MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people !
i buy a mini one 1.6i from 2005 and i wanna do a good check up to the car. but i have a question that i cant see nothing that tells me like " is that ! "
Well i buy a castrol gtx 5w40 , because i have made resources and no one have the right answer for that ! some guys says is better the 0w30 others the 5w40.
In the manual that i have in the car dont talk about the SAE itself , on talk about the certificate , BMW longlife 1.
So this oil have that certificate , but i see people saying that is good for warmer weather . I check the SAE tables , and the diference is the 0w30 can do from -40 to +30c and the 5w40 do from -30 to +40 .
so i think isnt a big diference there , i never had temperatures in scontland below -15 (with realfeel , witch is always higher ). soo, if i put this 5w40 will not burn my pistons rings in the starts ? or something else ?
I wainting for yours opinions !
Cheers mates !!

· Registered
21 Posts
I think it depends on age/climate, 0W30 for new engines/cold climate, 5W30 for average, 5W40 for hot climate/higher mileage.

My preference is Castrol Magnatec 5W30, bought in advance on the cheap whenever I see an offer. I'm a sucker for the advertising, but realistically any decent grade synthetic 5W30 will do (Eurocarparts, Halfords, etc, but they are not necessarily cheaper), regular checks & changes being more important than the exact brand of oil :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.