MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2010 Cooper S with the N18 engine on Saturday.

The previous owner bodged the repair of a pipe. It looks like an easy DIY replacement with just a couple of clips.

I can't find an engine diagram on here or elsewhere to help me identify the part so that I can buy a replacement.

Thanks in advance if one of you can tell me what it is.

mini pipe.jpg

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
this company do after market ones worth contacting them ask for black and N18 cooper s engine etc, or main dealers only prob need to take a chair with you so sit on before given the price they want for a piece of rubber pipe lol
turbo intake and breather return pipe ie is low pressure side

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @mike1967

That "y-shaped" hose clearly is not a direct replacement for the hose that I circled in red. Does it replace the much larger inlet pipe as well?

As an aside, I'm not sure if the inlet pipe is original (which looks like it has ribs in every picture I've seen) or has been replaced with a JCW item (which looks more like mine).

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
if you re read what i said contact the seller of that part ask them with your reg number to conform a part that does fit, genuine ribbed ones are main dealer only,, also some cars had a heater in the breather pipe end for nox emissions on first start up .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please accept my apologies @mike1967; I now realise you were not recommending that exact item.

That vendor has confirmed that they do not stock the piece that I need.

N14 Inlet pipes with the hose that joins the head from the side are available online all over the place. I can't find the same for the N18 with the hose that meets the head from the front. :(

...I think I can see why the previous owner had (badly) bodged a repair job, rather then replace the broken component!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This diagram pops up frequently online, showing the two variations.

I can't find the leftmost (smooth) intake (label 10) and the breather return pipe (label 19).

Aftermarket silicone versions of the side-entry (N14) version are plentiful. I can't find one with the front-entry though.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue as you when I bought my recent R58 S N18. Seems to be a common issue and they try and bodge the pipe.

I paid £93 for a genuine MINI replacement air duct pipe. Comes as one under the part number.

MINI Air Duct Intake Pipe
Part number: 13717627502

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Please accept my apologies @mike1967; I now realise you were not recommending that exact item.

N14 Inlet pipes with the hose that joins the head from the side are available online all over the place. I can't find the same for the N18 with the hose that meets the head from the front. :(

...I think I can see why the previous owner had (badly) bodged a repair job, rather then replace the broken component!
try this link below believe they make these kinds of pipes they might start making one if you point out its common on n18 to fail etc and would be good idea for them to produce one perhaps

·
Registered
9,110 Posts

.....................Please accept my apologies @mike1967; I now realise you were not recommending that exact item.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no need for a sorry its fine with me :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same issue as you when I bought my recent R58 S N18. Seems to be a common issue and they try and bodge the pipe.

I paid £93 for a genuine MINI replacement air duct pipe. Comes as one under the part number.

MINI Air Duct Intake Pipe
Part number: 13717627502

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that @reedy

Given that it seems that the OE is a weak point, it seemed sensible to go with @mike1967 aftermarket suggestion.

I spent a little extra and collected this (in black) from Forge at lunchtime and fitted it this afternoon.

Roadtested fine, so problem solved!

Thanks both of you again.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
think forge might get their pipes from that factory link i gave you or may even make their own ,,, dont anyone buy the china specials that are around they are all kinds of crap and tends to split on boost pipes a lot,
for anyone who just wants to repair the old one you can use stuff called tiger seal as a bonding agent on no boost side only, but still better to fit a new pipe,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts