MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be seeing a cooper tomorrow in the US–possibly a test drive

I can't say where or when. Any requests for info or pictures?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure it is just a Cooper

I will get lots of pics - 256 MB CF card on my digital camera

·
Registered
927 Posts
I got a phone call this afternoon - about a test drive tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Loder and sdmidget,

- I'd be very interested to see some pics of the seats, especially since the choices for the S appear to be so limited.
Note the quality and feel of them too. I think before any of us possibly shell out $1200 for leather, we want to learn everything we can about both options.

- Note which audio system it has and, if you have time, give it a close listen. Worth the addl $ for the HK...?

Can you reveal this at least, is this a special arrangement b/c you're connected, or is it that you're one of the lucky first few (and the rest of us can look forward to the same soon)?

Enjoy, guys. There's 20,000 envious US MINI fans.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Alas - I can't go!!

Work commitment!!:mad: :( :confused:

(so I'm also one of those '20,000' too)

Loder - we're counting on YOU!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
quality of leather

I sat in an S at the auto show in Detroit and the leather was nice. Not terribly soft but very tactile with its grain. The photos I've seen make the leather look like it's really smooth like the Audi TT's, but it's not. It seemed nice to me. I don't know if it's really worth $1200, but I do love the two tone interior look.

Minimott

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was fun!!!! Not what I expected though.

I was invited by my MINI dealer – Otto's Mini in West Chester, PA to see the Cooper in person. It was a well optioned Silver/Black pre-production model Cooper (premium pack, sports pack, cold pack, park aid.)
About 20 or so people showed up. Talked with the BMW rep. Not any new info, and the car wasn't US spec, so it was nothing we haven't seen already. I have a few pictures, but nothing too interesting.

The real fun happened when a local tuner, Helix Motorsport, showed up with his freshly (just came off the boat yesterday) Indie Blue/ White Cooper. Eric was kind enough to give anyone who wanted one a test drive. What a blast! We each made a few laps around the back roads of West Chester, I was surprised how peppy the car was considering we had four guys (2-5'10 1-6' 1-6'2") in the car at the time. It stuck to the road like glue, and this was the base cooper with no SSP and 15" wheels. The shifting was short and precise. I can't imagine what the S will be like.

My impression :
Good
- A hoot to drive.
- somewhat surprising legroom in the back, depending on who was upfront (two 6' tall guys in the back seats comfortably.)
- Muti-function steering wheel is nice, radio controls are very convenient and necessary since the volume knob is incredibly small (about .375")

Bad
- The imorted version was a little loud. Possibly due to the exhaust dealer claimed US spec would be more quiet.
- The profile leather seats looked very worn, when one guy got in I could see foam in the corner as it was pulling away from the seat a little.
- Seats are hard to use lever mechanism feels fragile and doesn't work unless you force it. BMW rep said they are addressing issues such as these.
- The car has a lot of plastic bits. Hopefully some of this will change on the S. I don't particularly care for the sun visors (quite small) or the dome light.

Overall I am impressed with the car. I am fairly sure I will get it when the time comes. Paul -thanks for setting it up. Eric- Can't thank you enough for the drive.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Loder, you lucky guy! Thanks for telling us about it. I guess if Helix hadn't shown up then all you could have done with the MINI at the dealers is to look at it and kick the tires - no test drives? :(

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Too bad they may have a quieter exhaust for the U.S. I don't go for the big fart-pipes the homies put on their rice-burners, but it nice to have a bit of a growl in exhaust. Hope it isn't too quiet.
I'm very concerned about the leather seat quality. Those look like heck and they're brand new! I have leather seats in a 1997 GrandPrix GTP and they look like they just came off the assembly line.
Nice pics., Loder. Lets hope they send the car east to Boston now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey!!!!!!!!!!

nobody called me.

Im number 14 at Don Rosen for a Cooper.

sdmidget did some one from Don Rosen call you or some one from Ottos?
:confused: :mad:

im so green with envy im shaking.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: link to some pictures

loder said:
thanks for the pics and review loder. You are one lucky man to have tested one in the states. I await the moment when my dealer gets a demo for testing.

Cape Cod MINI, in regards to exhaust, my thoughts are same as yours. Must look for a set of meaty sounding and more aggressive looking exhausts when I receive the car (not rice burner wide pipe look alikes, of course :eek: )

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rdcrdc3 said:
Hey!!!!!!!!!!

nobody called me.

Im number 14 at Don Rosen for a Cooper.

sdmidget did some one from Don Rosen call you or some one from Ottos?
:confused: :mad:

im so green with envy im shaking.
Someone from Otto’s called.

·
Registered
927 Posts
rdcrdc3

Same here - Otto's

·
Registered
808 Posts
Re: That was fun!!!! Not what I expected though.

loder said:
- The car has a lot of plastic bits. Hopefully some of this will change on the S. I don't particularly care for the sun visors (quite small) or the dome light.
Just had the pleasure myself - Eric is a friend see other thread.

I saw the S at the Essen Motor Show last month. Most of the dash and door parts that are plastic in the Cooper appeared to be brushed aluminum in the S! Very nice...

Sounds like some local MINI get togethers will eventually be in order!

Jason

·
Registered
808 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
I don't go for the big fart-pipes the homies put on their rice-burners
I think the preferred term is "salad shooter" for those things. You could stuff a bowling ball in some of them!

Jason

1 - 20 of 22 Posts