MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts here and at the miniusa.com owner's lounge about people driving through water (and swearing it was only a few inches deep) and subsequently hydrolocking their engines. I was driving home from work during a downpour the other day (in my old car....haven't received my new Cooper yet), and I wondered if I would have a problem driivng my new MINI through some of the puddles that had formed in poor drainage areas. So, I asked my MA yesterday and he said that driving through 6" of water used to be a potential problem in MINI's, but that for the '05's it's no longer an issue. I should have asked him to elaborate but I didn't. So, does anyone know why this is a non issue with the 05's? Was there some type of modification on the air intake? I'm just concerned about driving through puddles that form during heavy rains. I have never and would never drive through a flooded area. Thank you for your assistance!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can't see how some people have hydrolocked the MINI's engine. The intake is all the way up top and has a large drain for water if any gets in. There are people running Alta intakes (which draw air from the cowl) and HAI's (K&N filter directly on throttle body) with no problems. The only real problem you could get into is the power steering fan which draws from under the car. In early models, there was no shield for debres so many people have had cooling system fuses blown. It was fixed in later models but I'm not sure that's what your dealer was talking about in 6" of water :confused: . I've driven our MINI in Florida downpours with no problems.

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
i am wondering this as well, can someone answer with actually technical expertise on the air intake in the 2005 mini cooper (not s). is the air intake positioned alittle higher now so there is no way to hydrolock the engine???????

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flav said:
i am wondering this as well, can someone answer with actually technical expertise on the air intake in the 2005 mini cooper (not s). is the air intake positioned alittle higher now so there is no way to hydrolock the engine???????

I started the same thread as this one on the Roadfly Message board and received a response from someone who said that nothing has been changed on the 2005 engine. So, I don't know why my MA told me that the potential engine problems from driving through 6" of water with the 2005's is a non issue. I'm guessing maybe to keep me from pushing the issue? Anyway, I've seen pics here of MINI's splashing through water and they didn't have any problems so maybe when hydrolock did occur to the people whose posts I read, it was a flukish thing? Some people stated that the water was somewhat deep, others swore the water wasn't deep at all. But seeing those pictures at this forum of all the splashing has helped put my mind at ease.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
On the MCS there is an opening to the cowl vent area so it would be virtually impossible to hydrolock an'S.

I have never seen any documented proof that any MINI has actually suffered hydrolock. I have always believed that the reports are erroneous.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bilbo Baggins said:
On the MCS there is an opening to the cowl vent area so it would be virtually impossible to hydrolock an'S.

I have never seen any documented proof that any MINI has actually suffered hydrolock. I have always believed that the reports are erroneous.
Do you know if the MC (not the 'S') has that as well? From what I've read, the problem was moreso with the MC than with the 'S'.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Rennie said:
Do you know if the MC (not the 'S') has that as well? From what I've read, the problem was moreso with the MC than with the 'S'.
Sorry, I do not know if the MC has the opening.

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
Rennie said:
I drove my MC through this with no ill effects.
The water depth varied between 6 inches and 14 inches and the road was flooded for more than 1 Kilometre.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike Clarke said:
The water depth varied between 6 inches and 14 inches and the road was flooded for more than 1 Kilometre.
Whoa! That's some puddle! Thank you for the information. Perhaps I'm worrying needlessly.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Mike Clarke said:
OMG! WOW thats a lot of water... your MINI didnt even sputter one bit? :eek:

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Mike Clarke said:
:eek: That is some water obstacle, I'd been :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: :bad: myself if I had to go
through that. As an aside any car can suffer from hydrolocking, my friend has a Puma
that needed a new engine yet the water she hit wasn't that deep and she wasn't speeding.
I don't see anything short of a Landie giving me complete confidence in water.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Every (and there's been more then a couple) engine that has died water has been on an MC that I know of.

Many salespeople will say anything they can get away with to get you to buy a car. I wouldn't trust much of anything they say, unless they have firm facts to back it up, maybe he does, so you should ask for elaboration next time you talk to him.

I do know the intake changed a bit on the MCS for 2005, mostly because some have cracked and caused problems. No idea if anything changed on the MC.

I'd still worry about anything deeper then 6" Generally though a puddle isn't going to be more then 6" in anywhere with reasonable drainage, so for most people it shouldn't be a worry.

You would think for a car that had a huge input from rover it wouldn't be so prone to a bit of water trouble...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my MIC is currently awaiting transport, so even if my MA told me that water is still an issue, there's not much I could do about it. But I'm really not that worried. I've never driven through anything considered "high water" or a "flood"; my concern was puddles forming in low drainage areas during heavy rains. Sometimes when you come upon a puddle when it's dark especially, you just don't have time to slow down to a walking speed when you're going 35MPH, and, actually, I haven't seen many people who do slow down that much for puddles. But even a puddle can splash when you'e driving at a good speed. Well, I will ask my MA to elaborate when I see him just to hear what he has to say.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
I have seen more than one hydrolocked MINI at my local dealership - I think it is always the MC, not the MCS.
Driving through a 1"-2" puddle with some water splashing should be a non-issue.
The problem occurs if you drive through water deep enough to submerge the air inlet, so that the engine can only suck water and fills the pistons. At that point, BANG!

I would never have risked the water Mike Clarke describes, in a MINI or any other car (real Land Rovers can ignore this advice).

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
GBMINI said:
I would never have risked the water Mike Clarke describes, in a MINI or any other car (real Land Rovers can ignore this advice).
Or an original Hummer :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GBMINI said:
I have seen more than one hydrolocked MINI at my local dealership - I think it is always the MC, not the MCS.
Driving through a 1"-2" puddle with some water splashing should be a non-issue.
The problem occurs if you drive through water deep enough to submerge the air inlet, so that the engine can only suck water and fills the pistons. At that point, BANG!

Can anyone explain the difference between the MC and the MCS as to why the problem has only (or mainly) been experienced with the MC? I don't understand why MINI can't do whatever they're currently doing on the MCS to the MC to minimize the risk of hydrolock.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Rennie said:
Can anyone explain the difference between the MC and the MCS as to why the problem has only (or mainly) been experienced with the MC? I don't understand why MINI can't do whatever they're currently doing on the MCS to the MC to minimize the risk of hydrolock.
Presumably it is simply the location where the air is initially sucked into the engine - the MCS has a different air filter design and a different air flow path too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, GBMINI. I have to stop obsessing over this. Maybe I'll go into the kitchen and obsess over a piece of cheesecake.......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts