MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dam silly question but I’m filling up my Mini for the first time and thought I’d put V-Power in it.

I know it has this Knock control but what if the Fuel is mixed? I have know idea what grade is in it but I’m down to my last few light on the gauge so there is only a few gallons if that left…

So it should be ok on the V-power?

I plan to only use shell petrol with V-power every forth time to run the additives through the car to keep it clean so the car may have two grades in the tank so how it mixes and how the car response is anyone’s guess…

Anyone got an idea how this all works out?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
V-Power just has a higher Octane Rating (RON) to regular unleaded, and Shell say it has a few more additives to keep things clean. It will mix fine with other fuel in your tank, but any other fuel will just dilute the Shell. :)

Try also the Tesco 99 fuel (if available near you) - I actually prefer it to the V-Power...... not wanting to dredge up that old argument though ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I always used V-Power in both my previous cars - a Jaguar and a Honda - and was satisfied that both ran better. But I'm not sure the economy gains outweigh the extra cost; but I'm more interested in performance so I didn't care!

(Shell don't do a 55 Cetane diesel fuel so my Clubman D always has BP Ultimate Diesel - for similar reasons.)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I have found that in both Cooper and S forms the MINI runs far better on 97 or greater octane fuels. The S especially runs like a bag of nails on 95 (regular octane unleaded). I'd advise using only 'super' unleaded 97 or greater, but when you can afford it slip some V power or even BP ultimate race 103 in the car.

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Don't know if you knew but shell have recently introduced a V-Power Diesel, that is supposed to have a similar centane rating to BP Ultimate Diesel. Uses some crazy "Unique synthetic gas-to-liquid (GTL) fuel technology"!!

This is where its available: http://www-static.shell.com/static/gbr/downloads/shell_for_motorists/svpd_sitelist_webformat.pdf
I checked all the specs when I got my D and seem to remember that Ultimate has a higher guaranteed Cetane number than Shell V-Power Diesel or Total Excellium. But I haven't re-checked recently as the car runs so well on the BP that I would be reluctant to change.

·
mini fiddler
85 Posts
I Believe shell V-Power is now 99 octane and therefore equivalent to Tesco super except the price.
Personally have never found higher octanes fuel any more efficient than 95, but this is almost certainaly due to the negine being much more responsive and the right foot having more fun :p

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Normal ESSO/BP/Supermarket/Shell/TEXACO etc unleaded is 95 octane
Most of these firms ESSO/BP/Supermarkets do a "super" unleaded which tends to be 97 octane
Shell do not do a "super" unleaded, but they opted to go to the next level and do a 100 octane fuel called V-Power (previously they did a 98-99 octane fuel called Optimax)
Tesco also do an Ultimate type fuel of 99 octane, however this is only available in the south of the country i believe and it is only at selected Tesco fuel stations.
There are also 2 companies selling "race" fuels, I beleive these are Shell and BP with 102 and 103 octane fuels ... Only available at selected staions next to the big track day tracks in the UK

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Questionable, Shell say it has better/more preservatives and adatives in it for engine cleaning and improving extended performance. However theres a lot of folks using 99 tescos and finding it just as good if not slightly better performance wise (although in terms of additives we don't know). V power wins for me as I can get this at any shell garage in the country .... whereas Tesco only do 99 super in selected southern stores.... the rest of the country including midlands have to make do with tesco 97 super.

·
heavy foot = light wallet
453 Posts
im a chosen one then, the local tesco near my house and the one near work both do it :D

fair enough i will carry on with my 99 ways. out of interest have you ever found or run the 103-105 fuels

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tesco 99 is made by Greenenergy and has similar additives in it to Shell Vpower - in tests Tesco 99 has been found to have an octane rating of at least 99 and more often higher. In some tests it was 100+. Vpower is good too and is also rated now at 99. Shell V power seems to go off quicker than Tesco 99 probably due to the volatility of the additives to boost the octane.
On a perfomance basis Tesco 99 is very slightly better than Shell V Power.
In order to get the benefits from these higher octane rated fuels you need to run one or more tanks through the car before the ECU adjusts to the new fuel and maximises the benefits.

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
Ive always used Tesco 99 in my car since new, lucky as im in the south.. Find it gives better exhaust note after the ECU re sets to the fuel type., compared to my previous S which i ran on normal unleaded..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dam :rolleyes:does it take a few tank full’s to re-set the CPU? I just put 34 Ltr in at a cost of £40 at £1.17 a Ltr up here in Glasgow. The regular is only £1.10 and I tend to drop back to that, I just wanted to flush the engine with the V. I’m not really interested in performance gains more giving the engine a clean out as it’s a Dec 2007 build and its only done 1400 miles when I got it, so it was sitting not driving for periods of time and when it did it was not driven ever very far by the looks of it.

CPU is going to chuck a wobbly if I dive between the two. In that case it’s a treat I might give the car if I’m going for a run in it or a tank full every other month.

·
Registered
51 Posts
to be honest when i had the rallye i always tried to put super in if possible, more often than not it was total exellium.
iv never realy noticed a difference in performance but i gathered its better for the engine so always used it.
the cooper it looks like i will be getting is a 54 plate with 30k on the clock, so i will always put super in it no matter what.
but theres no tesco 99 neer me as im in the midlands,
the neerest shell is 10 miles away also.
i expect all the coopers here feel well treated as the engines are from the chrystler neon and american fuel is a realy low octane (89) and most american engines gain 10bhp when they are put on uk octane fuel :)

·
MINI2 Veteran
701 Posts
Hmmmm, iim stil not convinced it makes a difference lol.

Something I will say tho,ever since tesco dropped their prices in line with asda and morrisons, im getting 5mpg less than I used to.

Hmmmmm, what are they up to?

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
From my experience if your planning to change your car in 2-3 yrs time I'd personally just be using the normal Supermarket petrol, unless its an S, then really you should be using 99 or Vpower for 2 reasons...1. The fab burble from the back :D and 2. not running like a bag of bones.
When I had my Cooper I used 99 or Optimax as it was back then, when I knew I was getting rid I put in normal petrol and to be honest, there was no difference.

Unless your running a high powered car mapped specifically for a certain grade ie VPower, I wouldn't fret to much over it. Just my 2 pence worth.
It does annoy me when I see high powered cars being filled up with the cheap stuff, I know fuel is expensive but if you can't afford to put in the good stuff you can't afford to run the car properly anyway, its like putting cheap remould tyres on, you just wouldn't do it, would you..?! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts