouldn't fit them. Actually, the dealer wouldn't even order in any other tyre from the three 'stock' choices: Pirelli P3000E*, Dunlop Sport 01 (or something like that), and some sort of Continental tyre... a pretty poor offering, if you ask me.

When going for the Kumhos, I simply looked online for an authorised Kumho fitter, told them exactly the size, speed rating, and load index I wanted, and they fitted it for me. Simple. :)

Worth considering is if your warranty is still in effect. The dealership told me that fitting tyres through anyone other than a BMW dealer, with any sort of brand/size not BMW-approved would invalidate my warranty and TLC. Both of these had expired for me anyway, so it wasn't a factor at this time. However, earlier it had kept me on one more set of Pirellis than I would otherwise have bought. People on here have since told me the dealer was talking rubbish, but worth investigating that a little further if you've still got a warranty or TLC package active.

All the best,
Andrew.
I best leave it for a bit - but when the warranty and TLC runs out...;)

Fancy mini not allowing you to choose whether to have different size tyres fitted - as you say your Khumos are the same size as those fitted to bullets/s spokes etc. Wretched dealer:angry::angry::angry:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would love to see a set of 15's maybe 7.5 inches wide lowered to the floor lol :D
quite a few people over in the states run konig / speedline etc 15x7 rims slammed and it dose look very nice, the stock 15's are too narrow for wider tyres, and dont perform even when fitted they need the rims to be wider to cope, as i think the stock 15s are 15x5.5 when as you said they relay need to be 15x7 at least with a decent offset.

EVO found this a few years back when Harry Metcalf tested a works cooper club sport on EVO's road and track car of the year on stock pepper pot 15's with dunlop DZ' (i cant remember what compound) and running i think spax shocks, said it didnt feel as good to drive as his works cooper long termer that was on 16's with normal road tyres (dont know what make)

·
8,410 Posts
the stock 15's are too narrow for wider tyres, and dont perform even when fitted they need the rims to be wider to cope, as i think the stock 15s are 15x5.5 when as you said they relay need to be 15x7 at least with a decent offset.
:eek: I'm running 205s on stock 'pepper pots' (15x5.5 J-rim), and I'm afraid I must disagree - sorry James! :redface: (see previous posts)

Ride quality is superb, steering is precise and nicely weighted, cornering and acceleration/braking grip is phenomenal, and it's a very cheap way to improve the drive of a ONE. :D

Perhaps the 205s on a 5.5 J-rim would not perform as well as would 205s on a 7.0 J-rim, but they certainly perform better than 175s on a 5.5 J-rim (the practical comparison for me). :) As for larger sizes, anything bigger than 205s is not really sane - the European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation assures me larger than 205 on a 5.5 J-rim would be unsafe. :eek:

So if comparing sizes wider than 205mm, then you are quite correct in saying a 15x7.0 J-rim is necessary. ;) I certainly wouldn't want to be in a car with wider tyres than that on 'pepper pots'. :eek:

I absolutely would not want to go back to 175s on the 5.5 J-rim - the car simply grips the road so much better on the 205/55-R15 88V fitment.

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
460 Posts
your quite correct, i was meaning folks running upwards of 215 or too high a side wall on tyres, your choice of 205-55 is perrty much bang on 0.34% off the stock speedo requirement when the acceptable margin is 3% !, on personal preference ive always like t o have my tyres bang in the middle of their rim margin as i push my car very very hard

I was very tired when i typed it and knew i probably forgot to mention what sizes i was on about i was always tempted to bang some 205's on my old pepper pots many moons ago.

ive been through a few sets of rims since and im just about to fit some nice new light weight 17's as i need the clearance for my big brake kit (when i get round to fittng it)

·
8,410 Posts
Shedding light on the issue of wider tyres and their appearance...

Right, I promised pictures of the wider tyres - sorry for the delay and thanks to James (M.O.S) for the reminder. :D

Do excuse the fact that some of the shots were grainy and the comparison shots were not always the exact same angle... but hopefully it'll give you a good idea as to what moving from a stock fitment to a wider tyre will look like on a MINI with OEM 15-inch alloys. Enjoy! :cool:

All the best,
Andrew.

Image Descriptions:
  1. Pirelli P3000E* 175/65-R15 84H - Front quarter shot of entire car
  2. Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 205/55-R15 88V - Front quarter shot of entire car
  3. Pirelli P3000E* 175/65-R15 84H - Rear wheel tread
  4. Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 205/55-R15 88V - Rear wheel tread
  5. Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 205/55-R15 88V - Rear wheel, angled to look at sidewall bulge

Attachments

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Right, I promised pictures of the wider tyres - sorry for the delay and thanks to James (M.O.S) for the reminder. :D

Do excuse the fact that some of the shots were grainy and the comparison shots were not always the exact same angle... but hopefully it'll give you a good idea as to what moving from a stock fitment to a wider tyre will look like on a MINI with OEM 15-inch alloys. Enjoy! :cool:

All the best,
Andrew.

Image Descriptions:
  1. Pirelli P3000E* 175/65-R15 84H - Front quarter shot of entire car
  2. Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 205/55-R15 88V - Front quarter shot of entire car
  3. Pirelli P3000E* 175/65-R15 84H - Rear wheel tread
  4. Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 205/55-R15 88V - Rear wheel tread
  5. Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31 205/55-R15 88V - Rear wheel, angled to look at sidewall bulge
That looks better than I thought! Actually, the bulge may be beneficial - protection from kerbs! Might have to do that when the TLC etc runs out!

·
8,410 Posts
That looks better than I thought! Actually, the bulge may be beneficial - protection from kerbs! Might have to do that when the TLC etc runs out!
Yea, I'm quite fond of the almost cartoony appearance of the wider Kumhos in comparison to the old stock fitment Pirellis. I think it's particularly in keeping with the 'pepper pot' alloys and works pretty well. :cool:

You're right, it does protect against curbing - could probably still be done (I'm sure someone could find a way to do it) but I think the alloys are pretty safe now. :D

The best thing about these tyres though is the just fantastic performance increase over the old tyres... and for less money! Just so long as warranty/TLC has expired (no hassles with the dealer) and you've fully declared it to your insurer (Adrian Flux didn't mind in the slightest), then it really is a no-brainer - it is such a good performance mod moving to a wider tyre. :p

Anyhoo, I think I've about beaten than issue to death for now. :eek: But do feel free to ask if there's anything I've left out. :)

All the best,
Andrew.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts