MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1575 Posts

·
Only Unbalanced
Joined
·
924 Posts
Driving home from work this evening I had a fresh idea...driving in NY/NJ during rush hour sucks. Not very challenging, hot, humid, too much traffic and, horror of horrors, I have been passing MINIs lately that don't wave! (Can you imagine that?)

So I thought, what better way to remedy this then another ROAD TRIP

And by far, one of the best road trips I've taken was the Hudson Bay or Bust trip in October of 2002.
http://www.davidrose.us/DavidWebPage/MINICooperS/HudsonsBay/JamesBayTrip.html

That was the fall. It was very colorful, and just a tad cold. Now, I am thinking FEBRUARY, 2004.

Anyone want to come along? As of yet (4 hours into this plan) the details are, eh, sketchy. I thought Feb so I can bring my son as a co-pilot (school vacation.) We can do a long weekend (my last trip was just over 60 hours), maybe take 5 days and not do the same roads twice (ie, return another way), actually CAMP (there's a novel idea), or, I'm open.

This place should be outrageous this time of year. The road is plowed and maintained, but I would imagine there would be 6-8 feet of snow to drive through.

I was giving serious thought to the ALCAN 5000 this winter but work prevented that. This idea really excites me.

If you are remotely interested, that's ok, you are normal. :) Here are a few sites.
http://jamesbayroad.com/


and this one is a commercial site
http://www.ecoadventures.ca/winter_activities/index_e.asp?CaId=42&PgId=230

and this one is a group of nuts, err, students:
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~ddye/road_to_albany.htm


There is another site showing a winter break road trip, but I can't find it now.

Anyone interested?
DUCTTAPE
 

·
Welcome back...
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
I want in, I want in, I want in....

Winslow
:eb:


DUCTTAPE said:
Driving home from work this evening I had a fresh idea...driving in NY/NJ during rush hour sucks. Not very challenging, hot, humid, too much traffic and, horror of horrors, I have been passing MINIs lately that don't wave! (Can you imagine that?)

So I thought, what better way to remedy this then another ROAD TRIP

And by far, one of the best road trips I've taken was the Hudson Bay or Bust trip in October of 2002.
http://www.davidrose.us/DavidWebPage/MINICooperS/HudsonsBay/JamesBayTrip.html

That was the fall. It was very colorful, and just a tad cold. Now, I am thinking FEBRUARY, 2004.

Anyone want to come along? As of yet (4 hours into this plan) the details are, eh, sketchy. I thought Feb so I can bring my son as a co-pilot (school vacation.) We can do a long weekend (my last trip was just over 60 hours), maybe take 5 days and not do the same roads twice (ie, return another way), actually CAMP (there's a novel idea), or, I'm open.

This place should be outrageous this time of year. The road is plowed and maintained, but I would imagine there would be 6-8 feet of snow to drive through.

I was giving serious thought to the ALCAN 5000 this winter but work prevented that. This idea really excites me.

If you are remotely interested, that's ok, you are normal. :) Here are a few sites.
http://jamesbayroad.com/


and this one is a commercial site
http://www.ecoadventures.ca/winter_activities/index_e.asp?CaId=42&PgId=230

and this one is a group of nuts, err, students:
http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~ddye/road_to_albany.htm


There is another site showing a winter break road trip, but I can't find it now.

Anyone interested?
DUCTTAPE
 

·
Only Unbalanced
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LordWinslow said:
I want in, I want in, I want in....

Winslow
:eb:
Seriously? You da man!

Now I know that isn't a commitment that's firm, but if even several of us thought it doable, well, CodFather, watch out! This could be the next big East Coast event!

Anyone else interested, even in passing?

I've emailed the town up there for more information. So, step up to the plate. Let's get a MINI caravan

And oh, I forgot, when there is no snow, there is, for all intents and purposes, NO SPEED LIMIT! The police radios don't work, so they don't go there. 650 km of full throttle. Just watch the frost heaves. They will send you airtborne.

DUCTTAPE
 

·
Welcome back...
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
DUCTTAPE said:
Seriously? You da man!

Now I know that isn't a commitment that's firm, but if even several of us thought it doable, well, CodFather, watch out! This could be the next big East Coast event!

Anyone else interested, even in passing?

I've emailed the town up there for more information. So, step up to the plate. Let's get a MINI caravan

And oh, I forgot, when there is no snow, there is, for all intents and purposes, NO SPEED LIMIT! The police radios don't work, so they don't go there. 650 km of full throttle. Just watch the frost heaves. They will send you airtborne.

DUCTTAPE
We can call it, Run to the Bay.

Yeah but you got to take into account that the Mini has got about a 600Km with +/-50Km range. So at speed we eat up more gas, also in the summer, the bugs are horible. We may have to have support vehicles with us with Gas Cans just in case. Also at those gas stations expect to pay a good amount, and at some places credit cards might not be taken. This is something that is do able, but got to be planned.

Winslow
:eb:
 

·
Only Unbalanced
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LordWinslow said:
We can call it, Run to the Bay.

Yeah but you got to take into account that the Mini has got about a 600Km with +/-50Km range. So at speed we eat up more gas, also in the summer, the bugs are horible. We may have to have support vehicles with us with Gas Cans just in case. Also at those gas stations expect to pay a good amount, and at some places credit cards might not be taken. This is something that is do able, but got to be planned.

Winslow
:eb:
K, I sense more then a passing interest here :)

a) it is VERY doable. See my site for my last trip.
b) there is civilation all the way to Matagami, and a little past that actually. We showed up after midnight and still filled the tank.



In fact, for those interested, you pass thru Quebec's gold mining region, as well as the ski areas. Gas all the way.
c) half way up the James Bay Rd is civilation. Food, gas, Cree Indians:



A company gas, I think truckers lodging, and a restaurant, etc. There is gas at the other end too. This is the top of the road:



It's in the middle that there is naught.I recall the gas not being overly more expensive. Company town, so they zing the works a bit, but they don;t screw them.
d) good old American coin of the realm is taken everywhere. Oh, and cash too.

David

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I would do this road trip, but not in February. You guys may like snow and exteme cold, but remember the Donner Party and those dudes in the Andes. Choose a more reasonable time of the year and I could be in! How about this fall or maybe an MOT2005 warm-up? If you do go in February, have fun!

Paul
 

·
QQJ's Social Secretary
Joined
·
9,458 Posts
minimidtown said:
I would do this road trip, but not in February. You guys may like snow and exteme cold, but remember the Donner Party and those dudes in the Andes. Choose a more reasonable time of the year and I could be in! How about this fall or maybe an MOT2005 warm-up? If you do go in February, have fun!

Paul
Come on, Paul, where's your sense of adventure?

I'd love to do it, but getting 3 consecutive days off work for me is almost impossible.

Where's Blake? This could be a warm-up for his AlCan highway run.
 

·
Only Unbalanced
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coupla thoughts...

1) this is a relatively VERY traveled road. There is only one way to get to the power plants, and that is this road. In fact, when I got to the mid way stop, I was very surprised at how many people where there. So, it's not like we would drive off the road and 10 days later eat each other...

2) I REALLY wanted to do ALCAN. Timing at work prevented it but I am still, to this day, upset at missing the winter run.

I was thinking of starting Friday, and maybe wrapping things up Monday of Presidents week. That would be one day off from work for those who had a time contraint. Two if it ran late and we got home Tuesday. Again, EVERYTHING is tentative since so far it's just me!

Paul, I do have to tell you that winter should be totally different than non-snow driving there. Driving on dry road was a blast as it is basically speed-limitless, and the occassion frost heave ads a touch of excitement you just don't get down here in the states

The trip will be an event you will remember all your life.

Thinks about changing your mind. People (a lot of them) live up there. It's not like we'd be blazing the trail to Thule!

DUCTTAPE
 

·
Welcome back...
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
minimidtown said:
I would do this road trip, but not in February. You guys may like snow and exteme cold, but remember the Donner Party and those dudes in the Andes. Choose a more reasonable time of the year and I could be in! How about this fall or maybe an MOT2005 warm-up? If you do go in February, have fun!

Paul
Feb is good as Winter is winding down, and it is before Mud and Bug season. Also, lets keep this away from MOT, as that is a separate Beast. As this is not something we can have 100+ cars to do. This is for a few nuts who don't know any better to go out an have a good time and put a few thousand miles on their Minis in the span of a couple days in the Canadian Wilds at the end of Winter.

Winslow
:eb:
 

·
Welcome back...
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
rfinprc said:
Winter is barely winding down in Cambridge during February vacation week, so I'd guess that on the road to Hudson Bay it would still be going strong.
You would be surprised to find that sometimes we get more snow than they do up there. Has to do with the Jet Stream and what it brings to us. The one thing to really expect is COLD COLD COLD weather. Being 1000 Miles closer to the Artic Circle makes things just that much colder (Remembers subzero temps on our scale in Edmonton, AB, Canada in December) We will need to be prepaired for below zero temps and high wind chills. Not going to saying that is going to happen but if your prepaired for it the better things will go. And even if a snow storm blows in this road has to be open so there will be plow trucks out there.

Winslow
:eb:
 

·
wherever you go...
Joined
·
1,617 Posts
Cold is good. We used to vacation in Feb. in northern Maine, up on the Golden Road north of Greenville. Typical mornings were 10-20 below, which made for a brisk walk to the outhouse by the cabins (really).
 

·
Welcome back...
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
rfinprc said:
Cold is good. We used to vacation in Feb. in northern Maine, up on the Golden Road north of Greenville. Typical mornings were 10-20 below, which made for a brisk walk to the outhouse by the cabins (really).
Now less trees, flatten land, and add wind, and your image should be complete. But that is why you get the heated seats in the Mini for.

Winslow
:eb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
rfinprc said:
Winter is barely winding down in Cambridge during February vacation week, so I'd guess that on the road to Hudson Bay it would still be going strong.



My concern, exactly. I don't own snow tires, parka, appropriate boots - nothing for winter, let alone an Arctic Circle winter. As much as I'd like to join ya'll, I'll probably need to defer to a slightly warmer season. Yeah, I know....wusss :D
Paul
 

·
QQJ's Social Secretary
Joined
·
9,458 Posts
minimidtown said:
My concern, exactly. I don't own snow tires, parka, appropriate boots - nothing for winter, let alone an Arctic Circle winter. As much as I'd like to join ya'll, I'll probably need to defer to a slightly warmer season. Yeah, I know....wusss :D
Paul
I just sent Blake an email. Yep, somebody would have to lend y'all some snow tires. I'm not sure the parka is absolutely necessary, since the layers of Goretex & fleece work just as well. Gloves, & some kind of boots you'd need to bring, at least to have in the car.

Snowshoes are optional.
 

·
Only Unbalanced
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yellowmininy said:
I'm not sure the parka is absolutely necessary, since the layers of Goretex & fleece work just as well. Gloves, & some kind of boots you'd need to bring, at least to have in the car.
Correctomente! The proper way to dress is in layers, especially if you will be spending days in the car.

Snow tires would be a problem. I will probably drop the extra bucks and get chains for my snows, and I imagine they would work as well on all weather tires.

However, I wouldn't chance the run flats up that a way because if they DO blow, MINI road service is days away :)

I can lend you an overcoat...
 

·
Welcome back...
Joined
·
1,435 Posts
DUCTTAPE said:
Correctomente! The proper way to dress is in layers, especially if you will be spending days in the car.

Snow tires would be a problem. I will probably drop the extra bucks and get chains for my snows, and I imagine they would work as well on all weather tires.

However, I wouldn't chance the run flats up that a way because if they DO blow, MINI road service is days away :)

I can lend you an overcoat...
Yeah I am thinking of replacing my Dunlop M3 Winter Sports with M2 Winter Sports (non-runflat version) on my 16" rims. I am also thinking of getting another rim as well with a spare tire just in case. I would recommend as well as good winter outfit. http://www.llbean.com will give you a good start on your winter wear. Super Quality and very good warrenty on their goods.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cold, after this past winter of subzero days here in the northeast, my car started with no issues. I would however make sure you running the latest firmware for your car (currently 38.x) as it fixes the cold start stumble and stalling.

Winslow
:eb:
 
1 - 20 of 1575 Posts
About this Discussion
1.6K Replies
56 Participants
jacobsen1
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing
Top