MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always thought that the MINI was fantastic even when I had faults with it.
But when you read some or most of the threads here you start to think perhaps I should just get my gun and put the poor MINI out of its misery.
BUT if I did not have internet I would not have heard of all of the problems that other people have had.
So I blame the Internet.
All cars have faults without exception so don't slate the MINI too much It's a fantastic car and I would not be without it.
Even today the old classic mini has had a recall for wheel bearings.And thats bean around a while:rolleyes:
so we are not alone.

LETS BE MORE POSITIVE
happy new year

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
These sorts of things happen with all new cars. In hindsight the best thing to do would have been to wait at least a year or two before buying the car. That way all the niggely faults with the car, would have been sorted.

Most cars get away with it, but due to the Mini being an enthusiast’s car, sites like this one publicise the problems.

However, there is one thing you can't excuse and that is poor customer service. And on this front BMW are guilty as charged.

LMB:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
zoooooom said:
I have always thought that the MINI was fantastic even when I had faults with it.
But when you read some or most of the threads here you start to think perhaps I should just get my gun and put the poor MINI out of its misery.
BUT if I did not have internet I would not have heard of all of the problems that other people have had.
So I blame the Internet.
All cars have faults without exception so don't slate the MINI too much It's a fantastic car and I would not be without it.
Even today the old classic mini has had a recall for wheel bearings.And thats bean around a while:rolleyes:
so we are not alone.

LETS BE MORE POSITIVE
happy new year
I couldn't agree more, but let's not forget that without sites like this one a lot of members who've been forced back to the dealers with their cars would have had a much harder time in being taken seriously about various niggles.

Sometimes I think there should be a ban on anyone posting negative threads if they don't actually OWN a MINI (hint hint Mr. Bill..;))

Everytime I pick up a loan car from the dealers it just goes to show by comparison what a stunning little car the MINI is..:)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well said

for anyone who thinks the boot is small.Go look at a LUPO

I had a lone of one and had to put the contents of my MINI boot on the back seat.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Dogger,

Did you change the colour of the writing in my post from Red to Blue..hummm

I definitely remember using red, then when I came back it was blue. You are the only moderator who has replied to this thread.

If you are not guilty I apologise, but if you are..

:eek: Hands off my posts thank you very much

LMB:p

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
LMB said:
Dogger,

Did you change the colour of the writing in my post from Red to Blue..hummm

I definitely remember using red, then when I came back it was blue. You are the only moderator who has replied to this thread.

If you are not guilty I apologise, but if you are..

:eek: Hands off my posts thank you very much

LMB:p
Not guilty M'lud :)...it was Blue the 1st time I viewed this thread..(maybe the cold made it go blue?..;)

Isn't there normally a tag line that reads 'last edited by XXXX..' once a posting has been changed so you can keep track of these things?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry, but all cars don't have problems. Some may have a few, that's to be expected, but the MINI seems to have far more than it should have. Worse yet, they have been present from day one and are still popping up on the recent build cars. If it wasn't for MINI2, BMW would have kept the lid on them. Do you honestly think they would have gone to the expense of redesigning the front suspension had there not been a load of complaints about the pulling left? Some dealers are still trying to deny it is a problem. If you were driving along and the windows went up and down by themselves, you might think it was just a problem with YOUR car, but thanks to the Internet, you know it is happening to a lot of them. Problems ruin the driving experience. Sticking your head in the sand, wearing rose-colored glasses or pretending they don't exist is not going to get them fixed.

We have some friends who always buy major appliances from a large chain store because "they have such wonderful service." They have been through five washing machines since we've known them. We have a Maytag we got 25 years ago. It has never been serviced. In all that time, the only problem was a hot water inlet hose I replaced because the minerals in the water clogged the screen. If you buy a well made product, it won't require "wonderful service." If something that is brand new had to be fixed over and over again to make it right, then it is not what I would consider "well made." BMW should be able to do better.

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
zoooooom said:
So I blame the Internet.
so we are not alone.

LETS BE MORE POSITIVE
happy new year

I'm with you zoooooom. Have you noticed that most of the posts on the faults and fixes forum are by people who don't even own one yet :confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Message for ZOOM

ZOOM,

Did you buy your mini from John Clark in Aberdeen? If so how have you found them to be ?

My wife has just reserved one from their showroom and I'm getting it on Thursday.

Steve

·
can i go home yet
2,568 Posts
hired a mini for the Xmas holidays mrBill, put over 650miles in 5 days, was great fun and didnt notice any of the many problems described apart from...

.it got filthy
. it ran out of windscreen washer

having said that I was blasting about on m ways and a roads in the countryside

Mind you now I have tried one with no major problems its going to make that wait even longer...

..keeep the faith

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr Bill you started by saying that not all cars have problems then you said some may have a few
I was a Toyota driver for years I even rallied one and i was a Toyota mechanic.
Being a Toyota mechanic is the most boring job in the world cos they are so damned reliable but i can assure you that even they had some faults.

Mr Bill what car do you drive at the moment and why do you want to change it?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Message for ZOOM

gonnabuyone? said:
ZOOM,

Did you buy your mini from John Clark in Aberdeen? If so how have you found them to be ?

My wife has just reserved one from their showroom and I'm getting it on Thursday.

Steve
are you gonna change your name to Gonanboughtone?

Yes I bought it from JC in Aberdeen
I was one of the first in Aberdeen to buy one and as you will have read had some problems and at the time nobody at JC new much about them and I was quite frustrated at them at times.But they have sold loads now and have been very helpful.Matt and Vicky are enthusiastic and even put customers my way so that cant be bad.
so if you need a stereo in your new MINI give me a call

I will also have some cool MINI add on's soon

Mobile 07785 760605

·
Registered
546 Posts
Not so fast Mr Bill - Fault-free December Build

mr.bill said:
Worse yet, they have been present from day one and are still popping up on the recent build cars.
So far, no faults, niggles, rattles, electronics glitches... just a brilliant drive and loads of envious looks. Best car I've owned by some margin and well worth waiting for.

(Washer fluid ran out yesterday though)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Zoom,

Was going to change my name - but I can't suss out how to !

It was Matt that I spoke to on the phone yesterday and that my wife has been in to see today and he seems quite friendly and helpful.

Are you into ICE?
I used to be quite into it a few years ago and I've still got a couple of amps and a sub in my other car, a Corrado VR6 but the kit is quite well out of date now - still sounds ok though.

The Mini that we've reserved has the single CD boost - what kind of CD tuner is it? is it any good? are the STD speakers any good?

My Moby : 07789 200951
Personal email : [email protected]

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: I Blame the NET

Dogger said:
.......Sometimes I think there should be a ban on anyone posting negative threads if they don't actually OWN a MINI (hint hint Mr. Bill..;))

I have only just picked up on this thread, and i'm suprised by some of the attitudes.

As a "potential" owner of a Cooper S, perhaps I should just stay silent and not put forward any points of view raised here or anywhere else on this site.

If this view is held by a majority here, then I will gladly shut up.

To have the opportunity to see what is happening in the REAL Mini world, this site has been in-sightful. There are many advocates of the MINI around the world that have not even seen one yet. This site gives them the opportunity to chat to current owners and maybe as outsiders looking in be of some help to those that have problems with their cars.

Due to this site, I am considering delaying or cancelling my car. I hope that, in posting this type of message that BMW will be more likely to do something about the problems. BMW AG spend a lot of time here, that you can be assured of. Without this site I would not have been in a position to write directly to BMW about my concerns, as I would not have had any. Thats not a bad thing, it simply means I am keeping informed with the problems and actively DOING something about it.

I am grateful to Paul Mullett and all the other people involved with this site to be able to have an input.

If you would prefer that non-MINI owners butt out (not just mr.bill) then fine. I would prefer to hear from Paul Mullett himself on this issue.

cheers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts