MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gosh i hate how my bf lectures me about
"u can never get MSRP price.. especially on minis.. blah blah why dont u just get a cheaper car blah blah.."
so is it NOT possible to get a MC around 17 k?
i make mini everyday at mini.com and price would come out to be around 18k..
and i really want a new one..
and one thing i learned from this site is that if i order and wait i can have better deal..
please help me guys..
theres only one dealership in my town.. and really want to get one from there and drive right out the door..
but is it gonna be more expensive if i do that?
cuz im not really looking for specs at this time..
tight on budgets.. and tired of my bf making fun of me and mini..
so.. help me guys.. i just want BASIC MC.. that's it.. so HELP A SISTER OUT!!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
happihana said:
"u can never get MSRP price.. especially on minis.. blah blah why dont u just get a cheaper car blah blah.."
and one thing i learned from this site is that if i order and wait i can have better deal..
please help me guys..
theres only one dealership in my town.. and really want to get one from there and drive right out the door..
Yes it is possible to buy a "bare bones" MINI (if such a thing exists on a MINI as they already come very well equipped from the factory.), as back in 2002 we bought our first MINI Cooper CVT with just 2 options: The CVT transmission ($1,250) and the multifuction steering wheel with cruise control ($350). The car came out to a total of $18,500 before taxes and fees.

We ordered it in June 30,2002 and took delivery on September 7,2002, eight weeks after having placed the order. We still have the car with 26K troublefree miles.

Its been a very fun and enjoyable car in despite of being one of the most basic Cooper CVTs around.

If you want to keep your new MINI Cooper CVT purchase under $20K, you MUST forget about most popular options (Premium, sport, cold packages, HK, sunroof, etc) and go with a basic car with the multifunction steering wheel and cruise control which is highly recommended. Also you can save even more if you decide to go with the 5 speed manual transmission instead of the CVT. You'll save as much as $1,350 off the sticker price.

Also in my view, your best bet is to order and wait. I believe (then again it depends on actual dealer factory allocations) that the Cooper model waiting times for factory orders are under 5 weeks, so waiting just about 1 month for your new car to arrive is not bad at all (I waited 10 MONTHS for my second MINI a '04 MCS) and you'll get EXACTLY what you want and within your budget.

Dealers rarely if ever keep "bare bones" MINIs in stock. They don't ever pre-spec basic cars because they feel that customers wanting to buy right away and not willing to wait they will have to spring out for useless options and this translates into more $$$ for the dealer's showroom floor. Dealers believe that "loaded" cars are easier to sell and more attractive to prospective customers than "basic" cars with few or no options.

Keep in mind that MINIs are mostly non-negotiable items.... In other words depending on the dealer and local market conditions you maybe lucky if and I say "IF" you get a discount off MSRP a new MINI. You may get a $100-$500 break if lucky but for the most part when you order a new MINI you pay exactly what the window sticker says.... Take it or leave it! No other choice!.

Finally, have you also considered buying a used MINI Cooper?? Used Cooper CVTs (specially bare bones ones) are hard to find in the used car market, but maybe I can interest you in mine for around $17,200.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
happihana said:
please help me guys..
to start. ditch this bf of yours! :p

its not hard... if its cvt you are after then go for cvt... i got my bone basic S right off the lot... alot of people like to spec their own specs, so bone basic cars should be easy to find off the lot, granted there aren't many bone basics out there but shouldn't be hard to find..

i'd say call your dealer and ask msrp if you are just ordering a cvt... and ask if they got any in stock

·
Registered
947 Posts
Maybe in Canada it is easier to find new "basic" MINIs in dealer showrooms, but here in the US MINI dealers pre-spec their cars "loaded" with packages, sunroof, leather, etc.

Different markets I guess.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you are gonna buy a new MINI, I think ordering and waiting is a crucial part of the MINI experience, IMO.

When I decided to get a second MINI (MCS) back in '03 the 5 dealers we have here none of them had "bone stock" MCS in thier lots. Waiting lists for the MCS were still long and my dealer put me down for a new '04 9 months before they were introduced to market. Even if I wanted a new '03 MCS "bone stock" from the factory with just a few "a la carte" options I had to wait 6-7 months and hence I decided it was much better to wait for the 2004s (And boy I am glad I did because my '04 MCS with 15K miles has been absolutely flawless!!).

It all depends. If you are willing to spend more than you budgeted for and don't want to wait then you can settle with what the dealer has in stock at the time, otherwise you are much better off ordering from the factory.

Also I forgot to say this: If you want to keep your new Cooper CVT under $20K, DITCH THE EXTRA COST ($420) METALLIC PAINT and go with a solid no cost paint finish. Yes your choices will be limited to Chili Red, Liquid Yellow, Pepper White and Jet Black.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A CVT MC for under $20K

D&R Mini in Indy has a '05 MC that has Premium, Sport, and Cold Weather packages and a CVT. No other options. They are just under $20K MSRP.

I agree that for what you are describing you will have to order. Especially if you are ordering from a dealer here in the states. Just go to www.Miniusa.com and use the configurator to spec out your car. Then send it to a local dealer.

People do not understand that a small, light weight, good handeling car can be driven at 9/10 or 10/10 (FUN!) all day long and under the legal limits!

My dream MC is as follows:

2005 Mini Cooper

Body Color: not Metallic (free option)
White Roof/Mirrors (free option)
White Wheels (free option)
White Bonnet Stripes

Cold weather pack
Heated front seats
Heated Side Mirrors and Washer Jets

Sport Suspension (standard)
5 speed Manual (standard)
15" 7 Holes (All Season) (standard)
Xenon Headlamps w/Power Wash

Standard Octagon Panther Black seats (free option)
Silver interior Surface (free option)
Cockpit Chrono Pack w/On-board Computer
3 Spoke w/Cruise and Multifunction
6 speaker AM/FM CD Player (standard)

All for just under $19K

I would consider the Chrono Pack, Xenons, and Cold Weather pack as luxuries. And $79 for the Bonnet Stripes.... Well, a MC just has to have them!

I know that D&R would never have one in stock like this... Untill I order it!

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
Order one to your liking and go light on the options, it's the only way to keep costs down.
Dealers here in Canada tend to stock heavily optioned cars presumably to increase profits - the only cars in stock were thousands more than the basic Cooper I ordered.
I ordered a Classic model - a special bare bones model available here - no cruise, ASC, sunroof, metallic paint, xenon, etc. options are available on this model. The only two options available on the car were heated seats (got 'em) and CVT (no dice).
Had a three month wait but was worth it to substantially reduce the price of admission!
Order to your heart's content and enjoy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so my bf goes.. lets go check out the dealer..

yea.. it could be fun experience to go to the lot and look at full loaded minis.. but scared cuz my bfs gonna look at the prices and be like "I SO TOLD YOU" .. :eek:
arrrrr..
o well..
would i be able to smoke his base prelude 02??? with 5 speed?? haha ok.. that was dumb..

and i was wondering how is ordering mini works.
i build my own and send it to dealer and they will contact the factory and have it for me?
or factory send it right away to me?
whew this is confusing.. and my bfs convicing me to get Scion tC..but heLllll naw
im so gonna buy mini.. even bare bone.. and mabe couple years later i can buy loaded mini.. :D

·
Shiredweller's Wife
2,732 Posts
The only option I got on my 03 Cooper is the HK. Paid MSRP plus $550 for the HK. Love the car and don't feel like I am missing anything without a lot of options. Did have to order the car as all the "in stock" cars were loaded with extras. Good luck.

·
Can't wait to order one.
42 Posts
Order it.

Order it. It's well worth the wait to get exactly what you want, at a better cost.

I don't have a car, so what i'm going to do is buy a cheap, reliable car in cash after I order my S, then when my Mini S arrives, trade the car in. Should be painless. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Look Happi, you CAN get the MC of your dreams! Stand your ground and don't give up!!!

My Cooper was around $18kUS ...I got sport seats, metallic paint (Indi Blue), fog lights, and a leather steering wheel. You could skip all that and get your CVT. Metallic paint...forget it (...the other colors are super!). Fogs...forget it. Sport seats...nice, but I've heard they've improved the newer seats. Leather steering wheel...forget it (...the leather's pretty thin anyway). In fact, why not learn to drive a stick and skip the CVT!! Alright, you don't have to go THAT far.

Seriously, I was looking at a new car myself back in late '02 and might have gotten another boring commuter car but I wanted to prove (to myself anyway) that I could do better for the same price and drive something I actually cared about. Remember...MINIs come standard with lots and lots of extras and a ride that is unlike anything else in its price range.....by a long shot!!! The standard MINI brings a lot of value for the money......bone stock standard. Honestly as much as we love our gadgets and options, a bare-bones MINI is a simply fantastic ride. Sometimes I wish people wouldn't get "option-fever" so readily...but that's their right (...and the toys are cool.)

I hope you can realize your dream. I've driven my MINI for almost two years and I'm sure I speak for almost everyone here when I say that MINI motoring definitely exceeds one's expectation. Yes, they're cute...yes, they're safe, yes they're well-built........but driving one each day brings a smile to one's face and THAT is truly priceless!!!!

On a more practical note...if you build a MINI at MINIUSA and print it out (or jot it down), take it to a "motoring advisor" at your MINI dealership. Show them what you want and they'll order it to your spec. MINIs on the lot do tend to be "optioned-up" so if you're in earnest, you may have to order...or contact a dealer in a surrounding state and see if you they may have one on the lot or on the way that matches your price point.

Good luck!!

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
We have a stock MINI in the showroom of my local dealership. Red and bare. $16,999. Already had a SOLD sticker on it. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
happihana said:
yea.. it could be fun experience to go to the lot and look at full loaded minis.. but scared cuz my bfs gonna look at the prices and be like "I SO TOLD YOU" .. :eek:
arrrrr..
o well..
would i be able to smoke his base prelude 02??? with 5 speed?? haha ok.. that was dumb..

and i was wondering how is ordering mini works.
i build my own and send it to dealer and they will contact the factory and have it for me?
or factory send it right away to me?
whew this is confusing.. and my bfs convicing me to get Scion tC..but heLllll naw
im so gonna buy mini.. even bare bone.. and mabe couple years later i can buy loaded mini.. :D
What you do is this. Build on line. Send a copy to your local dealer. Download and print out your Specs. Contact your dealer and see if they have anything like that in stock. They probably will not. Ask them to check other dealers near by. Again probably not. Then tell your dealer that you want to custom order one that matches your specs.

Sicon is just for Ricer Boyz. Toyota does not have near the resale value that Mini/BMW has. The last time I checked a 5 year old MC retains 53% its original purchase price. What is that on a Sicon... Like 10-15% Yea not even in the same class. Tell your bf he can't watch NOPI TiunerVision any more!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts