MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you all think the huge moonroof is worth it. I think it would be nice to have but then again I could save some money by not getting this option. What are your thoughts for those that do have it and those that chose not to get it. Thanks. Tom

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the sunroom on my 02 MC and can't imaging living without it. For me it really opens up the interior of the car - especially if you will be having people in the back seat on a regular basis. I have it open almost every day (except for rainy or really cold winter days). IMHO, the only thing better than the sunroof is a convertible :) ;)

·
BEP Owner
189 Posts
I've got the sunroof and i'm very glad i got it. After my last car had climate control i said i've never have another sunroof - wouldn't need it, sun beats down hot on your head etc etc etc... but this is more than a sunroof - its like indimini says it opens up the inside of the car... suggest you sit in one with, and one with out - even better test drive both - that'll help you decide (and its a good excuse for another test drive ;-) )

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
I didn't get the sunroof, and I have no regrets. I'm sure it would have made the cabin brighter, but the current amount of light is plenty. Also, I've heard people complain that even when closed it lets too much light in. I didn't get it due to performance reasons(although it's really minor). The fact is that it adds a lot of weight to the highest point on the car thereby decreasing the handling capability. Again, this is a real minor concern for many, but it was the deciding factor for me. ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
it seems to me that this question gets asked a lot and the general consensus seems to be:

if you got it, you don't regret it

if you don't, you don't regret it

so if you are a person who enjoys having open air in the car and the money then it's worth it. I don't have my car yet, but I did spec it. I have to say that sitting here thinking about it I regret it simply because of the price, but when I get the actual car I might think that I can't live without it. My sister's car, the one i drive around right now, has it and i have to say that I always open it. It's nice because if it's a little cold to open the windows, you can still get air in the car by opening the roof.

·
road trip time
429 Posts
I think there are 3 types of people:

hard top ..... sunroof .... convertible.

I'm a sunroof type... no regrets

I got the sunroof and love it. My kids think I'm the greatest for getting them their own mini sunroof in the back (just a little white lie). :D

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
Never had one, can't afford the convertable...

lotustt said:
Do you all think the huge moonroof is worth it. I think it would be nice to have but then again I could save some money by not getting this option. What are your thoughts for those that do have it and those that chose not to get it. Thanks. Tom
so I feel this is the next best thing. Here in Maine we don't get a very long or very warm summer so I want to soak up as much warmth and brightness as possible. I don't have it yet, but it's only a matter of days now. :) :red:

·
kgouin
481 Posts
I didn't get the sunroof because I liked the look of the top being completely white. I think if I get a darker colored MINI next I might get it. I have never had a sunroof so it doesn't bother me to not have one. I have had convertibles in the past and I wouldn't get another one because my hair kept flying in my face even when I pulled it back! I do like the look of the new convertible though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
feverdiva21 said:
... and you can always get decals for the sunroof ;-)
But if you add a decal for the sunroof does it block a good percentage of the light coming in (when closed) and if so, that would always be the case for the rear portion of the sunroof? Am I missing something here, or are there different types of roof decal that will allow light into the car.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
there are different graphics for sunroof, that let a high percentage of light in, but they don't last like the regular ones and the colours are not as strong;)

I love not having the sun roof, had them on previous cars, but this time I had other plans for my roof:D

·
road trip time
429 Posts
feverdiva21 said:
... and you can always get decals for the sunroof ;-)
you mean I could have saved $1200 and been just as happy??? AAAHHH!! ;) :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks for all the responses everyone, much appreciated! Does the sunroof really add a significant amount of weight or is it marginal? Maybe it doesnt really matter but just checking as well. Thanks again... Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sunroof love

My favorite car had a sunroof and I used it all the time. I promised myself that the next time I get a car I would make sure it had one. I didn't and have regretted it for the last 4 years. I ordered my MINI and made sure I always factored in the price with the sunroof. I test drove a MINI without the roof and was not as comfortable. I live in a part of the country were we get light for just a few months a year. So here, well worth it! :green:

·
Registered
188 Posts
i personally feel that it does add a lot of openess to the car. The one thing I love most though is the improved circulation of the air within the car. When you're driving with the sunroof and windows open everything just flows nicely and when you take a breath it just feels much nicer. Anyways, 800$ is a bit expensive but it is a pretty dang big sunroof. Anyways, should be getting my MINI is about 2 weeks, so if you're still deciding then, i'll tell you what it's like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts