MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2003 PS MCS
137 Posts
moonpie19 said:
But just what is a MINI One?
I'm sure others can speak better to this but the MINI one is an "entry level" MINI priced and spec'd lower than the Cooper. Most notably it has a 90bhp engine as opposed to the 115bhp in the Cooper.

It's not available in North America.

Cheers.

J\

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Jason is right the MINI One is a lower range than the Cooper and the basic one comes with a basic exhaust, black grille instead of chrome, matt black wing mirror caps, matt black boot handle, no chrome inserts in the bumper, different cloth interior on the standard seats, no sports suspension, not allowed contrast roof colour (only body colour) and 90bhp instead of 115bhp. Really that is all I can think of. Obviously all the options can be changed and spec'ed up to change to be similar to the Cooper but the engine has a limiter to reduce output. IMO its not that much different to drive than the cooper. + they are about £1000 cheaper than the Cooper.

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts

Cloth interior. My is a MINI ONE and allthough jason was right about most things, it has ment i've been able to have more options when i was ordering, than what i would have been able to afford if i'd bought a cooper.

Also the insurance price is significantly cheaper for the likes of me (young driver). And for about 300-400GBP you can uprate the engine to EXACTLY cooper specification. only thing missing then is the silver mesh at the front :p

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
hehe, forgot about mine being sports seats. Yer ur right, the cloth seats now are not too great, allthough they were fine before the 'change'

·
Serial Mini Hugger
87 Posts
I love MINI said:
Actually matt those are sports seats and therefore not the standard one interior. This pic below shows the Pre 05 standard MINI one cloth for the standard seats. Now they have changed the cloth for the ONE and it is really horrible now!
That's my car!! :D I actually like the pattern on the cloth. It's really nice as standard if you can't afford better if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
junglemonkey said:
That's my car!! :D I actually like the pattern on the cloth. It's really nice as standard if you can't afford better if you know what I mean!
Sorry for using your gallery shot. I couldn't find a pic of mine. I have the same cloth on mine! I like it actually much better than the one now! I like your signiture I have one there too but not as big and my dash is anthracite and chrome not brilliant silver! Love it! :D

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
i know what you mean about the new cloth seats,i had the red cloth sports seats in my Jan 03 MINI ONE and i've got the new red sports seats on my Sept 04 ,my first thought was that they look and feel cheaper but since that first thought i haven't given it much consideration and i'm happy with them now.I'm pleased that they changed the pattern of plastic on the back of the seats cos my old MINI seats were scratched very badly after only a couple of weeks,these ones don't have the same problem,i think they changed the design just after i bought my 03 MINI ,sods law.Regarding the difference between a MINI ONE and a COOPER,i had a MC on 24 hr test before i decided to order,and without wishing to offend anyone i thought that there really wasn't much difference in day to day driving to warrant what was an extra £1400 at the time(Jan 03).Again when i ordered my new ONE i was all set to purchase a MC but considering the difference in performance i decided i would rather a well specced ONE than a MC with only a CD player and S Spokes as my selected options cos the budget wouldn't stretch much further.Its insurance group 5 instead of 8 like the cooper(i'm 36 so this perhaps isn't so much a consideration as for younger drivers).Personally i think i will jump to the MCS ,but there is a dilema ,i could probably only afford an extremely basic MCS, is that a sin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I spotted that the standard seats in the 05 MINI one looked worse that earlier models. Maybe its a scam to get people to purchase the sports seats which cost an extra £180 but I bet they don't cost anymore to fit over standard seats. I know I went for sports seats for that reason, after a week and half use after arrival I find them very good. Also the standard suspension in the One is softer than the cooper and for a large number of roads in the UK this is a plus point in my view, and it doesn't seem to affect the handling that much either. If you go for the pepper pack on a ONE then it will look the same as a cooper which includes the silver mesh at the front. As well as cheaper insurance its also cheaper to tax in the UK and supposedly slightly better fuel economy. It costs £1300 less than a cooper which is a bonus. Performance still is very good and you can easily and cheaply get it up to cooper performance. I maybe bias but I think its a winner and am surprised more people don't realize how good a ONE is :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks you guys really helped me out. Since it isn't avaliable in the US I guess thats why I didn't know what it was. Thanks again!

·
Registered
402 Posts
zyo said:
I'm pleased that they changed the pattern of plastic on the back of the seats cos my old MINI seats were scratched very badly after only a couple of weeks,these ones don't have the same problem,i think they changed the design just after i bought my 03 MINI ,sods law.
How are these different? Do you have a pic and can you retrofit... anyone?

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
The ones on my Jan 03 MINI ONE had a smoothish surface that scratched and scuffed as soon as you touched it,but not long after i got my 03 MO they changed it (according to something i read on here somewhere) my new one obviously has this change and the back of the seats now have a pattern on which is very similar to that on the door trims and the dash top.It doesn't mark like the old one used to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts