MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm highly frustrated and depressed so I thought I would share it with you to see if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Yesterday I was at my local mini dealer testing the R56 Cooper S. My intention being that I would get one within the next few months. After currently having a Cooper, I have now fallen for the fantastic Cooper S.

As I was walking out the dealer I saw a car (which had come in early that day - not even for sale yet) Black, Leather seats, SAT NAV, auto climate, FCA, 3 spoke m func steering wheel, all the extras etc etc.

I would love that car HOWEVER I’m struggling because of the following.

I’m 19. Someone hit me last year in JAN 07 but the claim is still pending because the other side will not admit liability. Therefore I’m struggling to get insurance. Until now I have been a named driver on my parents insurance but im looking to be on my own, as I will be using the car more. Therefore 0 NCB but I have been driving for over 2 years.

Without the accident I can easily get insurance, Adrian Flux and Admiral will both offer insurance. However when I mention the claim pending the quote is ridiculous.

My problem is that I have fallen in love with this car and who knows how long it will be before the claim is settled? It could be another year or two!

Obviously I have heard the saying there are "plenty more fish in the sea" so I’m sure I can find another car similar if I cant get this one, but I still don’t want to wait all this time to get things settled.

What can I do? Any ideas or tips welcome...

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't be ripped off on the insurance! Just wait till the claim is settled. As you rightly say there are plenty more fish in the sea...,

Yes I know what your saying is the logical and sensible thing to do (of which i'm neither!) but who knows how long it will be!? It could be another couple of years, and lets face it, Im not getting any younger lol (I'm only 19!)

My Cooper isnt quick enough for me. I'm a very impatient guy and even if its not this car, I still want to be able to get a different car within the next few months.

I guess deep down I know its a good thing because its stopping me getting ripped off and at least I can get a half decent quote when my claim is settled.

ARGGHHH I want a cooper s!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
just chill out and be content that driving a cooper at 19 is actually a pretty nice situation in absolute terms - forget the relative side of wanting the cooper s, enjoy your cooper for another year or 2 - once the claim is settled will be better...and if you can wait till youre 21 then the premium would drop significantly also.

i know we're all impatient at that age - i remember wanting a renault 5 gt turbo when i was 19 - ended up waiting till i was nearly 21, but worth it when i got it in the end (well, till the turbo went 6 months later - ah, the good old days of unreliable turbos in the 80's lol)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your best building your no claims up with a different car - a mini one maybe? then after a year or 2 move onto a cooper s

Your only 19 so yeah of course insurance will be high on one of those.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your best building your no claims up with a different car - a mini one maybe? then after a year or 2 move onto a cooper s

Your only 19 so yeah of course insurance will be high on one of those.

I already drive a Cooper, and ye its good as most of my friends drive polos, fiestas etc. But by the time im 21 wont i want something better/faster than a cooper s? I want to get it while im young enough to get nothing better... (for example last year I got my cooper at 18, which was the best and fastest car i could afford and get insured on)

I CAN get insurance but because of the pending claim its just ridiculous quotes. My insurance on my cooper is only about £1300. Most companies quoting for the S between £4000-£9000!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
im 32, ive had numerous GTI's Turbos you name it, but now i drive an 03 cooper. and i love it, be patient i think the only thing right now you will be getting with a cooper s is 3 points and an empty wallet your time will come.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Do you have any reason to be dis-satisfied with your Cooper? I would love to get a Cooper S, I've had insurance quotes for £900 but I'd rather wait til I am a bit older and the insurance is cheaper still.

Have you taken into account that the road tax will be more hefty than on your Cooper. Thats another reason I am happy to stay with my One :)

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
I already drive a Cooper, and ye its good as most of my friends drive polos, fiestas etc. But by the time im 21 wont i want something better/faster than a cooper s? I want to get it while im young enough to get nothing better... (for example last year I got my cooper at 18, which was the best and fastest car i could afford and get insured on)
By 21 you'll want something faster than a Cooper S? :rolleyes:

The Cooper S is a quick car - you shouldn't need anything faster at 21. Insurance will still be relatively high at that age because you're still considered a young driver.

My Cooper did me well for two years and the only reason I upgraded to an S recently is because the Cooper was having a fair few problems and was out of warranty. An S came along with the spec I wanted and I decided to buy. However, I was more than happy with the performance of the Cooper - more than a match for an S on bendy roads and only falls back on the straights. :D

It does sound as if you're quite competitive with your friends over your cars. That mindset is partly responsible for younger drivers having higher insurance premiums. Competition can lead to drivers wanting to prove whose car is better, which in turn can lead to accidents. As you mature as a driver you'll see that you don't need an S to have fun in a MINI. :)

This S you've seen isn't necessarily the one. There will be more like it when the time is right. ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Will echo what the others have said!

Be patient. You will begrudge paying the hefty insurance costs. I know what it's like when you want something so badly but hey ho - the anticipation of knowing you will eventually get it will be worthwhile!

In the meantime why don't you tart your current Cooper up?

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Could get the JCW kit for your current cooper - make it a bit faster while increasing the insurance only slightly - it would be in between. Thats what I would do - Chris at Derek Woodman has got a variety of offers on the JCW range!;)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I agree with the others in terms of logic; but when your feelings are involved it can often take over! ;) I am going to change my car in the next 6 months and I am going to get what I'd really like...however I am turning 43 in August and I just plan to get what I want. You are young enough to wait. Isn't it an option to stay on your parent's insurance until the matter is settled? Good luck with it all. :wink:

·
Mr Big Stuff
3,475 Posts
LOL at Nineteen I had a 998cc Mini I shudder to think of my self in anything with that much power at that age I was bad enough in the thou god forbid what I would have done with a 1.6 turbo.
Enjoy your cooper chip it play with it refine your driving style don't throw masses of money at getting an S just because you can.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I would wait, build up your own NCB on your Cooper.

I wouldnt ever entertain paying those sort of figures on any car let alone a Cooper S, and to be honest at 19, with no NCB, want to insure a new S, you are an insurers nightmare, hence the prices (no offence ;)) At 19 I was perfectly happy with my MINI ONE, wanted an S for sure, but no-way would I have done it then.

Ive just picked up my new S today, and yes im 21, but ive waited till now for the car ive always wanted and the insurance is a sensible price, and its made it so much more special :)

Like M.O.S said, the best things come to those who wait! :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Seems to me like you've made your mind up already and you're just waiting for someone to say go for it.
It worries me that a 19 year old is saying a Cooper isn't fast enough and that by 21 a Cooper S will be too slow. Sorry for getting all high and mighty but with an attitude like that I really don't think you're ready for a Cooper S.
:frown:

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
I got hit last year aswell mate - in on Feb 23rd. She admitted liability straight away, my car got paid for, all the treatment i required etc etc and only got my money a couple of weeks ago.

I know what you are saying about the insurance - i am 19, had 2 crashes but neither were my faut (taxi driver reversed into me and got hit from behind). As a result of these my insurance quote was higher!

Bonj, good point. I drive my mums Cooper S, and was insured on my dads 3l twin torbo 300C when he had it, and yea they are good fun to drive for abit. But wht dont you keep your Cooper and modify it? Like properly. My mate is 19, with a brand new Subaru Impreza WRX and, to be fair, there is not really any need. Expencive on fuel, high insurance price and if you crash it you will probably have a tasty excess too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW DIDNT THINK ID HAVE THIS MANY REPLIES TO READ THROUGH.

I appreciate everyones input but just to answer a couple of points. Ye me and my friends are competitive but not in a stupid boy racer kind of way. And not in a chav "look at my sick ride" kinda way either. Im not stupid enought to get into little races etc (but obviously its nice to be able to pull away from someone every once in a while).

Also, I love my cooper, dont get me wrong but as you would all agree, a bit more power is never a bad thing!! My family are really into cars, My dad drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 - 6.1 Hemi V8 so he is kinda a bad influence on me.

I think you are all right, deep down I know i wouldnt take the plundge and do it now - that would be financial suicide. I think 20 with 1 yr NCB and my claim settled in my favour is the LEAST i have to wait for. Adrian Flux did however quote me £2500 online as if the claim was settled which isnt bad I guess.

Also im not sure about the concept of modding my Cooper or chipping it etc. Ive never liked the idea of messing with the manufacturers layout so I dont think ill be doing this.

Also, I know this might sound like an arrogant little 19 yr old who has just started driving but I think im quite a good driver, everyone I take in my car says they think im safe and aware of whats going on around me while driving quickly aswell as slowly and sensible so I DO think I would be ready for a cooper s.

Once, again, thanks for everyones input, I asked the audience and most of you gave the same reply whilst justifying your thoughts. I appreciate the feedback.

KEEP AN EYE OUT ON HERE FOR PICS OF A NEW COOPER S NEXT YEAR OR THE YEAR AFTER!!

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Seems to me like you've made your mind up already and you're just waiting for someone to say go for it.
It worries me that a 19 year old is saying a Cooper isn't fast enough and that by 21 a Cooper S will be too slow. Sorry for getting all high and mighty but with an attitude like that I really don't think you're ready for a Cooper S.
:frown:
I have to say I agree. I mean you don't have the experience to control the power. It doesn't matter how careful you are, you cannot control a car as well as someone who has driven for years should the unthinkable happen. As a result, I may avoid a cooper s until Im a lot older than 19 - its just too young.;)

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
You may be a GOOD driver, but you're not EXPERIENCED!

Also, I know this might sound like an arrogant little 19 yr old who has just started driving but I think im quite a good driver, everyone I take in my car says they think im safe and aware of whats going on around me while driving quickly as well as slowly and sensible so I DO think I would be ready for a cooper s.
You are to be commended for taking a serious attitude behind the wheel, however although you are a 'good' driver you are not an 'experienced' one and will not yet have the perception for danger that you will acquire over the many years of driving you have ahead of you.

I passed my test a few weeks before my 18th birthday (first time, only two minors), got my first car a few weeks later. I always obeyed speed limits, I drove within my own limits, I was reasonably aware of what's going on around me, I was mindful of the conditions, and people commented on how safe they felt in my car... I basically thought I was a pretty good driver.

However, as I've been driving for over 7 years now, I've come to realise that there is a vast difference between the skills you pick up when first learning to drive and those which are gained through experience. Even if you do everything right, you can still have a big accident when someone else makes a mistake... I was hit head-on by a drunk driver totalling my first car 8 months into driving, and a few years later I was rear-ended whilst stationary.

The experienced driver will scan further ahead (and further behind), will constantly be on the look-out for potential hazards and the imminent mistakes of others - calmly taking measures to minimise the danger for when it becomes a 'hazard' or to remove the hazard entirely. This differs from the approach of a relatively new driver, who will tend to react to hazards once they appear - i.e. emergency stop, etc.

At 19, I thought I was alert and a pretty good driver. Now at 25, I'm much more keenly aware than I once was, dialling in much more rapidly to potential dangers as they develop. What I don't feel is that I'm somehow better than average - the 7 years of driving experience I've got has not made me a complete driver, but has shown me the value of experience beyond the initially learned skills every new driver must demonstrate to pass their test.

With the benefit of hindsight, could I have applied this experience to avoid either of my big accidents? The first one, no - probably not... it is very difficult to avoid a careening drunk driving head-on at you. The second one? Perhaps... these days I flash my brake lights at cars approaching from behind to make sure they're alert and aware that traffic ahead has stopped - no exceptions. Would this have saved me from my second accident? I really can't say for sure, but it couldn't have hurt.

The more powerful your car is, the faster you will likely be going - not necessarily above the speed limit, but you will accelerate more quickly out of turns and be 'at speed' for a greater proportion of your journey. You will need your wits about you to make sure that others have registered your increase in speed and are taking appropriate notice of that in their driving decisions. Experience will give you the added perception to anticipate dangers - and anticipation is key when travelling at greater speed. The more time you have to react and minimise hazards, the more likely you are to reduce the risk of serious injury or avoid an accident altogether.

Please do not dismiss or underestimate the value of experience for keeping you out of danger. You are not yet as good a driver as you might think (I certainly wasn’t) and overconfidence (despite a serious mindset) will be at your peril.

Wait a few years (i.e. more than one or two) until you're a little more experienced and then get a MINI Cooper S. With hindsight, that's not a decision you'll ever regret. ;)

Good luck.

All the best,
Andrew.​

1 - 20 of 38 Posts