MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm obsessing again and not about cheesecake :(

I just drove home from work in terrible weather. It was dark with periods of torrential rains. I went through a lot of puddles, not deep, but at a good rate of speed (35mph) and there was a lot of splash. I'm still in my old car (haven't gotten my new MC yet....few more weeks :D ), but I was thinking if these driving conditions are what I would have to be concerned about if I had been driving my MC. One road was closed off due to flooding so I turned a corner there, but there was flowing water (again, not deep) that splashed and again I wondered. 'what if I was in the MINI?' Please tell me I'm being needlessly obsessive. I promise I won't be mad ;)

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Rennie said:
Please tell me I'm being needlessly obsessive. I promise I won't be mad ;)
Can't ... sorry :eek:

I drove an MC for 9 months and never worried about water. Now I drive an MCS; I hit 2"-3" puddles with no cares but I would not want to hit a really deep puddle.

I recommend you discuss this with the MINI techs at your dealership - have they seen any hydro-locked cars? In my experience, the techs are the best informed about MINI issues and can therefore give you the best guidance as to what your puddles represent ...

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
There is a rude term that describes people who are silly enough to hydrolock a car. I will not use it.
Like it has been described, hydrolocking occurs when the engine injests water where it really should take in air. Water, by its nature does not compress.....ergo a piston traelling full speed up and finding water will come to a sudden and devastating stop (devastating for the piston, the rod, the crank and the block (which will find itself being useful as a boat anchor).
In order to avoid making an engine ingest water, some common sense needs to be applied.......like, don't run full tilt into a large puddle whose depth you do not know...... :rolleyes:

Obsessing over cheese cake is a more fruitful undertaking :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Has anyone tried getting a hydrolocked MINI going again? Years ago, I hydrolocked a car in water about 12" deep. It wasn't up to the bottom of the doors.

I was going very slowly, 1st gear and it stopped suddenly. It wouldn't turn on the starter. I got it towed out, took out the spark plugs and operated the starter. Jets of water about 15ft long came out of the spark plug holes. When that stopped, I put the spark plug back and the car started. I ran it long enough to get the engine hot to boil off any water and there were no ill effects.

Was I very lucky? Would I have had the piston rings rust up if I had left it longer before starting the engine?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Malin Dixon said:
Has anyone tried getting a hydrolocked MINI going again? Years ago, I hydrolocked a car in water about 12" deep. It wasn't up to the bottom of the doors.

I was going very slowly, 1st gear and it stopped suddenly. It wouldn't turn on the starter. I got it towed out, took out the spark plugs and operated the starter. Jets of water about 15ft long came out of the spark plug holes. When that stopped, I put the spark plug back and the car started. I ran it long enough to get the engine hot to boil off any water and there were no ill effects.

Was I very lucky? Would I have had the piston rings rust up if I had left it longer before starting the engine?
Wow lucky! usually you'll crack or break somthing...

·
Peoples Republic Of Cork
1,150 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
Wow lucky! usually you'll crack or break somthing...
I have seen 3 different cars with serious damage due to water ingression , ALL had rods through Block and needed new engines ,so the clever thing to do is take no risks with water ,I agree intake is high up on the car but I feel it may be the water ' flow ' to the intake at certain speed is the problem .
Gerard

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've read a few posts here and at the miniusa.com owner's lounge about people driving through water (and swearing it was only a few inches deep) and subsequently hydrolocking their engines. I was driving home from work during a downpour the other day (in my old car....haven't received my new Cooper yet), and I wondered if I would have a problem driivng my new MINI through some of the puddles that had formed in poor drainage areas. So, I asked my MA yesterday and he said that driving through 6" of water used to be a potential problem in MINI's, but that for the '05's it's no longer an issue. I should have asked him to elaborate but I didn't. So, does anyone know why this is a non issue with the 05's? Was there some type of modification on the air intake? I'm just concerned about driving through puddles that form during heavy rains. I have never and would never drive through a flooded area. Thank you for your assistance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've read a few posts here and at the miniusa.com owner's lounge about people driving through water (and swearing it was only a few inches deep) and subsequently hydrolocking their engines. I was driving home from work during a downpour the other day (in my old car....haven't received my new Cooper yet), and I wondered if I would have a problem driivng my new MINI through some of the puddles that had formed in poor drainage areas. So, I asked my MA yesterday and he said that driving through 6" of water used to be a potential problem in MINI's, but that for the '05's it's no longer an issue. I should have asked him to elaborate but I didn't. So, does anyone know why this is a non issue with the 05's? Was there some type of modification on the air intake? I'm just concerned about driving through puddles that form during heavy rains. I have never and would never drive through a flooded area. Thank you for your assistance!
Can SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! Tonight there has been very heavy rainfall in Sheffield. I am in Hathersage and drove down the road in a 2017 Mini Cooper into water which was much deeper than anticipated. The car stopped, We managed to push it out to a well drained area.I did try to start it but it refused. So I have left it overnight to "dry out"

And then Iearn about hydrolocking and mini cooper susceptibility. Is hydrolocking still a problem with 2017 models? Should I attempt to turn the engine over tomorrow morning? PLEASE ADVISE!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I did try to start it but it refused.
Did it turn over but refuse to start? If so you should be ok. If it didn't turn and just made a clicking sound then yes your worst fears have come true. I suspect that people who have suffered the engine seizing have hit the water hard AND the intake path has a fault (opening) as the intake initial entry is high behind the grill above the radiator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did it turn over but refuse to start? If so you should be ok. If it didn't turn and just made a clicking sound then yes your worst fears have come true. I suspect that people who have suffered the engine seizing have hit the water hard AND the intake path has a fault (opening) as the intake initial entry is high behind the grill above the radiator.
t
Thanks for that advice. It turned over the following day. I drove it gently for a while as clouds of white smoke came out of the back, whenever I raised the revs to 3000 rpm. However I kept gently pushing it back up and eventually the white smoke (no new Pope!) subsided and she is now running perfectly well. Thank you for your help.
Youts sincerely,
John Townend

21 - 32 of 32 Posts