MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
I'm not sure I like those standard Cooper S wheels.

What do those who have seen them in the flesh (or in photos) think?

:)
Paul, if you're refering to the Monzas (left), I'm with you ... too "busy" for my taste. I think that the Daytonas (right), supposedly a no-cost option here in the States, will be my choice:

They may not look the same size, but both are 16" wheels ;)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
MINIAC said:

Paul, if you're refering to the Monzas, I'm with you ... too "busy" for my taste. I think that the Daytonas, supposedly a no-cost option here in the States, will be my choice.
The ones on the right are standard issue on the aussie spec Cooper "S", and as I've mentioned somewhere else here i'm with Paul on this one. I like wheels that show the wheel studs. I'd like to fit the ones shown on the Silver Cooper on the John Cooper Works photo. Although I'm not convinced they are 17" as others reckon they are. I first wanted the 17" S spoke wheels, but am now favouring sticking to 16".

Australian roads are generally crap so 17" rims will simply exagerate the problem.

·
Sham's apprentice
721 Posts
I like the Monzas. I think they look sharp and plan to put them on my BRG Cooper S!!!

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
X-lite alloys

The standard alloys, called either Monza or X-lite, don't look too bad indeed. But the EB car in Essen was better of with white ones rather than silver ones.
For some odd reason the 17 inch S-spoke (LeMans) look better on a Dark Silver S and the Monza 16 inch (X-lite) look better on an Electric Blue S. But it is a matter of taste, ofcourse;)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Im not too sure on the Monza alloys. They look to much like SMITH'S TWISTER OR TSW VENOM'S which appear on really naff cars driven by boy racer's:eek: :eek: :eek: :)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Paul,

These ones get my vote:

I love them that much I am getting them on my cooper:p

LMB:D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
LMB said:
Paul,

These ones get my vote:

I love them that much I am getting them on my cooper:p

Should cope with the potholes well. They look nice and strong.... whats the tyre combination for 17"....205/45 ?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not to keen on the Monza's either, I've got the Daytonas on my cooper which I think look great but on the S it has to be the 17inch Lemans, it gives the car a more aggressive look.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
DNG said:
Not to keen on the Monza's either, I've got the Daytonas on my cooper which I think look great but on the S it has to be the 17inch Lemans, it gives the car a more aggressive look.
Have you got a picture...or are these the ones shown on the works coopers (of which I am still to be convinced they are 17")

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
Monza or LeMans???

I've created a pic of a Dark Silver S with the standard (Monza/X-lite) alloys so you all can see the difference another type of wheel can do to a car. The Monza's give the car a totally different look:

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
KarmanS said:
. . . . . . I'd much prefer the 17in lemans rims which I saw at the HK show. I think they look stunning and perfect for the S.
I`ve said it before . . . I personally (me, myself) reckon that there is no better wheel for the S - it looks great, it`s perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the car, a kind of Minilite meets the 21st century!

Let`s also put it this way - I`d buy a fifth (spare) wheel to mount, recessed a few centimeters into the wall above the fireplace . . . . and I wouldn`t give any of the other lot house-room!

I like it.

The end.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Jakx said:
I`ve said it before . . . I personally (me, myself) reckon that there is no better wheel for the S - it looks great, it`s perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the car, a kind of Minilite meets the 21st century!

Let`s also put it this way - I`d buy a fifth (spare) wheel to mount, recessed a few centimeters into the wall above the fireplace . . . . and I wouldn`t give any of the other lot house-room!

I like it.

The end.
The "LeMans" you refer to, I assume is wheel number 6 on the MINI2 wheel page (thanks for that by the way :eek:)).
In my MINI Brochure these are referred to as "S Spoke"....so I had better be careful when/if I order them!!!!.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think that the minilite wheels look OK, but the 17" Le-Mans 'S' Spoke wheels look amazing, I think that they also capture the character of the old mini cooper 13" wheels.

But are much better of course! ;)

Andy

·
Registered
632 Posts
esoteric . . and we have it

LMB said:
Sorry OnlyS4me....I don't like them at all:)

Nor me - a bit too `plump` looking and wheel trim-like somehow!

We`re told elsewhere LMB that the S-spoke IS the (US/other markets?) LeMans!?

Maybe BMW reckon our yank cousins in particular need a really, really fanciful handle to impress and so gee them up a bit? ;)

Whereas of course, us Brits have no such need and are generally considered to appreciate the more esoteric things in Life.

Anyway, whatever, S-spoke can only mean one thing IMO - BMW consider it to be THE wheel for the S.

(Probably doesn`t translate too well in some markets.)

The name `LeMans` however could apply to any number of MaxPower originals and as such the `name` will only have a meaningful shelf life of about 24 hours!

Say after me . . . S-spoke, S-spoke . . .

Anyone know the precise order information in the UK?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts