MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
under and on the floor carpet on the left side of the trunk ?

Water leaks in when it rains hard ?

Does anyone have the same problem here and does anyone know this has too be solved by the dealer under garanty.... my car is from 2001 and i bought it second hand ?

I assume faults like this should be under garanty ....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Twice I have had water in my boot. Twice it turned out to be the gasket behind
3rd brake light in rear hatch. Most likely to be the problem

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Yep, my MINI had water in the boot after really heavy rain (it was never in a car wash). The dealer replaced the high level brake lamp as it had condensation in it and also the gasket.

Early on in the car's life it also had both of the rear light clusters replaced as they were full of condensation, no water in the boot from them though.

·
MINI Fan
48 Posts
The seal behind the CHMSL is the most likely, like the others have said, but you might want to check the seal around the rear windscreen-wiper spindle as well. I've seen a couple of those mounted eccentric enough to create a leak, but it's pretty rare.

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Yup, third brake light gasket is the culprit. I have the same problem on my '02 MCS. At the next service they will be replacing the light.

I took it off to see what was wrong and found the gasket to be folded in one spot so that it did not seal. I was able to smooth it out and re-install it. That seemed to help some but it still needs to be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts