MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Raptor master
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the news today it was mentioned that the ice sheet over Greenland was melting 10x faster than first thought - over three metres of depth have dissapeared in just a few months.

It's the biggest ice sheet in the world and scientists calculate that if it melts away the oceans (world over) would rise by 7 metres!!! :eek:

London would flood, most of Holland would go and New York would be in trouble, too. If you fancy a trip to the Maldives, GO NOW!!!

The fresh water effect would move the gulf stream away from Britain and northern Europe (er, like now? :mad: ) and it would get wetter and significantly colder.

So, drivers, what will have to happen before you change your habits? Can one nation go it alone? Should a nation lead by example or think bugger it, every one else doesn't care?

I'm not sure how far it will have to go before I change - and if the cast of EasterEnders all drown then by-and-large I would have to say 'get a bigger engine'. And once we really get 'proof', will it be too late anyway? :eek:

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
I have to admit, facts and figures like this are a bit worrying. However, I hear so many conflicting views it is hard to make a real judgement of the situation.

On a lighter note, I live on a big hill, so I needn't worry :p ;)

(Sorry, poor humour ;))

·
Animal
10,755 Posts
Almost all the temperature gains on the earth in the last century were made from 1915-1942 and from 1975-1995. What happened in those 33 years from '42-'75? We didn't stop releasing Co2 into the atmosphere and yet global temperatures actually fell in that period. If Co2 is the sole cause of global warming then how did the earth cool for 30 years when we were releasing as many, if not more, greenhouse gases than ever? :confused:

In my opinion most of the temperature changes the earth is facing are not man-made. The fact that sunspot activity is at a 1000 year high is not going to be reversed by me car sharing every 2nd thursday. :rolleyes:

The real problem that cars cause are air and water pollution. However, a modern car produces about 5% of the pollution of the same class of car of 20 years ago. The problem is becoming less, what are the real polluters in the atmosphere are fossil-fueled power plants. And they are here to stay because our ex-CND Prime Minister won't allow anymore nuclear power stations to be built. :rolleyes:

Does anyone want to buy a soapbox? Mint condition, never been used. Honest. :p

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
They used to run VW advertisements here in the states touting the fact that they could float. I wonder how well our Minis float? If they float, let it melt!

·
Shiredweller's Wife
2,732 Posts
Dale Gribble: "Global warming? Who cares. We'll just grow tomatoes in Alaska.
Hank Hill: "Dale, we live in south Texas. It's 104 degrees in the shade. If it gets to 105 I'm going to kick your ass just for saying that"

·
Registered
549 Posts
Of course its melting faster, the daytime temperatures here are way hotter than normal(+15% average in 2003 based on 80 years of verifiable records), so it follows that other places too have hotter than 'normal' spells.

In my opinion its all bunkum, car exhausts are putting out cleaner air than goes in at the scoop end, Global Warming is just a bunch of political hype to keep us all worried, in real planetray terms is just a cyclical change, Ice age coming, you mark my words. About 2080 I'm told we'll see the first effects. :)

·
Raptor master
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
firconel said:
In my opinion its all bunkum, car exhausts are putting out cleaner air than goes in at the scoop end, Global Warming is just a bunch of political hype to keep us all worried, in real planetray terms is just a cyclical change, Ice age coming, you mark my words. About 2080 I'm told we'll see the first effects. :)
Not that I'm a tree-hugger or anything, but there is a difference between 'pollution' - toxins and poisons - and the 'clean' emissions of just CO2 - cars may be cleaner (no lead and less NOx gasses) but the amount of CO2 is getting worse - cars are more fuel efficient than years ago (unless you have an MCS!!!) but there are vastly more of them. The current oil price is indicative - we are pumping more than ever and still can't meet demand.

I'm no expert and the people that are, are divided. Some learned folk think that we haven't actually properly come out of an Ice Age - so being saved by one is also a matter of despute. I have a nasty feeling that with China's growth in demand and no abatement in US consumption we will run out of oil before long anyway (enconomically viable stuff, anyway). Some reports say we will peak in production in 2010 and it's baaaad news from there on in.

Fuel cells are the dumbest idea yet (the power needed to refine and compress the hydrogen for a start, let alone the Hindenburg factor) and the and nuclear option (for charging electric cars) is just another timebomb.

I just heard the radio report and thought it might be a good topic for debate. Now I'm depressed. :(

I'm off out for a drive to cheer myself up!!!! :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cheatin Jockey said:
Not that I'm a tree-hugger or anything, but there is a difference between 'pollution' -

I just heard the radio report and thought it might be a good topic for debate. Now I'm depressed. :(

I'm off out for a drive to cheer myself up!!!! :D
Its a great topic for debate, I just think that there are ulterior motives at work.

As for China, I have a theory that the growth rate is unsustainable, its a South Sea Bubble economy, incredible growth now , but like a ballon it will eventually burst, with somehow catastrophic consequences for the whole area.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
its all the summer weather, people buy more ice lollys so they have to chizzel more ice, hence the disspeearing ice caps. thats my theory. scientists know nothing. :p :p

·
Raptor master
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
firconel said:
Its a great topic for debate, I just think that there are ulterior motives at work.
Are you suggesting that I'm trying to subvert OT&B? :confused: Or are you referring to wider alterior motives of the tree-hugger/corporate/political variety?

Driving a 3ltr motor myself, I'm not one to cast the first stone in this particular debate!!! :eek:

·
Raptor master
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RobHardyUK said:
its all the summer weather, people buy more ice lollys so they have to chizzel more ice, hence the disspeearing ice caps. thats my theory. scientists know nothing. :p :p
So that's what Firconel is talking about - there is a plot by the Danes to sell Greenland to Walls!!! :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
RobHardyUK
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing