MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm now 3 months into new mini (R56 Cooper S Astral black) ownership - a great car, coming from a BMW 535d Sport and decided to downsize.

I have a bad habit of automatically putting on the SPORT button as soon as I get in. I'm still getting about 32mpg. I like the fact the engine response improves and the steering tightens up.

I know I shouldn't. It's too much fun! Does anyone else have teh same 'problem'!?

regards
grafikr

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use it if I'm on a bit of a blast, but most of the time it is off.

I find the artificially heavy steering annoying (why? You don't get any more response or feel, it's just heavier for no reason) and I find that I slip the clutch more pulling away as the revs go on quicker.

But when having a blast I don't mind the heavier steering (even if it is pointless) and I love the increased throttle response when blipping the throttle when changing down, fantastic!

Shame it doesn't affect the suspension. Sport spec with 17 inch wheels means great handling but hard ride. Be great to be able to just have the great handling/hard ride when Sport engaged, and a bit softer the rest of the time.

That said I prefer the handling to the comfort so don't regret the sport suspension.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is no less direct than with Sport engaged (it can't be, it's a direct link), it's just lighter.

Maybe you're tugging it too hard? ;)

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Don't use the Sport button very often - only pop it on when overtaking, but sometimes I do have a little press if I want a blast. I think that way, you appreciate it more :cool:

·
I'm avin 'oops
1,225 Posts
Only use it when I really want to thrape on a run

agree with everything said tho!

·
Hmmmmm
237 Posts
Don't use the Sport button very often - only pop it on when overtaking, but sometimes I do have a little press if I want a blast. I think that way, you appreciate it more :cool:
Ditto... Just use to when going around the lanes and want to tighten up the steering a bit. On the daily trudge up and down the motorway there's no point.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have an S with Works Kit - When i press the button I can feel the steering difference but i wouldnt say the throttle response is much different. Perhaps it is more noticeable on a standard S?

Other Works drivers notice a difference on the throttle?

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
I love the sport button :D. But only if I'm doing country roads or want to have a sprint down a nice wide road. If you want to annoy some chav's, press it and put your foot down to the floor :D.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts