MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang

Spoke to MINI customer services this morning to see if the part leather option on the chilli pack had been changed to full leather at no extra cost,but sadly it has\'nt and the reason I was given there was an error on the production line that resulted in full leather in stead of part and rather than delay the production line to change them over they let the cars go though without any extra cost to the customers cars that had them fitted

But could not give me a figure on how many cars were effected so if you are not taking delivery of your cooper with the chilli pack option in the next week i would have thought we wont be getting it..boohoo :\'(

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
My car is in production next week (hopefully) I\'m glad that I won\'t be getting full leather (even at no extra cost). I haven\'t specified A/C and from previous experience of leather seats they would be unbearably hot in summer and cold in winter. Part leather is what I ordered and that is what I hope will be on my car, if it isn\'t then I won\'t be getting a MINI and there will be a red and white cooper available for immediate delivery :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi,

I too have spoken to mini hq today about this \'error\'.

I have opted for full leather anyway and i think my car is due within the next week. They have said that i will have to pay if that option is on my car when it arrives! Highly unfair i think, they should deduct this from the people who chose this option if the cars were together on the production line.

Anyway, congrats to the people who have this for free.

Perhaps us unlucky devils will get a few more bits added on, although there isnt a lot more i could have had thats available! Boohoo...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Modern and decent quality leather seats do not suffer from the same problems that their great grandparents suffered from. My colleagues BMW 3 Series has the camel leather interior and has been cool to the touch all summer (even on those 3 days where the sun came out). The leather doe not feel the same as in his old 3 YO 3 Series. I am sure they treat the leather nowadays, any leather-workers about that could confirm this???!?!?

Any other thoughts?

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
blackshark,

The problem with leather seats isn\'t due to quality problems, but to the fact that hot black leather will cause your contact points - back, bum and legs to sweat whether the air-con is on or not.

I have leather seats in my Saab and suffer from this problem! At least with part leather you have the best of both worlds - grip on your back, bum and legs and leather where the movement/contact points are. ie where you slide in and out of a car and move your arms to steer and change gear.

Leather seats are ideal if you have brats as they are \"wipe-clean.\"

Gross as it may sound, cloth does absorb sweat and moisture and allows your back to breathe.

Has anyone thought that the leather seats on the MINI look cheap and tacky with those funny dots - it looks like a London Underground floor surface covering! (Just MHO!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dont think the black leather with dots looks \'tacky\'at all in my opinion.

It is something different and i think it looks classy.

I agree with some of the discussion in that you will sweat a little more, but this is a known fact with all skins. And again, it depends on how long you spend driving in any one time. Personally, i only drive short distances so hopefully wont cause me any problems. Again, i think all of the options on the seats look good, and had trouble deciding which one to have.

Leather for me!!

Regards,

lol

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
I have black leather seats in my current car. That they\'re slightly cold in winter doesn\'t bother me; you sit on them, they warm up.

In summer, they do act as a heat magnet if you park the car in direct sun. I find myself looking out a shady spot to park. I find tree sap and berries play havoc with the paintwork, so it\'s a trade-off.

On long journeys - two hours or so - my back will somteimes get a little damp. It\'s probably the leather that causes that, but what better material to cope with this than leather?

Having no aircon, I find that if the leather seats are too hot to sit ON, then the cabin of the car is also too hot to sit IN. It\'s worth it for the extra comfort (everybody says my old Renault\'s seats are the most comfy they\'ve sat in), the prestige and the leather\'s ability to keep taking the knocks.

I\'m looking forward to delivery of a half leather Cooper with automatic Aircon just in time for the October meet (fingers crossed for me pelase)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Knobbly leather

dietcokeplease said:
Has anyone thought that the leather seats on the MINI look cheap and tacky with those funny dots - it looks like a London Underground floor surface covering! (Just MHO!)
Have to agree, it looks very weird. Can't think why they chose tha look - the smooth leather looks much better and more like ....leather.

If I got full knobbly instead of cloth or half-leather, I'd want a discount!!

·
MINI2 Master BLASTER!!!!!
1,532 Posts
Sorry to be the downer guy in this thread, but I have some bad news about full leather seats!

They ar bad for your back, as it allows you to slide into a bad posture position while sat down rather easily!

Personally I like full leather, but if u have a bad back stick with colth as it will be better for you in the long run for your back, as the grip from your cloth on your back an bum will allow you to stay ina better postural position.

Soory my older brother is one of the wacko sport physiotherapist! He knows all this stuff, and he gets paid a packet!

He bought my Mini cooper for my birthday! 6th of Feb, pick up day!

So you guys can thank my bro for this piece of info.

Cheers , and happy drivin, and my brother says "keep a good posture while driving!"

:) :) :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Ibb said:
Sorry to be the downer guy in this thread, but I have some bad news about full leather seats!

They ar bad for your back, as it allows you to slide into a bad posture position while sat down rather easily!

Personally I like full leather, but if u have a bad back stick with colth as it will be better for you in the long run for your back, as the grip from your cloth on your back an bum will allow you to stay ina better postural position.

Soory my older brother is one of the wacko sport physiotherapist! He knows all this stuff, and he gets paid a packet!

He bought my Mini cooper for my birthday! 6th of Feb, pick up day!

So you guys can thank my bro for this piece of info.

Cheers , and happy drivin, and my brother says "keep a good posture while driving!"

:) :) :)
Full leather in the sports seats should be ok though.

Maybe ask your brother ?

:)

·
1,532 Posts
My brother says, you should avoid sport seats if you're likely to do alot of travelling as the seats are quite firm compared to the std ones, but then again he says it depends on how healthy and fit you are. If you are fit and, and don't have back problems you will be fine.

My cooper is coming with sports seats.

He says that leather seats are nice, its just that you will have a higher risk twds back pain and other problems associated with your back. But its personal preference, some ppl are affected by this and others the majority don't.

Hope I've helped! :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Ibb said:
My brother says, you should avoid sport seats if you're likely to do alot of travelling as the seats are quite firm compared to the std ones, but then again he says it depends on how healthy and fit you are. If you are fit and, and don't have back problems you will be fine.

My cooper is coming with sports seats.

He says that leather seats are nice, its just that you will have a higher risk twds back pain and other problems associated with your back. But its personal preference, some ppl are affected by this and others the majority don't.

Hope I've helped! :)
Well the Cooper S comes with sports seats as standard, so I guess it's back to the squash courts for this old man!

·
1,532 Posts
You'll be fine m8!

He says as long as you take a rest every 2hrs whle doing long journeys, you'll be ok!

When you are on a rest, he suggest that bending backwars as far as you can without it hurting, will take out the pressure from the lower part of your spine, and going for a 1 minute stroll will help further, and then you can get back to driving hehehe!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Ibb said:
You'll be fine m8!

He says as long as you take a rest every 2hrs whle doing long journeys, you'll be ok!

When you are on a rest, he suggest that bending backwars as far as you can without it hurting, will take out the pressure from the lower part of your spine, and going for a 1 minute stroll will help further, and then you can get back to driving hehehe!
Ok, I'll play along....... Is your brother from this planet ?

·
1,532 Posts
Nah, I always thought there was something wrong with him!
Never asked him where he cam from so its a mystery at the mo, I'm gonna have to confront him hehehe.

Doesn't help that he's got photographic memory! Damn bloke knows every blinding detail of things!
He says all this stuff to me , and I'm turning out to be a part time physiotherapist, but I'm a business

He only means well, but do take note, he does know what he's on about, he was part of this tema of researchers looking into back related prolems with car seats.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I personally dont like the profile leather seats, I think that the part leather part cloth seats look the business, this is what I am going to order for my S.

Andy

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:
I personally dont like the profile leather seats, I think that the part leather part cloth seats look the business, this is what I am going to order for my S.

Andy
Standard on Cooper S in oz....... he he he

Oh and free foglights........he he he

1 - 19 of 19 Posts